Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've been here, so this may have been addressed already. I've searched the forum but didn't turn anything up.

I'm taking my car in for it's annual service tomorrow morning and I'm begging them once more to complete all the software updates. My dealer thinks that my 2017 F-PACE S cannot be updated to include the Smartphone Pack due to the VIN falling outside of the eligible range. Has anyone else been told that the Smartphone Pack cannot be installed on their car due to the VIN?

I'm sitting at 18C today.

My VIN ends in 075930 - does anyone have an older VIN than mine AND actually have the Smartphone Pack installed? I need to know if my dealer is stupid or if JLR screwed me over here. Thanks all!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pretty sure its covered somewhere. I had the same issue with my 2017. They cannot/will not install the smart phone pack. very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Oki,

This is puzzling to me and I would think it's just your dealer not wanting to do the software upgrade necessary for you to get CarPlay. I had a 2017 First Edition with a very early VIN, don't remember it now, and since I've now gone to the SVR I don't think I have anything that would have the VIN range documented, but I got my car on August 1st of 2016, it was built in June or July, so it's a very early build. With that said, I had the latest version of the software and CarPlay installed by a dealership in the Philly area for no charge. My normal dealership was saying they weren't authorized to install it, but I called the alternative dealership that was about 20 minutes further away and it wasn't a problem.

I don't know your situation with dealer access, but I might try a different dealership if I were you. The only exception to this is if you aren't in the US. There are some challenges for CarPlay installs due to global geography that I've think is documented elsewhere on the forum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure its covered somewhere. I had the same issue with my 2017. They cannot/will not install the smart phone pack. very frustrating.
Is your VIN before or after mine?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oki,

This is puzzling to me and I would think it's just your dealer not wanting to do the software upgrade necessary for you to get CarPlay. I had a 2017 First Edition with a very early VIN, don't remember it now, and since I've now gone to the SVR I don't think I have anything that would have the VIN range documented, but I got my car on August 1st of 2016, it was built in June or July, so it's a very early build. With that said, I had the latest version of the software and CarPlay installed by a dealership in the Philly area for no charge. My normal dealership was saying they weren't authorized to install it, but I called the alternative dealership that was about 20 minutes further away and it wasn't a problem.

I don't know your situation with dealer access, but I might try a different dealership if I were you. The only exception to this is if you aren't in the US. There are some challenges for CarPlay installs due to global geography that I've think is documented elsewhere on the forum.
Good to know, but it sounds like you were running into the same thing. Unfortunately my dealership is 5 miles away; the next closest one is 100 miles away.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oki,

Your FE beat me by 1 month.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
So Okie I would think you should be able to install it then. The 2017s built after my FP should not have anything really different that would keep them from getting CarPlay. At least I would think making a change that quickly would not be something Jag would have done. They were dragging their feet on so many other changes at the time. I think your situation and Chapps is simply a dealer not being customer focused and not wanting to suck up the time necessary to do the full software install and add CarPlay.

The only exception to this and I should have stated it previously, is that you have ICTP and not ICT, but I assumed you do since you noted the 18C software.

·
Registered
871 Posts
When the service writers check your VIN in their desktop Topix, it shows a simplistic view of outstanding campaigns, which is what I see in my Topix.
I've been told several times no updates for my VIN number. ICTP updates are generally not tied to VIN numbers.
I have to explain that there are updates that will appear when the mechanic hooks the vehicle up to the SDD computer (or Pathfinder for MY 18 and newer). I give them the latest software version number and tell them to consult the mechanic and ask him.
Lo and behold, they tell me yes, you're correct. Happened with ICTP updates and extras like the winter wiper mode.

That being said, there could be a range of early VINs that are incapable of upgrade to CarPlay, but it sounds likes standard BS to me.
The inconsistent level of knowledge between dealerships is astounding to me.

I upgraded to 18C at my last yearly service in Dec 2018 to get CarPlay and its been fine.
Topix currently shows:
H232-Software Over The Air (SOTA)- Incontrol Touch Pro Software Update.
This one is a little different, as it is meant to get all vehicles SOTA capability without further Dealer intervention.
That should bring me to 19B at my Dec 2019 service.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the service writers check your VIN in their desktop Topix, it shows a simplistic view of outstanding campaigns, which is what I see in my Topix.
I've been told several times no updates for my VIN number. ICTP updates are generally not tied to VIN numbers.
I have to explain that there are updates that will appear when the mechanic hooks the vehicle up to the SDD computer (or Pathfinder for MY 18 and newer). I give them the latest software version number and tell them to consult the mechanic and ask him.
Lo and behold, they tell me yes, you're correct. Happened with ICTP updates and extras like the winter wiper mode.

That being said, there could be a range of early VINs that are incapable of upgrade to CarPlay, but it sounds likes standard BS to me.
The inconsistent level of knowledge between dealerships is astounding to me.

I upgraded to 18C at my last yearly service in Dec 2018 to get CarPlay and its been fine.
Topix currently shows:
H232-Software Over The Air (SOTA)- Incontrol Touch Pro Software Update.
This one is a little different, as it is meant to get all vehicles SOTA capability without further Dealer intervention.
That should bring me to 19B at my Dec 2019 service.
Thanks! So 19B is the current build I should request, with H232?

·
Registered
871 Posts
H232 was introduced prior to 19B which only came out a few days ago, but 19B is the latest software as of today.

·
F Pace Expert
2,696 Posts
My S with ICTP was manufactured July 4, 2016, no problem putting on smart pack and have had CarPlay since it was released.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My S with ICTP was manufactured July 4, 2016, no problem putting on smart pack and have had CarPlay since it was released.
That is both awesome and at the same time really ticks me off that I've been given such a runaround. They told me last time I had it in that SDD wouldn't allow them to push the Smartphone Pack for whatever reason that they couldn't explain. It took me two attempts to get them to upgrade it from 17a to 18c.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know. My manufacture was around July 2016, early September delivery. So I'm probably right between you guys. I'm going to chalk it up to a frustrating dealer. We'll see how much more frustrated I am with them after tomorrow.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guess what? Turns out that they CAN do the upgrade now after all, for $299. I had also requested they enable OTA updates, and the call came back that they'd have to talk to the service manager to find out how much it will cost me to get that enabled. LOL. You'll do it for no charge, that's how much it will cost me.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This is frustrating. The dealer went through the hard part of updating the ICTP to 18C but didn't click the check box for the Smartphone pack? I'd be looking at another dealer, but I know that's not always feasible. My dealer wanted to charge for the Smartphone pack upgrade and I pushed back stating that many dealers were doing this for free and I wasn't paying them to check an option box in the SDD. I got it enabled at no cost. Enabling for OTA also shouldn't be a cost.

The good news is that I believe that the 19B version that Skyking reference has AA/CarPlay enabled by default? I think that was in the release notes. So you might not have to fight them on it and would just get it for free anyway. Would still verify that you expect that to be working when you pick up the vehicle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is frustrating. The dealer went through the hard part of updating the ICTP to 18C but didn't click the check box for the Smartphone pack? I'd be looking at another dealer, but I know that's not always feasible. My dealer wanted to charge for the Smartphone pack upgrade and I pushed back stating that many dealers were doing this for free and I wasn't paying them to check an option box in the SDD. I got it enabled at no cost. Enabling for OTA also shouldn't be a cost.

The good news is that I believe that the 19B version that Skyking reference has AA/CarPlay enabled by default? I think that was in the release notes. So you might not have to fight them on it and would just get it for free anyway. Would still verify that you expect that to be working when you pick up the vehicle.
They told me that they got it enabled this time (shocker) but that they were going to charge me $299 for it. Probably doesn't do me any good to fight the dealer on that (saying others do it for free!), but I certainly intend to bring it up to JLR, that when I pay a $3,500 upcharge to get the system that is supposed to be updated in the future and then beta test their buggy software for three years, that its pretty audacious to charge me another $300 to get updates that should have been included in my initial purchase.

·
Registered
546 Posts
They told me that they got it enabled this time (shocker) but that they were going to charge me $299 for it. Probably doesn't do me any good to fight the dealer on that (saying others do it for free!), but I certainly intend to bring it up to JLR, that when I pay a $3,500 upcharge to get the system that is supposed to be updated in the future and then beta test their buggy software for three years, that its pretty audacious to charge me another $300 to get updates that should have been included in my initial purchase.
@Okie, this doesn't really resolve anything, but you may remember the discussions last year, which referenced JLR's "official" notice/suggestion to their dealers. A decent hint there from JLR to dealers that "contact with existing customers" is a good thing. Perhaps your dealer may also remember this Newsfeed.

Dealer Discretion

Clearly at the dealer's discretion for "upgrades" (vs. new specs.) as outlined in
Jaguar's Newsfeed September 2018 (posted on an earlier thread) that says:-

"Retailers can determine what to charge for the upgrade, but should carefully consider how the upgrade provides a highly valuable opportunity to reconnect/make additional contact with existing customers" .

Note the emphasis on an "opportunity" for the dealer. Might be worth emphasizing to your dealers.

Our 2017 F Pace had the Smartphone pack included in the ICTP upgrade last month at no cost.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that, @ExOz . I guess this makes sense. I thought maybe there was a licensing fee they had to pay to Apple/Google, but I guess they really are just giving the dealers an opportunity to charge $299 for clicking a checkbox. If I was in a more competitive market, I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue, but since they're the only dealer within a 100 mile radius, I guess they're taking what they want.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after all that, I get the car back WITH CarPlay, but still sitting at 18C.

"Why didn't you update to 19B as requested?"

"I don't know what 19B means. It says you're on Phase 4, and that's the current version. I don't know what to tell you."

🤨

1 - 20 of 43 Posts