Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 40 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told flat out by Verizon that they do not have a micro SIM that can be used in the car. Can someone prove me wrong???
You are correct, they have not tested the ACTIA system in the F-Pace and I have tried to marry a Verizon SIM and it didn't work nor is it supported. This is the system that is in the F-Pace.

Model: ACTIA TELEMATICS CONTROL UNIT
Brand: ACTIA NORDIC AB
IMEI: TAC: 358164 FAC: 05 SNR: 100921 CD: 7

If anyone looks up the IMEI number only, they can see who does support it. Virgin Mobile in Canada does and One other in the US, I forget which, but other than AT&T it's not one of the major cell providers. Please feel free to do a IMEI system lookup for supporters (358164051009217).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still hopeful either a) I'll use Verizon 4G LTE through my phone to connect as suggested on here and/or b) that a Verizon SIM card would work, still waiting for someone else to try, though I'm skeptical this is possible based on info on this thread. A kinda crazy, and very redundant, possibility for Verizon 4G LTE is: Zubie: In Car WiFi Hotspot powered by Verizon 4G LTE Network. This is for someone who absolutely wanted built in 4G LTE, then route car through this hotspot.

Just to say it again, ATT process should be smoother going forward, there is a known issue with the way earlier vehicles, SIM card, VIN#'s, etc were handled. No new vehicles going forward are supposed to be delivered to customers without fixing this problem and it's supposed to be completely fixed upstream at factories/SIM suppliers.
I have Verizon and use my LG V10 as a hot spot for the F-Pace linkup and works so much better then AT&T. Their coverage in Florida was spotty at best and wasn't very impressed. I have the 6GB/month plan with Verizon and I doubt I will ever exceed that with the F-Pace as I tracked the AT&T usage during the free period. For me I don't have to pickup another service for data and I can use my Verizon plan which works much smoother for web browsing, News, Weather, and Google map overlays as needed.

I hope this helps others in understanding that until this system is picked up by other carriers, we are kinda out in the cold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand that there are numerous members here who have used other providers and it is working perfectly fine. I believe putting other provider's SIMS in have been a lot smoother than trying to connect with AT&T.
Please let us know which provider SIMS have worked in the F-Pace please. We all would like to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there anyway for the system to keep your hotspot as primary. Every time the system is shut off you have to manually reconnect to have your hotspot from your phone active.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Please let us know which provider SIMS have worked in the F-Pace please. We all would like to know. Thanks
Here was a comment by Peter, well informed and respected member on here.

"So I just popped down to Rogers, had them add a "data only" SIM to my existing plan that shares my existing data plan, and popped the SIM in the car and it works flawlessly. Strongly recommend this for anyone in Canada, vs trying to use the AT&T SIM the car comes with."

I did a search but "SIM" is too short to search on. The post was from about three or four weeks ago, but someone (in the east) put a different carriers's SIM in and it reportedly worked just fine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Guys,

I have had the AT&T, Rogers, And Bell SIM cards all in my car and they all work just fine. Forum members in the UK have been using all kinds of sim cards from a variety of providers. This concept of it only working with AT&T is totally false. It is essentially the same as any multiband unlocked GSM world phone. Pop in any GSM microsim card and it works just fine. Please check and make sure you understand the difference between CDMA and GSM. GSM is a global mobile standard supported worldwide and by these companies in the US: A full list of GSM Carriers in the USA (notably AT&T and T-Mobile). SIM cards from any of these companies are compatible.

In contrast CDMA is a USA only technology with no global uptake. It is used by Verizon, Sprint, and other US carriers and is not compatible with the F-Pace (which is designed for a global market).

As the cellular radio in the F-Pace is GSM, it is compatible with most carriers around the world, and in the US, those in the list above. It is not compatible with Verizon or Sprint ( because of their outdated US Only technology), but that is not the same thing as being locked to AT&T.

"I hope this helps others in understanding that until this system is picked up by other carriers, we are kinda out in the cold."
Unfortunately, it won't be picked up by any non-GSM carriers - it cannot be due to them having incompatible technologies and this will not change.

I used to teach classes on cellular technologies, and I won't go into it here, but sufficed to say a few of the big US carriers made some bad choices at key points in their development by backing CDMA, which didn't turn out to be a global standard, and it is now too costly for them to back down, so they keep pushing forward with this limited technology.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Peter

Maybe you can be of assistance:
My ATT Sim works just fine. But I don't have an ATT account and don't want to pay them starting September when the 90 days is up. So I got a Truphone Sim, which is GSM as you mentioned. I have one in my Audi and its great - pay as you go.

But when I put it in the FP nothing happened. The mobile provider still said ATT, and it ran and ran and then said could not connect. I put it on automatic search for provider and nothing happened.

Is there some step that I missed?

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Were you trying the Audi SIM in F-Pace? If so will not work. You need to get a brand new SIM and set it up for the F-Pace.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Were you trying the Audi SIM in F-Pace? If so will not work. You need to get a brand new SIM and set it up for the F-Pace.
No, I ordered brand new sim from Truphone. Other than activating it with Truphone, which I did, what do you mean by "set it up for F Pace"?

The electronics in this car give me a headache :)

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Hope this might help if you haven't read it yet otherwise will wait for Peter to chime in. Just to check also, new SIM card oriented correctly and completely inserted? Some people have had trouble seating theirs correctly in the slot.

CONNECTIVITY SETTINGS

Mobile data connectivity:

Mobile data requires the installation of a data-enabled micro SIM card. See SIM CARD INSTALLATION

Select ON to enable mobile data.

Select Agree to agree to the terms and conditions.

NOTES
Mobile data connectivity is indicated by an icon at the top of the screen. See CONNECTIVITY STATUS ICONS.

Select Mobile Settings to access the following options:

Network provider: The network provider of the inserted SIM is displayed. To change the APN settings, select the network provider's name to open the NETWORK PROVIDER screen. Set Auto Select to OFF. Add the Network, Username, and Password, Select Connect.

Roaming: Data roaming is set to OFF as default. Select ON to enable roaming.

Usage Limit: The usage limit is set to OFF as default. Select ON to enable usage limit.

Usage: The usage counter displays the total data usage for the month. The usage counter resets on the 1st day of the month, as default. When the usage limit is set to ON, the usage limit also displays.

Select Usage to change the usage limit and the monthly reset date. Use the reset counter to reset the current usage to zero.

SIM PIN: A PIN can be set or changed for the inserted SIM card.

Remember SIM PIN:

Select ON to remember.

Select OFF to forget the PIN.

About:

From the CONNECTIVITY menu screen, select About to display the vehicle's MAC address and IMEI number.

To reset all connectivity settings to default, select Reset and then select Yes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Network provider: The network provider of the inserted SIM is displayed. To change the APN settings, select the network provider's name to open the NETWORK PROVIDER screen. Set Auto Select to OFF. Add the Network, Username, and Password, Select Connect.

Yes, I followed all those instructions. The big question is: in your paragraph above it asks for the network, username and password. Whose username and password? Truphone doesn't require one as the sim is already internet ready. Is this something I need from Jaguar? Or is it just a step that can be skipped? And if it can be skipped, why isn't the sim connecting?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jaguar Remote App

I have Verizon and use my LG V10 as a hot spot for the F-Pace linkup and works so much better then AT&T. Their coverage in Florida was spotty at best and wasn't very impressed. I have the 6GB/month plan with Verizon and I doubt I will ever exceed that with the F-Pace as I tracked the AT&T usage during the free period. For me I don't have to pickup another service for data and I can use my Verizon plan which works much smoother for web browsing, News, Weather, and Google map overlays as needed.

I hope this helps others in understanding that until this system is picked up by other carriers, we are kinda out in the cold.

If I use my Verizon phone as a hot spot for the F-Pace, can I still use the Jaguar Remote App? I read that if you don't use the SIM in the car, the app will not work.

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Yes you can, your SIM card has nothing to do with the Jaguar Apps.
Correct on Remote App, the Remote app uses the built in vehicle telematic/cellular connection which is separate and distinct from the 3G connection provided by a SIM. So you can use the Remote app without a SIM/3G connection.

The Route Planner app relies on a user provided vehicle internet connection either through a SIM/3G connection or a phone hotspot or similar. If you don't have either then Route Planner app cannot relay routes and destinations to vehicle navigation system.

- from the pedantic clarification department ;)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
- from the pedantic clarification department ;)
I admit it , I had to look it up !!!
But , what I found , brings me to the conclusion that your description of yourself is ACCURATE !!! ;)

Pendant - a: One who parades his learning !!! VERY ACCURATE Indeed !!! >:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Project Fi users - if you are interested in adding your 2018 F-Pace w/ ICTP as an additional device to your plan I can confirm that it can be done. 2 important pieces of information:

1) you will need a nano-to-micro sim card adapter in order to support the data-only sim from Google
2) you will need to use "h2g2" as the name of the network when specifying APN settings

The system will try to set the Network name to "Project Fi" or "T-Mobile" but if you set Auto Select to OFF, add the Network as "h2g2", leave Username and Password blank, and then select Connect you should connect successfully to the Project Fi data network.

I can confirm that this setup works in a 2018 F-Pace S w/ ICTP. Also, 2018 owners should notice a 4G icon displayed when that level of service is available when leveraging the Project Fi network.

FYI - no cost for the data-only sim w/ Project Fi and the sim uses the same data allowance provided to the main phone associated with the plan.

If anyone would like more info please let respond and I will do my best to help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Project Fi users - if you are interested in adding your 2018 F-Pace w/ ICTP as an additional device to your plan I can confirm that it can be done. 2 important pieces of information:

1) you will need a nano-to-micro sim card adapter in order to support the data-only sim from Google
2) you will need to use "h2g2" as the name of the network when specifying APN settings

The system will try to set the Network name to "Project Fi" or "T-Mobile" but if you set Auto Select to OFF, add the Network as "h2g2", leave Username and Password blank, and then select Connect you should connect successfully to the Project Fi data network.

I can confirm that this setup works in a 2018 F-Pace S w/ ICTP. Also, 2018 owners should notice a 4G icon displayed when that level of service is available when leveraging the Project Fi network.

FYI - no cost for the data-only sim w/ Project Fi and the sim uses the same data allowance provided to the main phone associated with the plan.

If anyone would like more info please let respond and I will do my best to help.
So...I have AT&T as my cell carrier. Do I need to get a SIM card from them? Does this add cost to my cell plan? Clearly I don't understand how all this works.

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
@jnooning What you are proposing is/would be very interesting to many members here. If you could take the time to explain just a little about Project Fi (a wireless service from Google) and possibly a DIY with pictures if necessary that would be great for all those interested. I do not mean to ask you to do more than you are willing but there are many non techies that would appreciate what this does.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
@jnooning What you are proposing is/would be very interesting to many members here. If you could take the time to explain just a little about Project Fi (a wireless service from Google) and possibly a DIY with pictures if necessary that would be great for all those interested. I do not mean to ask you to do more than you are willing but there are many non techies that would appreciate what this does.
What's *Google* ???;)

21 - 40 of 154 Posts