Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with the GM at my dealership - she had just gotten off the phone with Jaguar North America. Apparently, the issue with the hitch software is not just with my car, it is an issue across the board with all 2018s where they would be trying to install the hitch at Port (I'm still not clear on the whole issue of why the hitch was not factory installed, but at this point, it's gone way beyond trying to get an answer to that basic question).

Jaguar currently has no fix for whatever the problem is, so they are going to start releasing these vehicles to dealers without the hitch. At some point, when it's been resolved, the local dealer will need to do the install work. Not the most thrilling option, since it requires a service appointment in the future, but at least it's progress of a sort.

I have been assured (and am taking said assurance with about a pound of salt) that my vehicle will be available for handover by the end of the month.
That works fine for me, since I'm leaving for a little vacay on Thursday morning to Montreal. I will drown my sorrows in poutine, and hope for the best next week.;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Bad news: So... if the hitch was installed by Jaguar it will be removed by dealer then added back? If so seems like a waste of time and resources. Just tell the new owners not to use the hitch until the software issue is fixed.

The Good news: Jag just hired 500 engineers who will help to resolve this issue in no time....

Reactions: L-PACE

·
Administrator
1,974 Posts
So, was there a software issue that they could not install it at the factory and it was expected to be installed at the Port of Entry? Not sure that there is actual software involved with the tow hitch itself.

·
Registered
268 Posts
is the software problem with the back up sensors or the lighting pigtail for the trailer?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Unless the F-Pace Hitch has something different then ever before , most Standard Hitches just have *Electric* for the Trailer Brakes & Lights ! I don't think that would require *software* ???

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is this problem just with the 2018s? My 2017 came with the factory installed hitch but I ordered it more for my bike rack than anything else. If I decide to buy something that needs to be trailered am I going to have a problem?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Is this problem just with the 2018s? My 2017 came with the factory installed hitch but I ordered it more for my bike rack than anything else. If I decide to buy something that needs to be trailered am I going to have a problem?
As long as you have the *Electrical Outlet Plug* under the rear bumper beside your Hitch , you should be able to tow a trailer !

Reactions: JK8112

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got off the phone with the GM at my dealership - she had just gotten off the phone with Jaguar North America. Apparently, the issue with the hitch software is not just with my car, it is an issue across the board with all 2018s where they would be trying to install the hitch at Port (I'm still not clear on the whole issue of why the hitch was not factory installed, but at this point, it's gone way beyond trying to get an answer to that basic question).

Jaguar currently has no fix for whatever the problem is, so they are going to start releasing these vehicles to dealers without the hitch. At some point, when it's been resolved, the local dealer will need to do the install work. Not the most thrilling option, since it requires a service appointment in the future, but at least it's progress of a sort.

I have been assured (and am taking said assurance with about a pound of salt) that my vehicle will be available for handover by the end of the month.
That works fine for me, since I'm leaving for a little vacay on Thursday morning to Montreal. I will drown my sorrows in poutine, and hope for the best next week.;)
I had the same problem with my 2018. However, they did not discover the issue until the F-Pace was at the dealer. It took them 2 weeks to figure out the that the hitch module was causing the communications issue that they were having when trying to unlock/update other modules. Apparently they had installed a 2017 hitch module at the port. Once the module was removed, all the other systems then worked correctly.

Since I only use my hitch for a bike rack (no electronics needed), I agreed to take the F-Pace without the module installed and they would notify me when a working module was available. Note that there is still a physical trailer hitch installed. Only the electronic module is currently missing so I can not use it with a trailer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same problem with my 2018. However, they did not discover the issue until the F-Pace was at the dealer. It took them 2 weeks to figure out the that the hitch module was causing the communications issue that they were having when trying to unlock/update other modules. Apparently they had installed a 2017 hitch module at the port. Once the module was removed, all the other systems then worked correctly.

Since I only use my hitch for a bike rack (no electronics needed), I agreed to take the F-Pace without the module installed and they would notify me when a working module was available. Note that there is still a physical trailer hitch installed. Only the electronic module is currently missing so I can not use it with a trailer.
I'm sure that's what happened with mine, as well. Luckily, my MINI has a hitch for tugging my GO camper (little 800lb. pop-up), so it won't be a big deal to wait until they get the module/software issues sorted.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: moonshine

·
Registered
473 Posts

@L-PACE - my hunch is that can thank T256 for delayed release of your pre-ordered 2018 car. As far as I can tell all the 2018 petrol cars got released but not yours. My best guess is that once JLR discovered the software glitch related to hitch connection all other cars with the hitch were put on hold. However in your case it's probably for the best since you need to use the hitch immediately.

I have a hitch on my pre-order plus mine is diesel as well. If they still have the software glitch once they start releasing diesels I will need to ask to release mine and do the same what T256 does - patiently wait for software issue being resolved since I don't have an immediate need for towing.

Reactions: moonshine

·
Registered
125 Posts

Interesting information. I will be emailing my salesman and asking him to be sure to check on this since my vehicle has so much time to just sit there anyway. My vehicle arrived in port early June and was delivered to the dealership on June 19th so I am guessing mine may have the same issue. i have no current plans to tow anything when I pick it up in August but I don't want to have any issues if/when I do want to use the tow hitch. Plus, I don't have two weeks for them to mess around trying to figure it out once they start the dealer prep just before I come home.

Reactions: MTGRL

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Curious as to why they're installing at the port. I believe the 2017's were factory installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Tow Hitch works w/o brake output

@L-PACE - my hunch is that can thank T256 for delayed release of your pre-ordered 2018 car. As far as I can tell all the 2018 petrol cars got released but not yours. My best guess is that once JLR discovered the software glitch related to hitch connection all other cars with the hitch were put on hold. However in your case it's probably for the best since you need to use the hitch immediately.

I have a hitch on my pre-order plus mine is diesel as well. If they still have the software glitch once they start releasing diesels I will need to ask to release mine and do the same what T256 does - patiently wait for software issue being resolved since I don't have an immediate need for towing.
My 2018 F-PACE delivered last month with a factory installed Tow Hitch but no o/p on the brake line that we could find. This sent me on a wild goose chase tracing empty fuse and relay sockets marked with trailer symbols that turned out to be for a retractable hitch. Hooking the FP factory hitch up to my boat trailer (10,000#) proved all was functional including the brake lights but nothing on the proportional brake actuator output. With that much weight I was about to try it either.

The function may be there but not visible w/o trailer being attached. JLR's trailer assist software monitors the attached trailer for a variety of reasons including operable lamps, load adjustments and sway control. Sway control w/o braking seems unlikely. I pick up my ALTO in Quebec next week so stay tuned.

The back-up to hitch-up process was a dream. Aside from the great guide lines it zooms in on the final approach.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts