Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you can access this article which just came out (I have the whole issue on my Kindle HDX) comparing the Jaguar F-Pace S, Mercedes AMG GLC43, and Porsche Macan GTS under mostly winter conditions. Guess which one wins? A preview: the F-Pace S with all-season tires is better than the Mercedes with Winter tires. The problem with the Mercedes is a fixed 31/69 front rear torque split. The F-Pace's rear drive bias and torque vectoring drives better than the Benz

Here's a couple of juicy tidbits:

On the Macan: "Dynamically, the Macan delivers the thrill of acceleration, sprinting from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds. That's the quickest run here..." However: "The cabin is cramped and gets uncomfortable after an hour or so behind the wheel. The seats give up too much comfort in exchange for sporty support." "The Macan is not anywhere near $20,000 better than the others."

On the Mercedes: "The Mercedes is happier cruising the highways than its German compatriot. The cabin is a nice place to be, too, with its comfortable seats and an uncluttered design." However: "Despite the AMG's sporty settings, the GLC43 is more softly sprung that the other two crossovers. Sure the air suspension firms up, but there's more body roll in the Mercedes, sapping a bit of driver confidence and speed in corners compared to the Macan and F-Pace."

On the F-Pace: "The F-Pace will do 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.8 seconds at 100.6 mph. It's the slowest of the three, but doesn't feel it." However: "The F-Pace manages to carry over the fun factor it had on the highway to winding roads." "Without a doubt it's the most fun and emotionally rewarding to drive."

At the Motor Trend podium, the verdict:

"The Porsche Macan GTS was a solid performer in our back-road and winter weather testing, but its road-trip manners and wonky transmission tuning left us cold, resulting in a third-place finish. The Jaguar F-Pace expertly manages competing demands of being a family mover, highway cruiser, and back-road bomber. Saddle that with its exceptional snow performance and spacious cabin, and the Jaguar just edges out the Mercedes for the win."

Great article. It is very long and detailed. There is information about Jaguar's new winter performance academy in Sweden. It cost $5,000 to go which will definitely stop me. And there is a separate article on the Maserati Levante SQ4 (the top of the line variant).

Car Comparison Tests - Motor Trend

·
Registered
315 Posts
And it looks so much better than the other two, the Macan to me looks like a fat cigar with a design that in my opinion will not age well, the GLC is nice and bland, perfect for those who just want to fit in!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know if you can access this article which just came out (I have the whole issue on my Kindle HDX) comparing the Jaguar F-Pace S, Mercedes AMG GLC43, and Porsche Macan GTS under mostly winter conditions. Guess which one wins? A preview: the F-Pace S with all-season tires is better than the Mercedes with Winter tires. The problem with the Mercedes is a fixed 31/69 front rear torque split. The F-Pace's rear drive bias and torque vectoring drives better than the Benz

Here's a couple of juicy tidbits:

On the Macan: "Dynamically, the Macan delivers the thrill of acceleration, sprinting from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds. That's the quickest run here..." However: "The cabin is cramped and gets uncomfortable after an hour or so behind the wheel. The seats give up too much comfort in exchange for sporty support." "The Macan is not anywhere near $20,000 better than the others."

On the Mercedes: "The Mercedes is happier cruising the highways than its German compatriot. The cabin is a nice place to be, too, with its comfortable seats and an uncluttered design." However: "Despite the AMG's sporty settings, the GLC43 is more softly sprung that the other two crossovers. Sure the air suspension firms up, but there's more body roll in the Mercedes, sapping a bit of driver confidence and speed in corners compared to the Macan and F-Pace."

On the F-Pace: "The F-Pace will do 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.8 seconds at 100.6 mph. It's the slowest of the three, but doesn't feel it." However: "The F-Pace manages to carry over the fun factor it had on the highway to winding roads." "Without a doubt it's the most fun and emotionally rewarding to drive."

At the Motor Trend podium, the verdict:

"The Porsche Macan GTS was a solid performer in our back-road and winter weather testing, but its road-trip manners and wonky transmission tuning left us cold, resulting in a third-place finish. The Jaguar F-Pace expertly manages competing demands of being a family mover, highway cruiser, and back-road bomber. Saddle that with its exceptional snow performance and spacious cabin, and the Jaguar just edges out the Mercedes for the win."

Great article. It is very long and detailed. There is information about Jaguar's new winter performance academy in Sweden. It cost $5,000 to go which will definitely stop me. And there is a separate article on the Maserati Levante SQ4 (the top of the line variant).

Car Comparison Tests - Motor Trend
I agree: great article by professionals. For those who need winter performance, or are intimidated by driving in the snow, this quote from the article may be of interest:

"The F-Pace is a surprising rock star on its stock all-season tires. Riding on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AT tires and left in its default drive setting, the Jaguar was sure-footed even under hard acceleration and braking, thanks to its Adaptive Surface Response system. It’s obvious Jag engineers spent lots of time across the hall at Land Rover. With the F-Pace’s drive select system in Rain/Ice/Snow mode, the F-Pace gets even better, handily accelerating up icy hills even with a tire handicap. “It’s the best car here for the everyday driver in inclement weather,” Evans said.

With a set of Yokohama WDrive winter tires—admittedly an outdated tire design, neither asymmetric nor directional—the Jaguar is a monster. It practically accelerates and turns as if it were on pavement. Things get even better once you turn off the nannies. Put the transmission in manual to keep the V-6 singing, and the F-Pace becomes an absolute drift machine. Its chassis is wonderfully balanced with quick steering, and its rear-biased all-wheel-drive system does an exceptional job of keeping the Jaguar pointed where the driver wants it.
" -Motor Trend

This matches my experience in snow with the Goodyear Eagle's (capable) vs Pirelli Winters (exceptional). The difference is especially noticeable when glare ice or slush is present.

As to $5K for winter driving training: Sweden is a beautiful and worthy vacation destination, but for some reason, they have a different word for everything! :confused: (my apologies to Mr. Steve Martin).

You could save your Bitcoins, and spend a few days driving across the Sierra Nevada during a big Winter. As my home ski hill passed 58' (17.68 meters) of snowfall yesterday, you will get plenty of practice.>:)
Snow Report - Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe

·
Registered
575 Posts
The F-Pace must be THAT good if MT picked it over the Merc!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for the article. I'll spend time on that site as i like comparisons. As i read, i kept thinking that cold weather driving means nothing as i live in Dallas. Maybe a few times every other year we get slick roads. 0-60 matters to me, but to a point. I like the jag because it is fast, no worse in fuel economy than my current coupe, i can put two carseats in the back, and i like the styling. Btw, i like the styling of the macan as well. We have a RR sport which is pretty good, so i figured the jag would be good too.

Back to the 0-60, what difference does 4.8, 5.1, 5.4 make? I just want it to excite me. Anything less than 6 seconds is fine with me. If i am nailing it to pass someone else that is being an *******, then i typically back off as i don't feel the cost in fuel is worth the pissing contest. I don't go to the track and i don't launch off the line. Launching in traffic is usually a jerk move used to cut other people off.

Reactions: Okie and MTGRL

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The interesting thing about the comparison is that while the Macan GTS is quicker 0 to 60, by the time both cars reach 90, the F-Pace S catches up and gets to 100 a micro second quicker.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I guess this also reinforces the fact that winter tires are probably going to be required again in order to keep the cat safe... Tire rack reviews of the GR asymmetrical are Poor for winter driving... SO back to changing tires again it probably will be !

Reactions: NVDesertrat

·
Registered
157 Posts
I guess this also reinforces the fact that winter tires are probably going to be required again in order to keep the cat safe... Tire rack reviews of the GR asymmetrical are Poor for winter driving... SO back to changing tires again it probably will be !
You also may enjoy the luxury of new wheels: it make the switch a breeze plus they give your cat a new look for half the year!

Tire Rack packages are trouble free as they are mounted and balanced before shipment. T/R has deals with local tire shops such that they will ship to the shop who will bolt them on for little $.

Tire Rack supplied the Verde 20" Saga BLk/Pirelli Winters that I'm using now.

I'm using the OEM 20" Blade 5 spoke/Goodyear A/S in the summer until the rubber fades and is swapped for a summer tire choice.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You also may enjoy the luxury of new wheels: it make the switch a breeze plus they give your cat a new look for half the year!

Tire Rack packages are trouble free as they are mounted and balanced before shipment. T/R has deals with local tire shops such that they will ship to the shop who will bolt them on for little $.

Tire Rack supplied the Verde 20" Saga BLk/Pirelli Winters that I'm using now.

I'm using the OEM 20" Blade 5 spoke/Goodyear A/S in the summer until the rubber fades and is swapped for a summer tire choice.

Well I very well may do that... Believe it or not, I only live about 30 Min from Tire Rack ! I really wanted to get out of the tire switching business, but I won't risk any accidents either !:eek:

Reactions: NVDesertrat

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the article. I'll spend time on that site as i like comparisons. As i read, i kept thinking that cold weather driving means nothing as i live in Dallas. Maybe a few times every other year we get slick roads. 0-60 matters to me, but to a point. I like the jag because it is fast, no worse in fuel economy than my current coupe, i can put two carseats in the back, and i like the styling. Btw, i like the styling of the macan as well. We have a RR sport which is pretty good, so i figured the jag would be good too.

Back to the 0-60, what difference does 4.8, 5.1, 5.4 make? I just want it to excite me. Anything less than 6 seconds is fine with me. If i am nailing it to pass someone else that is being an *******, then i typically back off as i don't feel the cost in fuel is worth the pissing contest. I don't go to the track and i don't launch off the line. Launching in traffic is usually a jerk move used to cut other people off.
The reason that the Macan does so well in the 0-60 tests is because it has launch control - which comes with the sport chrono package - and Porsche makes sure that every press car they send out has that pkg. No human can match a computer tuned to the specifics of a car (I think it even takes things like ambient temperature into its calculations). IMO a better test of straight line performance is the rolling start 5-60mph test. If memory serves (from the car and driver comparison) the FP-S is much closer to the Macan GTS there, and I think it matches or beats (slightly) the Macan S which is still more expensive than a comparably equipped FP.

Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying that the FP is a better performance vehicle than a Macan. I don't believe it is. It's just that all of the numbers are not as "significant" as they appear to be. Plus the Macan is just too darn small and too expensive for my needs/taste.

Reactions: Okie, Trek and GRVR

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason that the Macan does so well in the 0-60 tests is because it has launch control - which comes with the sport chrono package - and Porsche makes sure that every press car they send out has that pkg. No human can match a computer tuned to the specifics of a car (I think it even takes things like ambient temperature into its calculations). IMO a better test of straight line performance is the rolling start 5-60mph test. If memory serves (from the car and driver comparison) the FP-S is much closer to the Macan GTS there, and I think it matches or beats (slightly) the Macan S which is still more expensive than a comparably equipped FP.

Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying that the FP is a better performance vehicle than a Macan. I don't believe it is. It's just that all of the numbers are not as "significant" as they appear to be. Plus the Macan is just too darn small and too expensive for my needs/taste.
I've read several reviews that made reference to the Macan's "numb" steering compared to the F-Pace. Admittedly, I love the line from the recent MT Winter Driving comparison: "Without a doubt, it's (F-Pace) the most fun and emotionally rewarding to drive."

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Video is finally out on their youtube channel.

Reactions: Gorgon

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I signed up for the 30 day trial to see this episode. Was pretty good. Kinda surprised the F-Pace didn't do better in the snow/acceleration tests. Well, except for the AdSR launch, that was silly. :)
Very surprised to see how composed the Macan was in the snow, the F-pace looked like more fun but the Macan looked like it would be the safest for everyday drivers in bad conditions. F-pace is far better looking though, surprised that they had that many bad things to say about the Porsche as well, overall I enjoy MT, they make the reviews fun to watch.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Total comedy. This is NOT the video version of the MT article. The article provided a serious comparison of THREE vehicles. This video is two other guys clowning around with two cars. The g u y with the beard drove like he had never driven on snow. Nothing serious to see here.

I admit I have no interest in watching people clown around with cars. I don't watch that popular car show with the British dudes because they clown around too much. Serious reviews only for me. That goes for cars, guns, politics, movies, books, whatever.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Total comedy. This is NOT the video version of the MT article. The article provided a serious comparison of THREE vehicles. This video is two other guys clowning around with two cars. The g u y with the beard drove like he had never driven on snow. Nothing serious to see here.

I admit I have no interest in watching people clown around with cars. I don't watch that popular car show with the British dudes because they clown around too much. Serious reviews only for me. That goes for cars, guns, politics, movies, books, whatever.
Fair enough, I think MT does a good job of mixing serious with joking around. Makes it easy and fun to watch for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts