Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A word of caution for anyone ordering MY18 FPs with the tow hitch. I had a MY17 build all picked out right at the tail end of production, and decided to order a MY18, because I couldn't find an existing one that fit the bill.

When reviewing my Vista sheet, I noticed that the price had gone from $650 to $1,280 (currently, if you build one online, the only option is "Tow Hitch Receiver for $665)! The item number that shows up on my sheet is "JA20 - F PACE Tow Package".

So after a couple of e-mails back and forth, here's what I got back from my SG:
"I talked to Retail Operations and there are 2 places in the order screen to add the hitch. The first one is port, the second one is under exterior. The second option is new for 2018. We clicked on port because that came up first."

So what I take from that is not much.....seems like the expensive one is the option that's new (and the one they picked), so I suspect he got it backwards.

Just wanted to let everyone know to beware of this ordering issue. The SM is working with JLR to see if they will cover the difference, and if not, the dealership will cover it....so I've got that going for me. :)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'm guessing they got smart on the pricing here. Where in MY17 you got the actual receiver (metal part of the hitch) and all the electronics and connectors for $650, in 18 it may mean you only get the metal hitch for $650. To get the rest of the tow package, to actually tow something like a trailer with some weight and lights and such you need to go all the way with the $1280 option.

Today, more people probably use the receiver for bike racks and such more than real actual towing a boat or trailer of some sort. So Jag may see that and see an opportunity to get a little more margin from those real towing types but still allow those wanting a receiver to carry bike racks and such, to have a reasonable cost option to do so.

Clearly this is only a guess on my part, but it would make sense.

·
Registered
517 Posts
"I talked to Retail Operations and there are 2 places in the order screen to add the hitch. The first one is port, the second one is under exterior. The second option is new for 2018. We clicked on port because that came up first."
I don't think this answer is even accurate. I know there was a reference to a port installed option for the 2017 models. You couldn't select in in the online configurator though. There was a footnote that said "Factory option pictured. A port installed option is available. Ask your dealer for more options." The 2017 accessories catalog also listed a "towing package" that came to about $1,200.

I noticed this because I was curious about any differences but I could not find details. I suspect PA-PACE-F is correct, but I do think this was true for 2017 as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Also looks like the more expensive port installed package may be a 2" receiver and hitch, whereas the factory option is a smaller 1&1/2", if I'm reading the literature correctly.

I think you're getting a better package, but their mistake so if you can get a discount that would be a win. I'd demand the $665 price!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I better call my sales guy. I need to make sure it is a 2" hitch on my '18. All my racks are 2"!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I better call my sales guy. I need to make sure it is a 2" hitch on my '18. All my racks are 2"!
Same here, but I looked around and a 2" to 1&1/4" adapter is not too expensive.

Also just noticed that I said 1&1/2 above, meant 1&1/4.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Well, my factory installed hitch receiver is a 2 inch... might want to check that, unless they changed to a smaller one for the 2018 MY.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
If the *towing capacities* are the same on the MY18's , as they are on the 17's , then I would have to assume the Hitch Receiver would still be a 2" !!!
A 1-1/4" hitch receiver is not going to be rated to carry or pull as much as a 2" !

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, my factory installed hitch receiver is a 2 inch... might want to check that, unless they changed to a smaller one for the 2018 MY.
Thanks, I can't find it now but I was sure I saw somewhere that is was a class II, 1&1/4" receiver. Maybe I saw Class II and just inferred the 1&1/4".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts