Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came from a 2013 BMW 5 series and the navi always shows traffic info, ie red for heavy congestion.
But my new F Pace S has to have mobile data card activated to show that. when it runs out after 3 months I have to re-up, it's an expense. How does my BMW do that without mobile data..without paying/signing up anything extra??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kleong,

There are 2 main methods of delivering traffic data: Internet Data (always requiring some form of cellular connection, and usually some form of subscription), and over-the-air radio based traffic data (no subscription/network connection required - it picks the signals up over the air). The vast majority of vehicles use the latter because it is free. BMWs, Mercs, all previous models of JLR vehicles. They pick up traffic incident data broadcasts in your region and display it in the Nav. This has been the standard for the last 5-8 years or so. Recently, internet/cloud based data has actually started becoming more accurate. Thes is because vehicles can report to the cloud where they encounter traffic, etc., as well as having it pull in data from many different internet linked sources. This is the now preferred, premium way of getting nav data.

Which provides better/more accurate data will depend on where you are located. The radio based traffic tends to be in major metropolitan centres, while the internet based traffic seems to cover broader areas. However, if there are few data points being input for your region it might be less accurate.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Peter

Then as a follow up what if you use your smart phone as a hot spot. I know that when I'm near my house it picks up my home network and it sees my smart phone's hot spot when I turn it on. Have not used my Nav yet as I have not the need. Your thoughts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ken that works as well. The car doesn't care _how_ it gets the network connection, just that it has one. Therefore you can use a SIM card with a data plan, or you can connect to a hotspot (like your home or your smart phone's hotspot). I tested this because I didn't get my SIM card until the second day, so for the first day, I just connected the car to my phone's hotspot and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ken that works as well. The car doesn't care _how_ it gets the network connection, just that it has one. Therefore you can use a SIM card with a data plan, or you can connect to a hotspot (like your home or your smart phone's hotspot). I tested this because I didn't get my SIM card until the second day, so for the first day, I just connected the car to my phone's hotspot and it worked perfectly.
I can vouch on this as well. I have yet to get a sim and my car connects to my house and/or phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the explanation Peter.
So is there a way for my FP to switch to over-the-air radio based traffic data when my SIM runs out? I find it to be very accurate. If not, can you explain how to connect it to a hotspot?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Peter.
So is there a way for my FP to switch to over-the-air radio based traffic data when my SIM runs out? I find it to be very accurate. If not, can you explain how to connect it to a hotspot?
Unfortunately not - the F-Pace (and all new jags with ICTP) only support the internet based traffic - they don't have the over the air traffic receivers. To connect your car to a hotspot (like one from your phone), first make sure the car is in range of the hotspot ( in the case of the phone, make sure you have switched on its mobile hotspot functionality. Then in the car click on the "gear" icon on the bottom of the ICTP screen. This takes you to a settings pop-up. Touch "All Settings" then "Features". Scroll to find the "Connectivity" option and touch it. Click the slider button beside "Wifi" to enable it. Follow the prompts to choose the name of your hotspot and enter the password and voila, you should be set!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is this information still current? My initial three months will be running out shortly. What will not work if I don't activate a plan or the hotspot on my phone?

For those of you using the plan, about how much data are you using a month from AT&T? What does your average bill run?

I dropped them two years ago and went with Verizon on my phones after they wouldn't give me a phone when my blackberry finally died. I had been a 30 year customer and they gave phones to new people right off the street and didn't take care of the folks who had been with them forever and a day!

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
As previously stated you can use your phone as a hot spot for the car and not need the SIM.

·
Registered
378 Posts
As previously stated you can use your phone as a hot spot for the car and not need the SIM.
Correct, but how much ADDITIONAL data does it burn a month? Unfortunately I am not on an unlimited plan.

·
Registered
307 Posts
pretty sure it's negligible. I even turned on satellite maps during the trial and never hit their limit. probably well under 1GB a month.
Unlimited is the way to go, cheaper than at&t on a 2nd SIM unless you have a 1GB plan on your phone or something.

best way to find out for sure though, turn on your hotspot, and only connect it to your car for a week. see how much data your hotspot has used (other apps should show up under their own data counts), multiply by 4 or so, and there you go. low risk of hitting your max, and an accurate count of average data usage without speculation.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I drive 3-4k miles per month and use the nav features quite a bit. It seems to use 5-10MB per day sometime a little more. The only time I have come close to my monthly 1GB limit is when my son goes on a trip with me and uses the wifi hotspot to watch videos and surf.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Just buy the ATT yearly plan, it's a good deal, zero hassle, zero stress, way plenty of data.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just buy the ATT yearly plan, it's a good deal, zero hassle, zero stress, way plenty of data.
What do you pay and what is the plan called, as I can't find a "yearly data plan?"

It is always nice to say VZX-CO only pays $100 a year, why won't you do the same for me!

Does VZX stand for Verizon?

Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Sorry, $150 a year not $100. Again, at least for me, that buys more than enough data for what ICTP consumes. If that's a stretch financially one probably shouldn't be buying a luxury SUV/crossover.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am paying on a month-to-month @ $10 for 1GB. Automatically charges the card each month.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I agree, I don't like using my phone as a Hotspot as it itself gets hot and I usually forget to turn it off... Not worried about 100 or 150 a year if it gets me all the features and keeps the car live and updated. You never know when you will need it or in what situations.....And they usually aren't close to home ! :eek:

Reactions: VZX-CO
1 - 18 of 18 Posts