Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving from Denver to Aspen navigation really really wanted me to go over Independence Pass. Trouble is it's closed in winter. So, nav. not smart enough to know that. Had to put Glenwood Springs in as a way point to force it to go I-70 to Glenwood.

Reminds me of some dangerous nav system misses in Telluride like the 18 wheeler who followed his nav system to two switchbacks up black bear road before jackknifing in middle of the night. black bear is one of the most notoriously difficult and dangerous jeep roads in Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
I have never seen a navigation system that know the best way to get anywhere. In most cases I look at Google maps before I leave the house. I still program my destination into the system and start in the direction that I am familiar with and the system changes its route as we go. Once I am no longer familiar with the area I let the navigation system finish the route. That happens with all my vehicles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's why I always use Waze/google/apple--haven't had them route me through with a major mistake like that in years. Apple was good for some major mistakes like that the first few years but is pretty reliable now.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Driving from Denver to Aspen navigation really really wanted me to go over Independence Pass. Trouble is it's closed in winter. So, nav. not smart enough to know that. Had to put Glenwood Springs in as a way point to force it to go I-70 to Glenwood.

Reminds me of some dangerous nav system misses in Telluride like the 18 wheeler who followed his nav system to two switchbacks up black bear road before jackknifing in middle of the night. black bear is one of the most notoriously difficult and dangerous jeep roads in Colorado.
I saw a news article a few weeks ago about folks that got stuck on that pass or one similar following their navi systems. It seems that most navi systems, other than the phone ones from Google and Apple, which are updated very frequently, have challenges in that respect.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes, unfortunately both the routing and destination still leave a lot to be desired. Dropped a passenger off at an airport yesterday and the directions wanted to deposit me in a parking lot some miles from the terminal. Fortunately, we had some spare time and I knew the airport layout from earlier times.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not whining, but just another small deficiency. The navigation system in our 8 year old XF routinely alerts us to upcoming toll booths. Unfortunately the data in the ICTP system does not seem to be able to support this .... no advance warning or recognition. JLR does not seem to have chosen the best supplier here.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Not whining, but just another small deficiency. The navigation system in our 8 year old XF routinely alerts us to upcoming toll booths. Unfortunately the data in the ICTP system does not seem to be able to support this .... no advance warning or recognition. JLR does not seem to have chosen the best supplier here.
It may very well be that Jaguar did not choose that set of data. Navteq which was bought by Nokia (HERE) and later sold to BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz supplies most of the auto industry with data and mapping software including POI's etc. My old MB used to tell me about approaching toll booths. Not sure if either of my Lexus vehicles tell me as I have not used the navigation much. The data is available I guess just another oversite by JLR.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I don't really use NAV very often , as I usually just read the Highway signs and drive ! BTW , when I am on Toll Roads , I have noticed that there are signs that say "Toll Booth" up ahead ! That way I know I am coming up on one ! ;)

Reactions: flyboy

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting update to this routing issue from a trip this weekend:
1) entered my destination in ICTP as a hotel in Aspen before 3G connection was booted up; routing was across closed-in-winter independence pass, cancelled it
2) re-entered after 3G booted, navigation then knew Independence Pass was closed so routed me correctly, I70 to Glenwood Springs to Aspen, seemed to be based on real time traffic info.
3) if I now try to enter into Route Planner on phone tries to take over Independence Pass

So....most accurate routing is done in vehicle with access to real time traffic and route planner on phone, etc doesn't access traffic info. Will try entering in route planner then access in vehicle to see if nav changes route once downloaded to vehicle, 99% sure it will.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My X5 would switch right and left sometimes. The arrow would point left and the voice would say to turn right. All nav systems have shortcomings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts