Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on the UK forum. If true, would be nice:

Been to Solihull today to see the Velar (great car). Whilst there I asked the chap giving the talk about the Velar about Apple Carplay and how it was mentioned on the Jag website in January but disappeared soon after.
He said it will happen in about 9 months due to licensing issues and should be backwards compatible with all Ictp systems. Good news

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Found this on the UK forum. If true, would be nice:

Been to Solihull today to see the Velar (great car). Whilst there I asked the chap giving the talk about the Velar about Apple Carplay and how it was mentioned on the Jag website in January but disappeared soon after.
He said it will happen in about 9 months due to licensing issues and should be backwards compatible with all Ictp systems. Good news
What about Android? I refuse to join the Apple cult.

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
"Licensing issues" = how much Jaguar willing to pay to play?

PS: this would be fantastic!
PSS: Apple is no more of a cult than Jaguar, it's the premiere luxury brand in consumer electronics platforms

Reactions: Hwypirate

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Not sure that I'd call Apple a cult, but usually Car Play and Android Auto are both available on capable systems.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Lol, you make it sound as if we sacrifice goats at the base of a burning cross... we just upgrade to the newest iPhone every one or two years... Jeez! ;):D

I think the current system works well so I am in no hurry to get apple CarPlay, plug my phone in via USB and music plays fine, thats all I am worried about.

Reactions: Gorgon

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I hope, I hope, I hope, somewhat. Music will be great, but I also hope Apple improves the directions and mapping app that is leveraged in CarPlay. Not a fan on the current implementation.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Let's hope they light it off for both platforms, that's normally the case. I run rooted with custom ROMs on dual SIM phones so the cool-aid devices aren't something I'm going to switch to in order to get the functionality. In my cars with Android auto I only use the platform for maps from time to time so it isn't much of a loss to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lol, you make it sound as if we sacrifice goats at the base of a burning cross... we just upgrade to the newest iPhone every one or two years... Jeez! ;):D
That's what the Apple Genius told me last time. Is it not true anymore? It was on page 3,452, section D of the long thing you accept in iTunes.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
That's what the Apple Genius told me last time. Is it not true anymore? It was on page 3,452, section D of the long thing you accept in iTunes.
Yeah, totally forgot about that section... right next to the UFO landing in roswell and the secret recipe to coca cola! Totally slipped my mind ;)>:)

·
Administrator
1,970 Posts
I have "Siri Eye Free" in my NX, it works better than the system in the car. It would be great if it worked in the FP.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I hope, I hope, I hope, somewhat. Music will be great, but I also hope Apple improves the directions and mapping app that is leveraged in CarPlay. Not a fan on the current implementation.
Actually, it might be interesting to run Apple Maps on the iPhone along side the ICTP navigation to see if Apple Maps and Car Play would even be worth it. Personally, I'd actually be happier if Waze became an InControl App. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
The navigation piece of Carplay sucks. There is no earthly reason to use Carplay for navigation when you have something as pretty as ICTP.

That said, having text and Siri integration will definitely be a plus. I just want to let a little air out of your balloon about how "great" Carplay is. It's not a panacea. But just the hope that JLR might add this or other features to existing models gives me hope for continued development and improvement of the system.

Reactions: PA-FPace-F

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lol, you make it sound as if we sacrifice goats at the base of a burning cross...
Can you prove that you do not do those things? Until then, I will believe you do.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Apple feels like a cult to me. All that desperate lining up and camping out just to get another phone that is a minor improvement over the previous model. It's kind of like the Moonies, for those old enough to remember the Sun Yung Moon cultists. Steve Jobs, Sun Yung Moon. I wonder. Now Carplay. The desperate yearning for this Carplay thing is palpable.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Apple feels like a cult to me. All that desperate lining up and camping out just to get another phone that is a minor improvement over the previous model. It's kind of like the Moonies, for those old enough to remember the Sun Yung Moon cultists. Steve Jobs, Sun Yung Moon. I wonder. Now Carplay. The desperate yearning for this Carplay thing is palpable.
Well I think that you are talking about a relatively small number of Apple users. I love my Apple products, but never stood in line to buy one, much less camped out. Journey concert tickets on the other hand........

Although you don't appear to see any value in CarPlay, many people do and it only makes sense for JLR to pursue it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am so tempted to pull the ICTP out of the dash, open up the box and take a look a the stampings on the chips. We can learn a lot about what the guts of the system are comprised of by the chips. Maybe the 3G modem is also in the ITCP box.

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
I am so tempted to pull the ICTP out of the dash, open up the box and take a look a the stampings on the chips. We can learn a lot about what the guts of the system are comprised of by the chips. Maybe the 3G modem is also in the ITCP box.
3G communications is housed in a telematics unit independent of ICTP though obviously ICTP relies on the connectivity platform the telematics unit provides.

Trek, hasn't been a whole lot of camping out for new IPhones lately, I think your mental image is outdated.

I had occasion to be back in my old 4 Runner for two weeks recently with aftermarket CarPlay unit in it. Was reminded how much I like simplicity of the interface though I do tend to use the Pioneer navigation rather than Apple's. I'm assuming that IF CarPlay did make it into ICTP would be a similar setup that one could use either navigation system as sometimes Apple's is more useful, eg for quick voice driven destination input. I just want easy access to my podcasts which neither ICTP nor Jag handle well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts