Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had my oil changed at a fast lube. They do a lot of high end European Car so I was not concerned.

Only 6000 Kilometers but six months old so I like to change the oil and filer at least every six months notwithstanding the Jaguar only calls for once a year given my mileage.

I have the S Model and the capacity in the manual, lists 6 Litres of Oil or 6.3 US Quarts.

I saw them put in exactly 6 Litres. I also am satisfied that they drained all the old oil because they took their time to make sure all the oil drained before reinstalling the drain plug.

The next day I drove about 10 Kilometers and when I checked the oil, it warned of an overfill. I took it back to the place that did the oil change the next day very close to my house and the owner told me to leave it and drive for about 30 kilometers because he told me he knows the engine and the oil guage will reset.

The day after I drove it another 10 kilometers and the next day another 10 kilometers. Now when I check the oil it indicates that it is about 1/2 litre below maximum but the oil level is okay.

Anybody know if I should add the 1/2 litre or just leave it because it says okay keeping in mind that I saw them put in the exact amount called for in the manual

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you know what type of oil they used? Curious as I am having a hard time finding Castrol Edge Professional E 0w20 JLR.51.5122 here in the US.
I don't think I would bother adding any more as you know they put in the correct amount.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Do you know what type of oil they used? Curious as I am having a hard time finding Castrol Edge Professional E 0w20 JLR.51.5122 here in the US.
I don't think I would bother adding any more as you know they put in the correct amount.
I'm curious about that too. I doubt fast lube joints stock it. My neighbour works for Castrol and mentioned it to me last summer when he first came over to chat about the vehicle. He actually mentioned it to me first in our conversation as he was aware of Jaguar's "special" oil recommendation for the F-Pace.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check Amazon.com
got my oil filter and oil there for my 6 month oil change

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would be very careful and be absolutely sure you have the correct oil. While i was in for the latest ICTP update i heard the service guys talking about a vehicle that needed a new engine that would not be covered under warranty because the wrong oil was used.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read some info about it on bobistheoilguy forum and it was also mentioned that there is some type of dye also in it. Not sure how true that is.

Thanks.

I am really interested to know what the difference is. Is their "engineered specifically for JLR" more of a "marketed specifically for JLR" or is there more to it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it wasn't what Jaguar wanted customers to use, why go to these lengths to stress the need to use it?

Hope you're OK torontoadvocate :|

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Purely out of curiosity, why screw around? Why not just get the dealer to do the oil change? I too did mine early out of an abundance of caution and I think it was like US$150 which is pricey but not terrible.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Purely out of curiosity, why screw around? Why not just get the dealer to do the oil change? I too did mine early out of an abundance of caution and I think it was like US$150 which is pricey but not terrible.
Agreed. Going cheap on oil recommendations/changes strikes me as rather foolish. Or rather, unnecessarily risky business. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
If it wasn't what Jaguar wanted customers to use, why go to these lengths to stress the need to use it?

Hope you're OK torontoadvocate :|
It's like the sponsor that pays to be advertised as the "only" oil to use.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
There are several manufacturers that make equivalent oils so as long as you use the correct weight and type, synthetic or whatever there won't be a problem. My preference is Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There are several manufacturers that make equivalent oils so as long as you use the correct weight and type, synthetic or whatever there won't be a problem. My preference is Mobil 1.
It appears there are special additives in the Castrol, that may not be available in other similar oils.
I would make sure any other "equivalent " oil is approved by Jaguar, before you use it !!!!

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
591 Posts
I saw them put in exactly 6 Litres. I also am satisfied that they drained all the old oil... The next day I drove about 10 Kilometers and when I checked the oil, it warned of an overfill... Now when I check the oil it indicates that it is about 1/2 litre below maximum but the oil level is okay.
Oil levels should be checked when the engine has been stopped for a good while to allow all of the oil to drain into the pan. Could it be that the first check which showed overflow was at higher temperatures so the oil drained down quicker? Though that new-fangled 0-20 weight oil probably flows like water so may not stay up in the engine for long and that would argue against that possibility.
In any case it doesn't sound like it from your description, but others may not know the drill...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Can you please share this equivalent Mobil 1 product you mention.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been spending a few days looking at oils that meet the following: JLR.51.5122

The only ones I have been able to find are the following and don't seem to be readily available or not at least in the USA.

Mobil 1™ ESP x2 0W-20
Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-20
Pro+Power Gold 0w/20 V Plus
Yacco Lube J 0W20

It seems like many of the oils that meet the new specs for Volvo's new engines also meet the specs for JLR.

I emailed Castrol this morning about the availability and this is what I received back:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer for the recommended grade and API specific to your application. This information can be found in the vehicles owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

In North America, Castrol EDGE Professional motor oils are only available in new car dealerships like Jaguar and Land Rover.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol. We value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

Reactions: Thunder and MTHM

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those in the US, this is specifically covered in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) as a "tie-in sales provision". Manufacturers are not permitted to require that specific parts, materials, or services (which only they provide) be used in order to maintain a warranty. As long as equivalent parts, materials, or services are used the warranty must be honored. It is the manufacturer's responsibility to prove that a part, material, or service was the proximate cause of a problem in order to be able to deny a warranty claim.

-Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts