Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get in the f-pace with the key. Press the brake and then press the start button (ignition). 9 out of 10 times no problem, but 10% of the time it starts to turn on and then stops. Last about 1/2 second. After that i push the button again and it starts fine. I am pushing the button with a full press.

Is anyone else having this problem? Not a big deal, just embarrassing.

I told the jaguar dealership when I got my 1 year service and they said a computer update would fix it. It did not.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,377 Posts
I get in the f-pace with the key. Press the brake and then press the start button (ignition). 9 out of 10 times no problem, but 10% of the time it starts to turn on and then stops. Last about 1/2 second. After that i push the button again and it starts fine. I am pushing the button with a full press.

I told the jaguar dealership when I got my 1 year service and they said a computer update would fix it. It did not.
This is happening to me as well, about the same % too. I’m not sure if I’m just pressing the button too quick, but a quick release of the break and press and it starts.

DP

·
Registered
114 Posts

I would suggest keeping the start button fully depressed until the engine is running.

·
Registered
555 Posts
This is kind of common. It's either a not pressing the brake pedal hard enough, not holding or having a good enough contact on the start button (sometimes I have my finger off the edge of the button on the trim), your finger hitting the button faster than your foot gets to the brake (or vice versa), or it's just a temporary disconnect in the communication between the two systems (brake and starter switch). A lot of systems are turning on when you first get in the car and it could just be a small hiccup or glitch, nothing major.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would think that these are good suggestions. But in the almost two years I've been driving the car I've noticed it about three times in the past two weeks. As creatures of habit starting the car is second nature. I have no idea why it would act up for a few of us around the same time. I'll definitely pay more attention as I start it moving forward. It could be coincidence, although a strange one.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would think that these are good suggestions. But in the almost two years I've been driving the car I've noticed it about three times in the past two weeks. As creatures of habit starting the car is second nature. I have no idea why it would act up for a few of us around the same time. I'll definitely pay more attention as I start it moving forward. It could be coincidence, although a strange one.
I don't have that exact problem, but I do have an issue where about 25% of the time, hitting the button either doesn't start, or doesn't stop the engine on the first try.

This is the fourth car I've had with push button start, and all three other cars worked flawlessly 100% of the time. So I understand there are probably ways that i could be more diligent about pressing it harder, pressing the brake harder, whatever which may or may not make a difference, but it should work better.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm very glad this came up, i have the exact same problem, and the frequency as well, about 10%.
I have tried to isolate as my start/stop does not work at all. I thought it was possibly related to the battery.
I am sure on at least 3 occasions that I was fully coordinated in my approach and it still does the error. In my case it isn't anything to do with how I turn on the vehicle. This is a very interesting issue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Same issue. Question for those with the problem, do you have the diesal? If so, like mine, does it happen mostly in the cold weather? I was told that the type of diesal I was buying was “dirty”. Solution was to add cetane booster. That worked for three months. I put in another bottle, worked again for three monthsish. Expensive solution at $20 a bottle from Jaguar. But it works for me.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Same issue. Question for those with the problem, do you have the diesal? If so, like mine, does it happen mostly in the cold weather? I was told that the type of diesal I was buying was “dirty”. Solution was to add cetane booster. That worked for three months. I put in another bottle, worked again for three monthsish. Expensive solution at $20 a bottle from Jaguar. But it works for me.
If its a delay or "No Start" as you call it and you have a diesel, It very well could be the preheaters or "Glow Plugs" trying to warm the engine before kicking over. Very common with diesels. Has nothing to do with Cetane booster...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here you go. This is the problem. https://youtu.be/Zu7MHCAdRQ4
Cetane booster did fix it. The dealer said that’s the problem. “Dirty” diesel in the area where I live gummed up the injectors. Cetane booster and Meijer gas apparently is the key. Meijer becuase it’s the cleanest diesel available. Cetane booster for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
If its a delay or "No Start" as you call it and you have a diesel, It very well could be the preheaters or "Glow Plugs" trying to warm the engine before kicking over. Very common with diesels. Has nothing to do with Cetane booster...
The BIG RIGS I drive , have warning messages on the Instrument Panel !
*Wait To Start* or *Engine Pre-Heat* !
They come on for a few seconds when you just turn the key , but before you start the vehicle ,
and we wait until they go out , before we turn it over !

Does the Diesel F-PACE have those warning lights ???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does not have those warning lights. How do you pre heat engine if you need to? The FPace has glow plug light, but that’s never come on during this problem. Again service manager explained this problem in detail and supplied the fix for diesels. He said a jaguar engineer came to the area and tested all local diesels, found Meijer’s to be the best so recommended that and the cetane booster. I have found a $5 liquimoli version that comes straight from Germany, can be found on amazon. I promise the people who are having this problem and drive diesel, the booster will fix your issue. Enuf said.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I hate to bust your bubble , but I live near the tank farms where fuel tankers go to fill before deliver to stations in about a 100 mile radius. A 24 hr a day operation... The same fuel Meijer gets is the same fuel that 7-11 gets and the same that most all of your local quik marts get. They all have different names on their rigs including brand names, But they all fill from the same mega million gallon tank. Only difference in diesel especially, is how long it sits at stations in the ground and/or if it gets water contaminated. Or if its Bio Diesel , which I do try to avoid….Never used an additive in any of my vehicles and have been driving Diesels of different makes for over 20 years. Change your fuel filters, Change your oil and keep moving.. Maybe a little anti gel if it gets well below zero.. But never had a fuel related problem...

You pre heat ( If you want to do it more than the vehicle itself wants to..) by pushing the start button without out foot on the brake. You can cycle this a few times if you think you need additional preheating. But I've started my jeep down to -15 sitting in a airport remote lot for a week. Just pushed start and it took about 15 sec of its own prescribed preheating, then took right off. It growled a little, but what wouldn't at that temp..
JMHO...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The BIG RIGS I drive , have warning messages on the Instrument Panel !
*Wait To Start* or *Engine Pre-Heat* !
They come on for a few seconds when you just turn the key , but before you start the vehicle ,
and we wait until they go out , before we turn it over !

Does the Diesel F-PACE have those warning lights ???

Modern "Automotive" diesels don't have those lights and determine via ambient temp and ECM what preheat is necessary, then they just DO it. Most automotive/SUV diesel drivers know nothing about how big rigs or farm tractors as diesels operate and they are much different. Even my old RAM Preheats with a warning light and it can be some time 60 sec or more on that 1000# Iron Block when it's cold. I always wait for it.... and... It always starts !:)

Reactions: Cat Lady

·
Registered
2 Posts

Same problem and same dealership story. They also replaced my starter and same issue. Any updates on the problem? What ended up happening? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm very glad this came up, i have the exact same problem, and the frequency as well, about 10%.
I have tried to isolate as my start/stop does not work at all. I thought it was possibly related to the battery.
I am sure on at least 3 occasions that I was fully coordinated in my approach and it still does the error. In my case it isn't anything to do with how I turn on the vehicle. This is a very interesting issue.
What ended up causing the problem?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts