Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK, so last night when playing around with settings after updating my maps in the car, I noticed that mobile data was switched off. I honestly hadn’t thought to check this. Switched it on and I now have real time traffic back (the colored roads) and this is way after my paid SIM trial expired ... problem solved for now and it seems like this feature does work through the embedded SIM!

·
F Pace Expert
2,535 Posts
You sure you aren’t hot spotting through your phone or home Wi-Fi? Real time traffic flow data comes from an internet connection, an internet connection comes through either an owner SIM based connection or hot spotting through phone data connection. IT DOES NOT COME FROM THE JAGUAR EMBEDDED SIM CONNECTION which is for Jaguar SOS, Jaguar assistance, theft and Remote functionality.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You sure you aren’t hot spotting through your phone or home Wi-Fi? Real time traffic flow data comes from an internet connection, an internet connection comes through either an owner SIM based connection or hot spotting through phone data connection. IT DOES NOT COME FROM THE JAGUAR EMBEDDED SIM CONNECTION which is for Jaguar SOS, Jaguar assistance, theft and Remote functionality.
I am positive - I watched it during the slow boot up finally connect so it said “3G” in the top right corner and then the traffic info appeared on the Nav screen. All while too far from my house to be connected to Wi-Fi and it was definitely not connected to my hotspot. Weird huh?

·
F Pace Expert
2,535 Posts
If you have 3G in right corner your owner SIM account is active I think, that's where data is coming from.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 3G is in the right corner, but my account has not been active since my 3 months expired. I don't have any internet.
The 3G means that you have a SIM card that is "activated" and able to connect to the AT&T cellular network. As you said, that does not mean that you have a suitable data plan to go with it that allows you to send and receive data and access the internet.

Having said that, I believe that you may still be able to receive some of the connected services even without a data plan. Log in to your account at "jaguar.here.com" and click on "Maps and Services"

Mine has the services split into two separate blocks:

"CONNECTED FEATURES
To enjoy the benefits of these services, please ensure you have a suitable data plan and Micro-SIM fitted in the vehicle.
Satellite Views, Street views, Cloud Sync, Door to Door routing, Sharing, Live Search, Live routing

CONNECTED SERVICES Subscription Expires 2021-XX-XX
These services are active on your vehicle until the date shown. The service subscription can be renewed after this time.
Real Time Traffic, Fuel service, Parking Service"

Notice the difference between the two. The first block says that you must have a suitable data plan. The second block says this is a subscription that is valid through a certain date and can be renewed -- no mention of also needing a data plan. That allocation of data usage must be already covered in the subscription agreement and segregated from the data plan usage for those using AT&T SIM. I doubt the same is true for FreedomPop SIM which wouldn't know the difference and I read elsewhere tends to report higher data usage.

A data plan is also required for the in-car wifi hotspot and web browser.

Do others experiences back this up?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, I had also noticed the division between services described in my Jaguar Here account - and I believe this does mean that the three services separated from the rest are available without a data plan.

Also - regarding the 3G icon - it appears to me that you need mobile connectivity to be activated in settings in order for any of the services to me available regardless of whether they are through the customer or in built SIM.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Going with a slightly different question about mobile connectivity...How well do you find the telematics unit to always have a 3G signal? Case in point here: I'm on Long Island, hardly what you would call a rural area, and I do find that quite often I have the "G" with the line through it (No Service) in the upper corner rather than the 3G. Looking at AT&T coverage maps for 3G coverage, they are completely covered meaning there should be 3G coverage everywhere in the area. It's not like there are any "fringe" areas even on the map. I have a 2018 F Pace with the ICTP. I'm told that I have ICTP version v3.0x release prior to 17C and 17C4. Are there any issues with how "sensitive" these units are or have there been any issues with how these connect to the 3G network? Problem here is that both JLR and AT&T can easily get into finger pointing saying it's the other guys fault!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Going with a slightly different question about mobile connectivity...How well do you find the telematics unit to always have a 3G signal? Case in point here: I'm on Long Island, hardly what you would call a rural area, and I do find that quite often I have the "G" with the line through it (No Service) in the upper corner rather than the 3G. Looking at AT&T coverage maps for 3G coverage, they are completely covered meaning there should be 3G coverage everywhere in the area. It's not like there are any "fringe" areas even on the map. I have a 2018 F Pace with the ICTP. I'm told that I have ICTP version v3.0x release prior to 17C and 17C4. Are there any issues with how "sensitive" these units are or have there been any issues with how these connect to the 3G network? Problem here is that both JLR and AT&T can easily get into finger pointing saying it's the other guys fault!
If you haven't already, try ejecting and re-inserting the SIM card. I had some similar connectivity issues early on and doing this effectively solved them. I later changed the SIM because my free trial ended, and have not experienced it again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you haven't already, try ejecting and re-inserting the SIM card. I had some similar connectivity issues early on and doing this effectively solved them. I later changed the SIM because my free trial ended, and have not experienced it again.
Did you switch the SIM to a different carrier or did you just stop the service? Or did you get a new AT&T SIM? My free trial ends tomorrow but I plan to keep the AT&T service for the time being.

·
F Pace Expert
2,535 Posts
once my telematics unit was replaced i was surprised how good my reception is. i get some signal even in pretty tough spots. there are telematics software updates separate from ICTP so worth asking if yours is completely up to date. i’m pretty sure since they are separate and distinct boxes that ICTP updates don’t impact 3G reception. the sim card tip above is also a very good suggestion.

Reactions: BobatStews

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you switch the SIM to a different carrier or did you just stop the service? Or did you get a new AT&T SIM? My free trial ends tomorrow but I plan to keep the AT&T service for the time being.
I switched carrier. I use Project Fi for my phone plan so I just got a SIM from them, but they unfortunately do not offer stand-alone data SIMs. I think lots of people use Freedom Pop if you are looking to switch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was having spotty connectivity issues with the ATT Sim as well. At times if the ICTP lost connectivity the only way I was able to reconnect was to reboot the ICTP by shutting the cat down and waiting 5-10 mins. I mentioned this issue to the dealer when I brought the cat in for the 17C update and the tech said as part of that update they would update the telematics unit which had a separate software patch. Since both updates the connectivity has been significantly more stable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was having spotty connectivity issues with the ATT Sim as well. At times if the ICTP lost connectivity the only way I was able to reconnect was to reboot the ICTP by shutting the cat down and waiting 5-10 mins. I mentioned this issue to the dealer when I brought the cat in for the 17C update and the tech said as part of that update they would update the telematics unit which had a separate software patch. Since both updates the connectivity has been significantly more stable.
Guess I'll have to make an appointment and bring it in. I'm guessing or hoping that they will do a software update on my ICTP as well as I'm still on 3.0. Interesting today while sitting in a parking lot I watched my signal go from 4 bars to no service then search for signal for about a minute or two and then show 4 bars again. This was going on while I was parked in the same spot. Seems to lose connectivity even with a good signal. I did pull out the SIM, cleaned it off in case these were dirty contacts on the SIM and reinserted it. Didn't seem to make any difference. I'll have to see what JLR has to say.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Guess I'll have to make an appointment and bring it in. I'm guessing or hoping that they will do a software update on my ICTP as well as I'm still on 3.0. Interesting today while sitting in a parking lot I watched my signal go from 4 bars to no service then search for signal for about a minute or two and then show 4 bars again. This was going on while I was parked in the same spot. Seems to lose connectivity even with a good signal. I did pull out the SIM, cleaned it off in case these were dirty contacts on the SIM and reinserted it. Didn't seem to make any difference. I'll have to see what JLR has to say.
Are you referring to Bluetooth when you say "bars", because I'm not sure the 3G shows bars for lack of connectivity, just dots.....

·
F Pace Expert
2,535 Posts
Aren’t the bars the connectivity of your phone not the car?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Are you referring to Bluetooth when you say "bars", because I'm not sure the 3G shows bars for lack of connectivity, just dots.....
Aren’t the bars the connectivity of your phone not the car?
Maybe it’s only on the 18s but my 3G has signal strength bars as well as the ones for Bluetooth when my phone is connected.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
This portion of the ICTP was updated with either the 3.0 or 17C release.

ICTP 2.5 the bars represent the signal strength of the phone connected via BT and then the battery level of the phone. 3G initially didn't list any bars.

For ICTP 3.0/17C bars were added to the 3G icon to denote the cars cellular signal strength separately from the phone.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 156 Posts