Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, my F-Pace has 12,500 miles one of the first builds . Just last week a noise started from inside the center dash behind the analog speedometer. Mine does not have the digital clocks it has the needle gauges. The noise starts when you take foot off pedal and start to drive, sounds like a crackling small winding noise. Its not something lose because it does it also on a smooth road not just when going over bumps. I am suspecting the speedo cable but I may be wrong.

It did it for one day last week stopped and now it started again constant . Have not seen any other posts about this,

maybe it has to do with this post but mine does it all the time while driving not just turning,, comes from behind the dash,,
http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/f-p...creak-squeak-grind-noise-steering-column.html

Will not be able to take to dealer till saturday.

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you are correct .... it most likely is the speedo cable. The cable gears are made of plastic and sometimes a bumpy road can make them move slightly so that they are not engaging the speedometer cluster gear as tightly as they should. Hence the winding noise. Its more prevalent in early releases. I would have an independent mechanic (preferably older) diagnose it before taking it to the dealer to fix it. Not a big deal at all, but i would get it fixed sooner. Please keep us informed after resolved.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The days of transmssion speedometer drive cables is long gone....Even though the gauges are analogs, they are still totally electronic and are coupled to a speed transducer on the drive train somewhere....probably at the output of the transmission yoke, you'll fine the electronic pickup.

The noise has to be coming from something else..perhaps the cabin air sampling aspirator pump is the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
If I might suggest have a passenger use your phone and video the speedo and the noise and bring it to the dealer. Move the phone around to see if the noise gets louder. Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts