Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you update to IOS 13 on Thursday September 19, you should have the new and improved CarPlay available. Looks really good.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, I've been running this version of CarPlay since around May. It has worked very well over the last couple months after they got all the bugs out. Google maps has also been slowly improving and if using satellite view for Navi is your thing, it's works pretty awesome. Siri has also been improved and works very well also for a variety of normal tasks you might want to leverage while driving. I only wish you could set Siri to use Google Maps for Navigation. I'm still not a fan of Apple Maps for navigation.

The other thing that changed quite a bit is the UI for Music, much improved. You can see UpNext and a variety of there new features along with better album graphics.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've been looking forward to this but didn't jump on any of the betas this year to try it out. Can wait for the final release later this week.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only wish you could set Siri to use Google Maps for Navigation. I'm still not a fan of Apple Maps for navigation.
It may do what you’re asking.
This is from a CNET article about CarPlay IOS 13:

“Siri's been given more capability with the iOS 13 update, as well. It can now work with third-party navigation apps, so if you say something like, "Navigate to coffee using Google Maps," it'll bring up coffee suggestions in Google Maps, rather than forcing you to use Apple's stuff.”

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'll give that a try on the ride home.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those planning on doing the IOS 13 update tomorrow, it's always a good idea to do an iCloud backup before the upgrade.
As an extra precaution, I do a backup to my computer using iTunes as well.
I usually wait a few days to update, but I'm really itching to try the new CarPlay.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The new iOS comes out today, should be around 12PM central time +/- 30 mins based on the last 10 years of updates.

It’s good to know that it a few members already have tested it and find that works with our current ICTP, that seems to have been an issue in the past.

I personally remove my F-PACE profile from Bluetooth from the phone before a major update. Then from my car. Then I reconnect my phone back to the car. It only takes a minute so it’s a fresh connection.

DP

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the update. CarPlay worked great. No problems, nice new layout. “Hey Siri” worked as before for me without having to push the steering wheel button. Interestingly enough, remote start, which hadn’t worked in a long time, worked again.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Here are the notes for the new car play in iOS 13

CarPlay

• All-new CarPlay Dashboard with your tunes, turns, and smart Siri suggestions on one screen
  • All-new Calendar app with a view of your day, option to drive to or dial in to meetings, and contact meeting organizers
  • Apple Maps redesign with Favorites, Collections, and Junction View for China
  • Apple Music album art to easily find your favorite song
  • Do Not Disturb while driving now available in CarPlay
DP

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
More observations.
Siri voice more lifelike and Siri screen display less obtrusive.
More descriptive turn instructions. Turn at light vs. turn in 500 ft.
Album art is large scale and much improved.
ETA to contacts to be added September 30th.
Improved Apple Maps.
Text messaging improvements. Added phone functionality.
Calendar view with ability to navigate if address entered, but current day only.
Very little lag. All round great update. (y)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Here is a before and after of the Apple CarPlay.

This is the new iOS 13 look.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm already running 13.1 since I'm a developer. If you are interested, you might be able to get on the 13.1 beta testing group if you want. I think you just need to go to the Apple Website and sign up for beta testing here:

Apple Beta Testing Link

I think we are on the 4 beta release of 13.1 and I haven't found many things that don't yet work. I have had Google Maps reboot a few times over the last 3 weeks when following a route, but other than that my watch (which is on WatchOS 6 and the phone have been working fine. I have a iPhone XS Max right now.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I should note that I'm hoping someone comes out with any Apple Car Play weather app, that seems to be a big miss in the list of apps for CarPlay right now. I would prefer to not have to jump back into the Jag software to get the weather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts