Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today puts me at the two week point and about 900 miles. I wanted to share some of my impressions, good, not so good, and ask for a little input as well.

1) Love the overall feel of the vehicle, though I am having trouble getting in a driving position that feels right...That is my issue, given the seat has many adjustments and the steering wheel does too. Despite having an Evoque before, this feels like my first real SUV. While I know this is a bigger vehicle than the Evoque, it feels significantly bigger....I am 6-3 and I feel like I almost need a step stool to get into it. I am not complaining, but it is taking some getting used to.

2) I really like the interior. My concern with the cheap plastics is not a big problem, since they are lower on the dash and almost all of what I see is above that area.

3) The wood is good!

4) When I come to a stop....lessening my speed and eventually stopping, it feels jerky.....I can only believe it is one or more of the following issues: a) Me being a bit jerky on the brakes b) the brakes being jerky based on their grab. 3) Downshifting jerkiness of the transmission. Love to hear others' thoughts on this and if they have experienced the same thing? For what it is worth, I almost always have the knob in Sport mode.

5) I have not really gone too crazy with the speed/acceleration, given I would like a bit more break in time. Also, I am driving more in Normal mode than Dynamic. I think that will change in the coming weeks.

6) My music loaded and played off my USB flash drive with no problem whatsoever. That was a pleasant surprise. I am very happy with the sound system, despite it being the standard system.

7) Trying to get used to the Auto Start/Stop. Seriously considering getting in there and unplugging the plug, as was shown many months ago on this forum.

8) Like the Storm Gray, but wish it were even darker. I thought it would look darker. I saw it on other Jaguar vehicles and knew what I was getting....no big deal, however.

9) Got my Jaguar valve caps a week ago and thought the presentation was nicer than the caps....great box!

10) Expect delivery of my Canadian TuxMat set of mats today. Anxious to see if I like them in person.

11) Working out details of phone cradle. I will be using a wireless Samsung charger, but not sure whether to mount on center dash or dash to left of steering wheel. Also working on how and where to secure the USB cable.

12) Been to three tint shops and have not made up my mind if I spend the extra for ceramic tint. I do like to heat rejection qualities, but the price is a lot.

13) Having Ceramic Pro Silver package done while I am out of town in two weeks.

14) The voice navigation works perfectly. I have entered about four addresses by voice and not one mistake. I am not used to being able to say the entire address at once...love it! Very disappointed that I cannot control the zoom in and out command by voice, like I can in my Evoque.

I think I got everything covered for now. I washed it for the first time yesterday...I will need a step stool to get the roof!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I find the brakes very responsive and smooth.
I'm at 4600 mi and three months ownership.
Best SUV I have owned, my last one a BMW.

I find the voice nav mostly good, could be my voice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great assessment, MGluck. You got your from Norwood, right? Probably had a nice road trip home!

As for the brakes, I think it could be a combination of you getting use to them and the transmission maybe being snappier in sport mode. Not sure if that's true, but the shift patterns definitely are way more brisk (up and downshifting) in dynamic mode...so figured it may change a bit in sport mode as well.

I am right there with you on the driving position. And I agree it may be due to the ridiculously adjustable seat and steering wheel. I finally found a position that fits my 5'8" frame perfectly now, but it has me sitting lower in the car. Feels great, but I must look like a 10 year old from outside.

HATE the Auto Start/Stop. Despise it. And it's not specific to this car. The Volvo loaners I've had also had it. I hate that you have to turn it off every time you start it, and that there isn't a system setting to permanently disable it. The engine feels horrible when it starts back up with this feature, but feels as smooth as silk during normal startup. I honestly think this feature is detrimental to cars, but that's just me.

I plan on ordering the valve caps, maybe different center caps. Which ones did you get?

I was surprised at how wide the vehicle is. I got used to it quickly, but it's definitely not a svelt little lady.

Let me know what you go with regarding the tint. I have to start pricing this out myself, and will likely have the rear windows done in clear just to get the UV protection on top of the privacy glass.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I find the brakes very responsive and smooth.
Me too. I wonder if it is the diesel having less compression braking compared to the gasser?

Reactions: Caymus

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the very detailed feedback!

4) When I come to a stop....lessening my speed and eventually stopping, it feels jerky.....I can only believe it is one or more of the following issues: a) Me being a bit jerky on the brakes b) the brakes being jerky based on their grab. 3) Downshifting jerkiness of the transmission. Love to hear others' thoughts on this and if they have experienced the same thing? For what it is worth, I almost always have the knob in Sport mode.
I second that. Downshifting is just a bit jerky to my liking. Strictly speaking, up-shifting also feels that way. Most noticeably at low, street level speeds. Not an issue at all at freeway speeds. I do try to accelerate / decelerate very smoothly sometimes to see if that will help but not quite.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
- i've not experienced anything like the brake issue you describe, give it a bit more and see if it doesn't go away as things break in
- I don't even notice auto start/stop anymore, either disable it or stop focusing on it and it may disappear from your consciousness

·
Registered
37 Posts
MGluck,

Please let me know what you think of the Tuxmats, I ordered a set myself and they are waiting for me to install once I get back home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also felt the brakes were jerky when I first got my F-Pace, (22" wheels). When I lowered the air pressure to 38psi the problem went away.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You are not driving the car in the correct mode for the situation. Sport is a very aggressive setting with the shifting strategy designed to keep the car in lower gears and at higher RPMs at all times for sport driving. Slogging around in traffic is not the place for sport, you are dinging it for doing what it is supposed to be doing. In traffic consider sticking to normal or dynamic and save the sport for when you're actually flogging the car. Or simply become accustomed to the transmission doing exactly what you are telling it to do if you prefer.

IMO unplug the start/stop. Not maybe, just do it and never look back. It takes about 10 minutes most of which will be spent doing the cogitating typical of the first try at disassembling something unfamiliar. Helpful hints... Remove both outer plugs, some have said just pull the one but they come apart and go back together in seconds and cant be mistaken for each other. This will better expose the little sucker you have to get out. What you have is the plug block situated up on the back wall, not the side as some have described. In other words it's in front of the passenger taillight. The little plug is on the lower portion of the block and outboard, the tab to release it is on the outboard side of the plug. If your hands are the size of mine you will not be able to depress the tab to pull it out do to it's proximity to a wire run and the side of the car itself. I used a small screwdriver to depress the tab and then gently pulled on the wire to get it out. It's not quite as easy as it sounds because the carpet will be in the way and the blocks location making it so that you cant see it once you get your hands in there. Still, it's very easy. I'm guessing I could do it in two minutes without any rush if I were to do it again and I'm very old and pathetic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You are not driving the car in the correct mode for the situation.
I disagree as I've noticed the down shifting is very jerky at low speeds in both dynamic and normal mode. I have an XE out as a loaner right now and it's the exact same way. It's pretty irritating since I spend the majority of my commute in traffic.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
HATE the Auto Start/Stop. Despise it. And it's not specific to this car. The Volvo loaners I've had also had it. I hate that you have to turn it off every time you start it, and that there isn't a system setting to permanently disable it. The engine feels horrible when it starts back up with this feature, but feels as smooth as silk during normal startup. I honestly think this feature is detrimental to cars, but that's just me.
Don't dilly dally, disconnect the **** thing.
Best mod I made to my FP so far. Like you I hated it :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I washed it for the first time yesterday...I will need a step stool to get the roof!
I am not quite as tall as you (I'm 6'), but I had the same problem, so I went to Target the other night and bought a two step stool, and now I have no problems in reaching the center of the roof.
Nice review by the way.

·
Registered
254 Posts
3. I agree.
4. I don't find the brakes jerky, but the pedal has quite a bit more travel than I'm used to. Maybe it's just me, but I'd sure like to reduce it.
9. BINGO!

Kerry

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Ours feels jerky at slow speeds - like reverse and from a stop with no gas pedal, just coasting. Assume it's the tranny and engine not programmed to be as smooth as they should be since it's a traditional torque converter trans.

Also, don't skimp on tint.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I disagree as I've noticed the down shifting is very jerky at low speeds in both dynamic and normal mode. I have an XE out as a loaner right now and it's the exact same way. It's pretty irritating since I spend the majority of my commute in traffic.
It should absolutely not be very jerky in normal and dynamic. All ZF 8 speeds downshift as you come to a stop more aggressively than some Americans are accustomed to since we tend to prefer the soft shifting slushboxs we remember from our mothers mini-vans/station wagons. The reasons for it are that first, it improves economy. Nowadays under deceleration most or all fueling often stops which is why you see your instant economy pegging the meter in these situations. Because of this while it seems like it might be using more fuel it isn't since the wheels are turning the engine rather than the engine turning the wheels. Meanwhile you have a world full of smaller engines that don't produce boat loads of torque off idle. What you get real world is one of two possibilities. Old school like in the Lexus Mrs Crab is driving you begin decelerating for a stoplight when it changes to green. The engine isn't a V8 of yore and so is caught flat footed without enough torque to pull itself along in a gear that isn't quite appropriate and lugs for a bit before it kicks down and off you drive. In the Pace it's usually in the right gear or close enough and doesn't need to kick down. The former uses more fuel than the latter. Secondly it's better for performance reasons which shouldn't need any explanation. The third reason is it's better for towing, helps keep temps down, less strain. The new MB 9 speeds do it and I read the GM/Ford 10 speed does as well, I would expect more of the same with new automatics as they come along at least in the near term.

All that said each driving program ups the ante as you go along. In normal it should be just so as you notice and it's easy to get used to allowing the gearing to pull the car down along with the brakes and stop smoothly. Dynamic ups that a little bit but it's still fairly easy to become accustomed to it and drive accordingly. Sport on the other hand (where he indicated he was doing a lot of his driving) ups the ante significantly. Pulling up to a stop sport can have you spinning 2 or 3k which is just plain silly in the middle of town when you're not doing any sporting driving whatsoever. So yeah, it's the wrong mode for driving in traffic unless of course the owner just digs that sort of thing in which case it's his money his choice.

If you're coming from an old school slushbox it's going to feel different but you should learn and adjust.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Don't dilly dally, disconnect the **** thing.
Best mod I made to my FP so far. Like you I hated it :)
I've done some reading on this and have my little project for the weekend!! >:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would seem that removing the black plastic hook without breaking it is the biggest challenge.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It should absolutely not be very jerky in normal and dynamic. All ZF 8 speeds downshift as you come to a stop more aggressively than some Americans are accustomed to since we tend to prefer the soft shifting slushboxs we remember from our mothers mini-vans/station wagons. The reasons for it are that first, it improves economy. Nowadays under deceleration most or all fueling often stops which is why you see your instant economy pegging the meter in these situations. Because of this while it seems like it might be using more fuel it isn't since the wheels are turning the engine rather than the engine turning the wheels. Meanwhile you have a world full of smaller engines that don't produce boat loads of torque off idle. What you get real world is one of two possibilities. Old school like in the Lexus Mrs Crab is driving you begin decelerating for a stoplight when it changes to green. The engine isn't a V8 of yore and so is caught flat footed without enough torque to pull itself along in a gear that isn't quite appropriate and lugs for a bit before it kicks down and off you drive. In the Pace it's usually in the right gear or close enough and doesn't need to kick down. The former uses more fuel than the latter. Secondly it's better for performance reasons which shouldn't need any explanation. The third reason is it's better for towing, helps keep temps down, less strain. The new MB 9 speeds do it and I read the GM/Ford 10 speed does as well, I would expect more of the same with new automatics as they come along at least in the near term.

All that said each driving program ups the ante as you go along. In normal it should be just so as you notice and it's easy to get used to allowing the gearing to pull the car down along with the brakes and stop smoothly. Dynamic ups that a little bit but it's still fairly easy to become accustomed to it and drive accordingly. Sport on the other hand (where he indicated he was doing a lot of his driving) ups the ante significantly. Pulling up to a stop sport can have you spinning 2 or 3k which is just plain silly in the middle of town when you're not doing any sporting driving whatsoever. So yeah, it's the wrong mode for driving in traffic unless of course the owner just digs that sort of thing in which case it's his money his choice.

If you're coming from an old school slushbox it's going to feel different but you should learn and adjust.
That just too much information for me. Maybe a better description as someone else put it is that there is a lot of travel in the gas pedal. When I'm trolling along in traffic it seems the difference between not doing **** and jerking people back in their seats is a very slim margin. Seems like the transmission is set to shift gears way too quickly and the throttle response is virtually non-existent because of it.

The other day I was stuck in a slow moving lane the the next over moving quickly. I figured I could accelerate easily to get in front of the fast oncoming driver but I swear I spent a full two seconds waiting to downshift and what seemed like an easy lane change turned into a holy **** I'm an ******* lane change. If you're using dynamic, I think it's obvious you don't care about gas mileage and the car should not be changing into 20th gear at 30 mph.

I don't have a sport mode.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've been waiting for the update since you took delivery @MGluck and glad to hear things are going well.

I have to say that I haven't really noticed any real jerkiness in the braking/transmission and I typically drive in Dynamic/Sport mode in stop/go/block-to-block traffic in the city. I'll have to pay more attention to it to see if I notice anything. I want to say that the shifting, up and down, has been pretty smooth.

Good luck with the break-in period. I'm just at 1300 miles after 3.5 months of ownership and was pretty easy on the first 1000 miles-ish. Hard for me to keep my foot out of it given the exhaust sounds.

I still need to do the tint on mine and given how much I hate hot vehicles I will probably look at ceramic tinting, especially with that large glass roof. How much was the quote and for how many of the windows if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
198 Posts
It would seem that removing the black plastic hook without breaking it is the biggest challenge.
I just disconnected my auto start/stop this past weekend. Removing the hook is not difficult but the fastener is tricky. The upper peg has an expandable post and is easy to remove if you pull out the "T" bar in the center. The lower peg just snaps into it's hole. The difficult part for me was figuring out how to release whatever was holding the plug in place. It is difficult to impossible to see it clearly (progressive bifocals didn't help). After disconnecting the two large plugs, I eventually used a small screwdriver to pry the affected small plug loose. Whew, no damage!! Reinserting the cardboard fabric trim can be a little tough at the top depending on how much you have to pull back. Getting it back under the rubber trim was no problem. All in all, not too difficult and very rewarding!

Reactions: MTHM and Dakar09
1 - 20 of 35 Posts