Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this picture and see if this means anyone to anyone. It looks like the elbow feeding into the turbo has an oil film on it about two-thirds of the way around it.... that is something newly discovered. Any ideas what it could be or what potential problem it is? Or if is nothing to worry about?

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'll jump in and say that it does'nt look serious nor unusual of diesel engines in general. Diesel oil is pretty thin an can permeate sealed areas frequently. I would however keep an eye on it and bring it to the dealers attention at your next service. I'd clean it with some alcohol and see if it returns. Check for diesel fumes the next time the engine is warned up. Thanks for the post... now I have to go check mine!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree , it certainly could be "nothing"... Oil is full and everything else is running well. I will monitor it, but Not going to sweat it till it goes in for its 2nd service in July... Thank you....

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, I don’t know if it’s related, but the OP *may* be something......I got word earlier today that the reason my 20d shut down a few days ago w/ a “Limited Perfrmance” warning and no re-start was due to damage to the turbocharger at the oil seals. I thought of this post as soon as I heard. Turbocharger replacement at 42k miles. Getting a tad nervous that I’m approaching the end of the warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, I don’t know if it’s related, but the OP may be something......I got word earlier today that the reason my 20d shut down a few days ago w/ a “Limited Perfrmance” warning and no re-start was due to damage to the turbocharger at the oil seals. I thought of this post as soon as I heard. Turbocharger replacement at 42k miles. Getting a tad nervous that I’m approaching the end of the warranty.
I had the same thing happen in my 2017 20d RS 3 weeks ago but it was much more extreme. At 48K mileage, driving along in rush hour traffic (no more than 35 mph) and hit gas to change lanes, felt a stutter then loss of power but only minimal at first. Then I started Billowing (yes with a capital B) white/blue smoke out the tail pipe. With 0.5-0.75 miles I got pulled off into a secure parking lot of a mall and shut it down. At this point power was very limited. Towed to dealer. According to them there was a mounting bolt for the turbocharger that failed and this caused the turbo to dump oil into the exhaust, like all of it. 2.5 weeks later and (under warranty) the dealer replaced the turbo and entire exhaust system that was saturated with oil.
Yes, I too am looking into extended warranty/service contracts. Jaguar offers a 1) powertrain only, 2) mechanical only, 3) full vehicle service contract similar to EliteCare. I am still evaluating the cost effectiveness, however, after what just happened another 18 months or 12K miles and I would have been up a creek with a $10K-15K repair bill.

I am posting this because if you have a 20d and are in the 40K mile range I would highly recommend having the mounts/retaining bolts checked to avoid this catastrophe and expense.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I too am looking into extended warranty/service contracts. Jaguar offers a 1) powertrain only, 2) mechanical only, 3) full vehicle service contract similar to EliteCare. I am still evaluating the cost effectiveness, however, after what just happened another 18 months or 12K miles and I would have been up a creek with a $10K-15K repair bill.

I am posting this because if you have a 20d and are in the 40K mile range I would highly recommend having the mounts/retaining bolts checked to avoid this catastrophe and expense.
If you could, please post where these warranties could be researched and evaluated and the price you were quoted for each. It would be nice to know if we intend to keep beyond the 5/60 Warranty...

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you could, please post where these warranties could be researched and evaluated and the price you were quoted for each. It would be nice to know if we intend to keep beyond the 5/60 Warranty...
From what I was told you can get 1-5 years of one of them, but the cost varies by mileage when purchased. Wish I would have known when I bought because I would have gotten max then. Even if not keeping it greatly enhances resale value. You need to contact your dealer’s finance dept/manager for pricing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the price on it would scare me. I also don't think these were available when we purchased. Are these a factory backed JLR sponsored warranty? If not, I would run away...

The key for me will be how the vehicle is performing at the 5/60 mark. If it has been a no problem vehicle and pretty dependable... I may keep it a year or so longer w/o a warranty. But if there are problems brewing or occurring... It will be gone. I don't mess around with undependable vehicles....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the price on it would scare me. I also don't think these were available when we purchased. Are these a factory backed JLR sponsored warranty? If not, I would run away...

The key for me will be how the vehicle is performing at the 5/60 mark. If it has been a no problem vehicle and pretty dependable... I may keep it a year or so longer w/o a warranty. But if there are problems brewing or occurring... It will be gone. I don't mess around with undependable vehicles....
The warranty is direct from the dealer and if serviced at dealer there is no deductible. I was quoted about $7K for a 3/36 extension of the current Jaguar EliteCare. It was just over $10K for an additional 5/60 of the same.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The warranty is direct from the dealer and if serviced at dealer there is no deductible. I was quoted about $7K for a 3/36 extension of the current Jaguar EliteCare. It was just over $10K for an additional 5/60 of the same.
Personally I think that is crazy for a vehicle that will be worth less than 20K at the end of the warranty. There either were no extended warranties available when we bought, or they were not offered to us. It is true that if you buy in the 1st year of ownership, the extension price is much less. I only paid 1400.00 to extend my Grand Cherokee to 6/100 full coverage from 3/36 when new. Being a diesel this has been well worth it and paid back more than double.
Other than normal issues that every one else has had on here, and a few dealer Faux Pas, The vehicle has been really good for us. A great package of styling and economy that we wanted... Probably been in the shop less than the JGC for equal time owned. The key is how well it hangs in there. We shall see , as we will hit the 5 years before we hit the 60K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts