Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. New owner and new to the forum. Picking up my new (to me) 2018 F Pace S in a few days. Carpathian grey, red / black interior, tech pack, comfort pack, driver pack, black pack. I've been wanting to buy one for years and I finally took the plunge. Was in the market for a 2017 (for budget reasons) but I found a deal on a 2018 that I had to jump on. So excited to pick it up. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any differences between the '17 and '18? Did anything change / improve at all?
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Your 18 should have a number of improvements over the 17s that were all little fixes from the Spring perches in the rear, to some body flex and sound improvements, to ICTP software updates, there were a number of fixes that your 18 should have. The on thing I would work out with your dealer if that is possible is to make sure that your car has all the ICTP software updates before you take delivery.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Also the '18 MY upgraded the telematics unit to 4G vs. the 3G units in the '17 MY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies. What is ICTP software? And the upgrade to the telematics means what exactly? These words don't mean much to me... haha
Also, I've seen the letters MY all over the forum and I still can't figure out what they mean... sorry for the amateur questions lol I'm learning.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Simple explanations
ICTP=The optional infotainment system, larger screen, no buttons (In Control Touch Pro)
ICT= Standard infotainment system (In Control Touch) smaller screen, buttons on the sides
MY= Model Year
Telematics=Module that connects to infotainment system via WiFi or cellular.

·
Registered
'17 F-Pace First Edition
39 Posts
Also the '18 MY upgraded the telematics unit to 4G vs. the 3G units in the '17 MY.
Anyone know if my '17 First Edition that was from June-2016 production date can somehow get the telematics to run 4G in Canada? I saw the 4G indicator on when I was driving in the US but I have NEVER seen the 4G indicator in Canada. I have tried the original included SIM that was still valid up to earlier this month and now I am using my own SIM from Rogers. Still only getting 3G but now I can try in the US.

After much research, the InControl has another integrated SIM, which is different than the removable one in the glovebox. It is a mess and costly to renew after the included 4-year subscription is up.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
2017 is 3G from your SIM card in the armrest compartment.
I believe If you turn off mobile data and tether your phone, you can get the phones 4G. Never tried that though. 3G works pretty well for me.
When I use Apple CarPlay, it shows my phones status. 4G, LTE or 5GE.

Reactions: pat604

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,363 Posts
Anyone know if my '17 First Edition that was from June-2016 production date can somehow get the telematics to run 4G in Canada? I saw the 4G indicator on when I was driving in the US but I have NEVER seen the 4G indicator in Canada. I have tried the original included SIM that was still valid up to earlier this month and now I am using my own SIM from Rogers. Still only getting 3G but now I can try in the US.

After much research, the InControl has another integrated SIM, which is different than the removable one in the glovebox. It is a mess and costly to renew after the included 4-year subscription is up.
The 2017 3G capable only, it’s interesting that you saw the 4G indicator, the only thing I can thing of is the indicator is set by the carrier cell tower, and in the US you were probably on an AT&T tower, they are know for changing there signal identifier, just look at there 5GE

The second sim is built in to the car and is a totally separate system.

I was told the telematics module can’t be upgraded, because there is more that just swapping a box Involved, mine was swapped out 4 times in my my car. I’m surprised the 2017 came with 3G in 2016 we were fully in to LTE which is a step above 4G and as you know much faster, when I had my 2017 It came with an AT&T 90 day service, after that I installed my own T-Mobile card everything was great until January of 2018 I was no longer getting a 3G indicator or speed it had dropped down to 2G Edge. Well after awhile at the dealer and testing with AT&T cards at the dealer they would show 3G, so it was T-Mobile. Called T-Mobile worked with there Level 2 support, they were able to look at the tower I was Connected to and read the equipment in the car, that’s when I was told T-Moble had taken down (Phased our) all the 3G in Dallas on the current channel U1900 and reallocated it to LTE, it moved 3G signal to a different channel, I was then told the Telamarics in our cars did not have the the new channel T-Mobile was using for the 3G now and only 2 channels that T-Mobile used. Now it had the ablity to pick up the U1900 channnle which was 4G now but car could not understand or processes it. So I had to either use AT&T that used different channels or use the hotspot on my iPhone and that would use Wi-Fi speed. So I did that till I got my 2019 and put the T-Mobile card from my 2017 in the new car and it came up 4G.

I would just use the 3G speed it fast enough for what you need, if you want faster tether to your phone and it will be as fast as your phones wi-fi speed

Thanks
DP

here is the original post from 2018 That I made where is has the maker amd specs of the 2017 Telamtics if you want to read it.

here is a post showimg the unit and where it located in the car

·
Registered
'17 F-Pace First Edition
39 Posts
Thanks DP. Your information is very helpful. I guess there is really no reason for me to use the car's web browsing or providing hot-spot for people in my car. I understand from JLR support that the 3G or 4G indicator on the top right corner of our ICTP is only for the removable SIM.

I believe the Connrected Service features are running under the Integrated SIM in the telematic module.

I had a good read of the 2 articles you are kindly brought forward on this post and I have provided some additional information I had experienced.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,363 Posts
Thanks DP. Your information is very helpful. I guess there is really no reason for me to use the car's web browsing or providing hot-spot for people in my car. I understand from JLR support that the 3G or 4G indicator on the top right corner of our ICTP is only for the removable SIM.

I believe the Connrected Service features are running under the Integrated SIM in the telematic module.

I had a good read of the 2 articles you are kindly brought forward on this post and I have provided some additional information I had experienced.
Happy to help

DP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts