·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. 2019 Lamborghini Urus $255,803
2. 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo $146,590
3. 2020 Bentley Bentayga Speed $301,740
4. 2019 Jaguar F-Pace SVR $90,510

No surprise that the SVR came in last, when you compare as tested price.

In short, they loved the SVR engine but came down hard on 2 points
1. No tire option, all seasons being the exclusive US spec.
2. Brakes. "Not kidding, there was a moment or three when I was not convinced the SVR was going to stop," senior features editor Jonny Lieberman said. "The pedal went to the floor, and I could feel the rapid click-click-clicking of the ABS. These binders just cannot cope with the engine."

Last paragraph:
The Jaguar is ridiculous, childish fun, but as Ayapana put it, "Unfortunately for the F-Pace SVR, brakes and tires are kinda important for a performance vehicle."

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Both of those drawbacks can be easily remedied. I've already taken care of the tires, and to be honest I haven't really seen an issue with the brakes in normal, even spirited on road driving. Perhaps hard laps on a track would bring that out. A Brembo Caliper upgrade, when available will probably care for that pretty easily.

The price difference is outrages in that comparison. They should have at least added a price/performance category or rating on "Fun per $$ Invested" and the F-Pace would have smoked the rest even with the tire and brake issue.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
514 Posts
Both of those drawbacks can be easily remedied. I've already taken care of the tires, and to be honest I haven't really seen an issue with the brakes in normal, even spirited on road driving. Perhaps hard laps on a track would bring that out. A Brembo Caliper upgrade, when available will probably care for that pretty easily.

The price difference is outrages in that comparison. They should have at least added a price/performance category or rating on "Fun per $$ Invested" and the F-Pace would have smoked the rest even with the tire and brake issue.

Yeah. Those seem pretty nitpicky given the fact that you could easily remedy both those issues and still have tens of thousands of dollars left over to pay the speeding tickets.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. Those seem pretty nitpicky given the fact that you could easily remedy both those issues and still have tens of thousands of dollars left over to pay the speeding tickets.
I agree. I think the point they were making was Jaguar could have offered a summer performance tire option (no cost to Jaguar) and they should have beefed up the brakes (minimal cost). A lot of people don’t want to have to modify their new cars.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've got to kind of concur with the review on the brakes. I do notice I need a little more brake distance with the SVR than I expected or did with my 2017 S, but it's something you quickly adapt to, and better (summer) tires would probably help a bit.
it would be nice if Jag would offer at least an optional brake upgrade. maybe even 2, like standard current 15.5/15.6", $3-5000 to upgrade to a big brake kit somewhat larger diameter for more stopping power, $9-12k for ceramic, ideally even larger. getting that 60 - 0 stopping distance down to 100-105 feet would be a good goal

also, come on! Why do these guys keep reviewing the SVR against cars that cost 1.5-3x as much? might as well through some stupid lexus CUV in the mix

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,391 Posts
I agree. I think the point they were making was Jaguar could have offered a summer performance tire option (no cost to Jaguar) and they should have beefed up the brakes (minimal cost). A lot of people don’t want to have to modify their new cars.
JLR has been having an issue with getting summer tires, there prefered vendor Perelli has been having issues with providing tires, I don’t know the full reason. My car build shows PerillI tires yet it has continental tires

the brakes seem fine for everyday use, yet on a track there needed to better pads and high temp fluid. Yet for the price the SVR should have been #1 in my opinion

DP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately cost and value was not part of the testing criteria. There is a video link I saw on the original article and some of the reviewers thought the SVR was best looking of the bunch and the most fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I didn't know All-Seasons were now standard. I still have the original Pirelli P-Zero performance tires that came with my First Edition S. I have maybe close to 14K miles on them. A shame those aren't at least an option.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I didn't know All-Seasons were now standard. I still have the original Pirelli P-Zero performance tires that came with my First Edition S. I have maybe close to 14K miles on them. A shame those aren't at least an option.
Holy smokes! A @Trek siting!

Reactions: deafsoundguy

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Nice to hear from you @Trek!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts