Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds familiar to a recent Thread. I guess they could have a problem but I think Auto Start/Stop could be contributing to this... Keep your foot on the brake people until you see the car in park and hear the parking break set or set it yourself. That should be par for the course in any car!

Rotary Shift Knobs Spark Another Rollaway Investigation

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Sounds familiar to a recent Thread. I guess they could have a problem but I think Auto Start/Stop could be contributing to this... Keep your foot on the brake people until you see the car in park and hear the parking break set or set it yourself. That should be par for the course in any car!

Im not sure what JLR would do if NHTSA finds an issue. The rotary shift knob is a staple in all JLR vehicles besides, I think, the F-type. Im not sure how the "rollaways" happened anyway because I turned the car off before while it was in "D" and it automatically goes to "P" before the rotary knob retracts into the console.

This will be interesting to see if NHTSA finds an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Sigh. I sincerely don't believe it's any technical issue, it's a user / training issue. Not enough time spent learning, not paying close enough attention when exiting the vehicle.

That's said, one improvement could be to activate the parking brake when the door opens, preventing the vehicle from moving even if it's not in park (my Audi does this).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sigh. I sincerely don't believe it's any technical issue, it's a user / training issue. Not enough time spent learning, not paying close enough attention when exiting the vehicle.

That's said, one improvement could be to activate the parking brake when the door opens, preventing the vehicle from moving even if it's not in park (my Audi does this).
Based on what I've seen with my F-Pace it won't move with the door open even when I take my foot off the brake. I don't think the parking brake disengages until the door is shut or you disengage it manually.

I posted this since it was news on JLR, but I seriously think this is a usability issue not a technical one like JWreck said. People need to keep their foot on the brake until the car is truely in park. I have found a few times that I rushed to move the dial to park, that it sometimes stops at reverse because I rushed it and didn't make sure I fully got it to the P. This is the same as with a automatic shifter with a stick, but it's easier to miss it due to the fact that Dial position is not something that muscle memory tends to pick up. With a stick auto, you often can "feel" that you don't have it in park and your muscle memory tells you the stick didn't go far enough. With the dial there is no real feel like that since you can grab the dial at different places.

Well that's my take, but it goes to say if you keep your foot on the brake until you see the car in P an hear the parking brake set you aren't going to have a problem, even if you leave the car running.

Reactions: bpmba

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Based on what I've seen with my F-Pace it won't move with the door open even when I take my foot off the brake. I don't think the parking brake disengages until the door is shut or you disengage it manually.

I posted this since it was news on JLR, but I seriously think this is a usability issue not a technical one like JWreck said. People need to keep their foot on the brake until the car is truely in park. I have found a few times that I rushed to move the dial to park, that it sometimes stops at reverse because I rushed it and didn't make sure I fully got it to the P. This is the same as with a automatic shifter with a stick, but it's easier to miss it due to the fact that Dial position is not something that muscle memory tends to pick up. With a stick auto, you often can "feel" that you don't have it in park and your muscle memory tells you the stick didn't go far enough. With the dial there is no real feel like that since you can grab the dial at different places.

Well that's my take, but it goes to say if you keep your foot on the brake until you see the car in P an hear the parking brake set you aren't going to have a problem, even if you leave the car running.
Yep, I've lazily "flicked" the dial over and done the same thing, but it was pretty clear when the backup camera came on.

But I also have my foot on the brake any time I'm sitting in the seat...benefit of driving standard transmissions my whole life.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

I said the same thing in that other thread where the guy was complaining about his mom. Never take your foot off the brake when stopped until the dial is turned all the way to "park." It is no different than a stick in the center console or a shifter on the steering wheel column. Your foot should always have the brake pedal depressed when the car is not in Park. This is basic stuff.

Moreover, I never take my foot off the brake until I see the "park" signal on the dash indicating the parking brake is activated. Otherwise, my foot doesn't lift. I don't know why everyone doesn't do the same.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
But I also have my foot on the brake any time I'm sitting in the seat...
Oh' , so you're one of those people that I see Accelerating on down the road ,
but at the same time , also has the "Brake Lights" On !!! ;)

I usually call those people "Old Farts" !!! Or "Non-Drivers" !!! >:)

Reactions: bpmba and JWreck

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Oh' , so you're one of those people that I see Accelerating on down the road ,
but at the same time , also has the "Brake Lights" On !!! ;)

I usually call those people "Old Farts" !!! Or "Non-Drivers" !!! >:)
Ah, sorry, I should have clarified.... I have my foot on the brake any time I'm in the seat and the car is not moving.

I've been known to left foot brake, but certainly don't ride with my foot touching the pedal. Not that old yet ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
I also have a Lexus NX and even though it has an auto parking brake when I put it in park and if I don't keep my foot on the brake for about 2 seconds after I put it in park the "Park" light does not come on but the car does not move anywhere.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I also have a Lexus NX and even though it has an auto parking brake when I put it in park and if I don't keep my foot on the brake for about 2 seconds after I put it in park the "Park" light does not come on but the car does not move anywhere.
Does the NX have an auto hold feature? i.e. it will hold itself when the brake is applied until the driver presses the gas pedal?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yes it does.
Never mind, was a little confused by your first post. I thought you were saying the NX doesn't go anywhere even if the parking brake isn't on. I was going to say the auto hold feature would explain that but I think I misunderstood what you were saying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts