Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,535 Posts
Does anyone know if they (ATT) will stick with the 150$ a year if you continue to pay up front, or is that no longer offered?
I don't think it's offered which is why I'm on the $20/month plan

Reactions: stbentoak

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
So far I'm still getting an auto renewal on the 1GB for $10 plan which is plenty for our usage. I keep waiting for that to go away but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have AT&T cell service.
When my intro plan ran out last year, transitioned to their shared plan with my mobile phone.
You share your mobile data and they add 2GB a month for the connected car.
Cost is an additional $10 monthly.
Don't know if this plan is currently offered, but if it is and you're on AT&T mobile, it works extremely well for me.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
193 Posts
The monthly charge of $20 for unlimited data for ATT just came through my credit card. My data services are working perfectly. For $240 a year it seems worth the price not to futz around with other providers and seemingly endless hassles I see on here with SIMS. Just thought I'd say it ;)
I did the same thing for the same reason - fewer hassles. So far, it is flawless, so I am happy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere in this or another thread. A search turned up blank. My 3G connection - the fixed one for traffic info etc - has not worked for a couple of weeks. Just stopped working without any other changes. I now can’t get traffic info. This is separate to the SIM card driven connection which expired a while ago on my car. Any ideas how to fix it?
I believe the traffic info comes from the SIM card in the console, and it sounds like that is the one that you said "expired a while ago."
No, I am pretty sure the traffic info comes from the embedded SIM and you have that service for 5 years from purchase. That is why I kept getting traffic after the one in the center console expired a few months back. For me, there is nothing useful provided by the additional connectivity of the SIM in the console, but I like getting traffic info. My Remote app still works and I believe that uses the embedded SIM. Just not getting traffic info any more...

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, I am pretty sure the traffic info comes from the embedded SIM and you have that service for 5 years from purchase. That is why I kept getting traffic after the one in the center console expired a few months back. For me, there is nothing useful provided by the additional connectivity of the SIM in the console, but I like getting traffic info. My Remote app still works and I believe that uses the embedded SIM. Just not getting traffic info any more...
I may be completely off base here, but I made an observation that may be relevant. I got my F-Pace recently and the center console SIM was not activated properly at delivery (I know, I know... that's what the pre-delivery letter is for). None of the Connected Navigation services (live traffic, online search, etc) or Live services (sports, weather, etc) were working. As an aside, remote app which uses built-in telematics was fine.

I contacted AT&T who then activated my SIM card. Here's the thing. Several days elapsed between them activating the SIM on the cellular network and them enabling the trial data plan. During this interval I was still unable to access the Live services, in-car wifi hotspot or web browser.... however I WAS receiving live traffic and able to do online destination search. It's as if there is a separate network path to the here.com services that bypasses the consumer-paid data plan -- provided you have an active SIM.

Now at some point if you don't have a valid data plan I'm assuming AT&T deactivates the SIM and everything stops. It's a theory anyway. Curious if anyone else's experience backs this up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I may be completely off base here, but I made an observation that may be relevant. I got my F-Pace recently and the center console SIM was not activated properly at delivery (I know, I know... that's what the pre-delivery letter is for). None of the Connected Navigation services (live traffic, online search, etc) or Live services (sports, weather, etc) were working.

I contacted AT&T who then activated my SIM card. Here's the thing. Several days elapsed between them activating the SIM on the cellular network and them enabling the trial data plan. During this interval I was still unable to access the Live services, in-car wifi hotspot or web browser.... however I WAS receiving live traffic and able to do online destination search. It's as if there is a separate network path to the here.com services that bypasses the consumer-paid data plan -- provided you have an active SIM.

Now at some point if you don't have a valid data plan I'm assuming AT&T deactivates the SIM and everything stops. It's a theory anyway. Curious if anyone else's experience backs this up.

·
F Pace Expert
2,535 Posts
Real time traffic definitely comes through the owner SIM connection not the embedded SIM connection. Some traffic data is picked up through traffic radio data but it is not as current or complete, like traffic flow data, as that gained through having an active SIM.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, thanks all. Seems like it does come through the paid SIM. Weird how it worked for quite a while after the trial expired on that but it seems like others have noted the same too.

I have tried using the connection to my cell hotspot but it never seems to connect automatically and recently I haven’t been able to get it connected at all.

My navigation seems to like to send me crazy routes - even my commute throws random loop backs into the mix occasionally. I have learned to live with the ICTP weird functionality and non working features, for the most part. Lack of decent, basic Nav is pretty shocking though.

·
F Pace Expert
2,535 Posts
Ok, thanks all. Seems like it does come through the paid SIM. Weird how it worked for quite a while after the trial expired on that but it seems like others have noted the same too.

I have tried using the connection to my cell hotspot but it never seems to connect automatically and recently I haven’t been able to get it connected at all.

My navigation seems to like to send me crazy routes - even my commute throws random loop backs into the mix occasionally. I have learned to live with the ICTP weird functionality and non working features, for the most part. Lack of decent, basic Nav is pretty shocking though.
Just to mention, the other thing that a working owner SIM or hotspot connection allows is instant downloads of favorite destinations and route planning from the Navigation app on your phone or the navigation web site.

On the hotspotting thing, it often takes a couple of minutes to reconnect the hotspot connection to phone. Drove me bonkers when I first tried it then I realized if I just left it alone it would reconnect automatically in 3-4 minutes after full start up. Seems like it’s the last thing ICTP gets around too after booting itself up.

The problems you are having with basic navigation are weird. I have never experienced that. The closest thing I’ve had is when it takes me off I-70 for one exit because of a traffic slowdown. Does it give you the same routing if you plan the route in the Navigation app? If not there’s a chance something is wrong with your gps or antenna or something like that. It is pretty sensitive to traffic but if you don’t have real time traffic then that wouldn’t be it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As I mentioned in a previous post I had issues with my AT&T SIM activation and trial data plan. AT&T ConnectedCar customer support sorted that out for me... but since I had their ear, I figured I would ask them about 3G vs 4G availability. Since I have a MY18 I was hoping I might have a unit capable of 4G.

They told me “Our team has educated me that the Jaguar just launched vehicle with LTE capability last month. After checking your vehicle’s capabilities in our systems it appears that you vehicle will only have the 3G data speeds. We apologize for any inconvenience.”

The availability of 4G on new vehicles is interesting in itself, but as an experiment I ordered a FreedomPop data-only SIM card which I received today. Plugged it in, configured APN and, voila, 4G!

Frustrating that AT&T won’t support 4G directly. I have a family data share plan with AT&T and it would be easier for me that way.

·
F Pace Expert
2,535 Posts
As I mentioned in a previous post I had issues with my AT&T SIM activation and trial data plan. AT&T ConnectedCar customer support sorted that out for me... but since I had their ear, I figured I would ask them about 3G vs 4G availability. Since I have a MY18 I was hoping I might have a unit capable of 4G.

They told me “Our team has educated me that the Jaguar just launched vehicle with LTE capability last month. After checking your vehicle’s capabilities in our systems it appears that you vehicle will only have the 3G data speeds. We apologize for any inconvenience.”

The availability of 4G on new vehicles is interesting in itself, but as an experiment I ordered a FreedomPop data-only SIM card which I received today. Plugged it in, configured APN and, voila, 4G!

Frustrating that AT&T won’t support 4G directly. I have a family data share plan with AT&T and it would be easier for me that way.
I’ve speed tested 3G and it’s pretty darn fast. If you are using data only for car functionality then 3G speeds are way more than enough. It may even support a couple of streaming kids.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’ve speed tested 3G and it’s pretty darn fast. If you are using data only for car functionality then 3G speeds are way more than enough. It may even support a couple of streaming kids.
For car only functions I agree 3G should be sufficient. I'm on free trial periods for both AT&T and FreedomPop so over the next month I plan to switch back and forth between the two and see how the performance differs, both on speed test apps and real world experience.

I had originally been planning to use the hotspot feature and connect my phone and passengers phones to the car's wifi to take advantage of the external antenna. I'm in an area with good LTE coverage which my phone has no trouble connecting to so that by itself probably isn't a reason to want 4G connectivity for the car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just ran speed tests.

AT&T SIM (3G): 10 Mbps
FreedomPop SIM (4G): 30 Mbps (3x)

Using my phone's native AT&T LTE on the same test gets 120 Mbps (12x)

So the 4G versus 3G speed pickup from FP is something but definitely not at LTE rates. That makes me a lot less inclined to want to use the wifi hotspot feature for sharing the car's cellular connection in either scenario.

The decision for me really comes down to the most cost effective data plan. I'll need to monitor my data usage to see if I can live within the free 200MB FP plan but most likely will do the car to my AT&T unlimited family data share plan for $10/month.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The decision for me really comes down to the most cost effective data plan. I'll need to monitor my data usage to see if I can live within the free 200MB FP plan but most likely will do the car to my AT&T unlimited family data share plan for $10/month.
I tried to add my car sim to my AT&T unlimited data plan and they told me it couldn't be done, that I'd have to use "connected car" separately. That is why I went with FreedomPop. Has something changed at AT&T that I'm not aware of??:confused:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
@sb959 I would be interested in your opinion of this after using both for a while. If you are not streaming or web surfing and only using Freedompop for just traffic data etc... It is sounding like from others on here that 200MB a month may just be enough?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried to add my car sim to my AT&T unlimited data plan and they told me it couldn't be done, that I'd have to use "connected car" separately. That is why I went with FreedomPop. Has something changed at AT&T that I'm not aware of??:confused:
Dang! I have to be honest, I hadn't considered that my existing cell plan might not be eligible to add the vehicle SIM. When I go to the connected car site to see what my options are I get the following:

- Add to existing Mobile Share value or Mobile Share Advantage. Mobile Share Value: Overage charges (up to $20/300 MB) apply. Mobile Share Advantage: After use of high-speed data allotments, data usage is slowed to a max of 128 Kbps (2G speed) for the rest of the bill cycle. Audio/video streaming and other data usage will be impacted and may not be fully functional. See below for details.*** $10
Available to existing AT&T Wireless Customers

- 10GB for 30days* $40
Available to all vehicle owners

- Unlimited Connected Car for 30days* $20
Available to all vehicle owners

I currently have "Unlimited Plus Multi-Line" plan which definitely sounds different than the "Mobile Share Value" and "Mobile Share Advantage" plans they reference above.

That definitely changes the calculus!

·
Registered
65 Posts
@sb959 I would be interested in your opinion of this after using both for a while. If you are not streaming or web surfing and only using Freedompop for just traffic data etc... It is sounding like from others on here that 200MB a month may just be enough?
If understand the options correctly (now), the break-even data usage per month is 1,200 MB (1.17GB). Paying $20/month to AT&T is equivalent to having to pay for an extra 1000 MB to FreedomPop @ 0.02/MB over the free 200MB. Anything less than 1,200 MB /month and FreedomPop is still your better option.

The nice thing about FP is that they show very detailed usage so it'll be pretty simple to see how this is playing out. Will report back once I've got a week under my belt (which will include a road trip next weekend),

·
Registered
188 Posts
What I find interesting is on MY18, my AT&T SIM shows up as 3G and when I activated my FreedomPop SIM and used that, it also shows up as 3G. Could MY18 only be 3G? Anyway to tell if it is 4G capable?

101 - 120 of 156 Posts