Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive if this rambling......

So it appears that AT&T is the partner/provider of choice of mobile connectivity in the US via the SIM card slot. Is that locked down, or could you also use a TMobile or other providers SIM card instead?

I would guess that the F Pace's wifi hotspot would only work when using mobile data, but will ALL other data features work if you simply connect to your iPhone's hotspot via wifi and forego the SIM card altogether?

Also, the online owner's manual implies 3G speeds, but the AT&T "my connected car" website says 4G. Anyone know which is accurate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts

So it appears that AT&T is the partner/provider of choice of mobile connectivity in the US via the SIM card slot. Is that locked down, or could you also use a TMobile or other providers SIM card instead?

I would guess that the F Pace's wifi hotspot would only work when using mobile data, but will ALL other data features work if you simply connect to your iPhone's hotspot via wifi and forego the SIM card altogether?

Also, the online owner's manual implies 3G speeds, but the AT&T "my connected car" website says 4G. Anyone know which is accurate?

Thanks.
A Few points:

1. 4G technically doesn't exist as a technology. It is a just a marketing gimmick used in some countries to denote "faster than original 3G". In reality, it is just the latest iteration of 3G. Therefore, both are correct. Technically it is a 3G connection, but it operates at what the US refers to as 4G speeds. No worries there it is 4G in the terms you are used to.

2. The SIM slot is unlocked. It can be used with any mobile provider. AT&T is just who is comes with the sample sim and 3 months of free trial data from.

3. A SIM/cellular connection is totally unnecessary. The internet data connection that is needed for all "live"/"data enabled services" can come either over a cellular connect, OR via connecting the car's wifi to your phone's hotspot. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7q-OhICUs for details.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Peter, will there be a way to encrypt the F-Pace 3g/4g capability to keep people from pulling up next to me in a parking lot and opening their laptops?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Peter, will there be a way to encrypt the F-Pace 3g/4g capability to keep people from pulling up next to me in a parking lot and opening their laptops?
Yup! Just like a home network, it has a password set. The password is randomly generated by the car, and fairly complex (it is displayed on the touch screen for you to setup your devices and share with guests) so people pulling up next to you won't be able to just "join it" like a public wifi hotspot. That said, as with any wifi network (including your home one), it is theoretically hackable if someone was parked beside you for days while your car was running and they had the right (very rare) tools. Basically those tools just try random passwords over and over again until they guess right. This is the exact same scenario with your home wifi network. Note: Even if this somehow happened (truly unheard of) all they would be able to do is get into the car's wifi network and use its internet connection, and see any files that were shared by devices on the network. They would not be able to "hack" into the car's systems in anyway - that is a completely different, firewalled infrastructure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and link Peter. I haven't gotten that far yet in the flood of videos they released this week...

So is the car equivalent to a "world phone" in that it will connect to all the different bands/frequencies used by the different carriers? Because it would have to be in order for just anyone's SIM to work. 3G/4G/LTE all use different frequencies and bands within those frequencies---Will the Jag do them all?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the info and link Peter. I haven't gotten that far yet in the flood of videos they released this week...

So is the car equivalent to a "world phone" in that it will connect to all the different bands/frequencies used by the different carriers? Because it would have to be in order for just anyone's SIM to work. 3G/4G/LTE all use different frequencies and bands within those frequencies---Will the Jag do them all?
Like most world phones it will do a subset most likely. Because the product is available in so many markets, it would shock me if they had a different radio for each market. Much more likely they will put in a 'world radio' that covers all the most common bands.

I can't find any specific documentation on the frequencies covered, but it would shock me if it was not fairly broad, given the markets.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Thanks.
One feature for which you will need the SIM and connectivity is when you want to control your car from your phone- like start, stop, heat/ cool etc...

For all other purposes you can use home network of phone internet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Verizon SIM? I don't think that Verizon has a SIM. It is CDMA- no sim card.
Verizon phones have to have a SIM to use Verizon's 4G/LTE network. CDMA was the only choice on Verizon a few years ago.

edit: billj04 beat me to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can any of you advise m where or how I can find my Wifi password? I already the AT&T connection but cannot find in the emails from them or Jaguar the password for the Wifi. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can any of you advise m where or how I can find my Wifi password? I already the AT&T connection but cannot find in the emails from them or Jaguar the password for the Wifi. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
It's in your setting in your vehicle . You need to go to all settings > features > connectivity > wifi Hotspot settings ... and it will show your network name and password.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A Few points:

1. 4G technically doesn't exist as a technology. It is a just a marketing gimmick used in some countries to denote "faster than original 3G". In reality, it is just the latest iteration of 3G. Therefore, both are correct. Technically it is a 3G connection, but it operates at what the US refers to as 4G speeds. No worries there it is 4G in the terms you are used to.

2. The SIM slot is unlocked. It can be used with any mobile provider. AT&T is just who is comes with the sample sim and 3 months of free trial data from.

3. A SIM/cellular connection is totally unnecessary. The internet data connection that is needed for all "live"/"data enabled services" can come either over a cellular connect, OR via connecting the car's wifi to your phone's hotspot. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7q-OhICUs for details.

Hope this helps!
I have looked into this and done some research. Only AT&T supports the F-Pace. Do not waste your money on another SIM at this time. I found out what the model of phone that is in the F-Pace. Until more companies start supporting ACTIA telematics in the US you are stuck with AT&T. I have used my Verizon Cell phone as a hot spot and ran the F-Pace through it with awesome results. Web, news, weather google maps work so much better. enjoy...

BTW Virgin Mobile in Canada supports this phone.

8914800000 0777215717

Information about your phone

Model: ACTIA TELEMATICS CONTROL UNIT
Brand: ACTIA NORDIC AB
IMEI: TAC: 358164 FAC: 05 SNR: 100921 CD: 7

Basic information:
Device type:
Phone

SIM card size:
Mini Sim - Regular

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have looked into this and done some research. Only AT&T supports the F-Pace. Do not waste your money on another SIM at this time.
I understand that there are numerous members here who have used other providers and it is working perfectly fine. I believe putting other provider's SIMS in have been a lot smoother than trying to connect with AT&T.

·
F Pace Expert
2,625 Posts
I'm still hopeful either a) I'll use Verizon 4G LTE through my phone to connect as suggested on here and/or b) that a Verizon SIM card would work, still waiting for someone else to try, though I'm skeptical this is possible based on info on this thread. A kinda crazy, and very redundant, possibility for Verizon 4G LTE is: Zubie: In Car WiFi Hotspot powered by Verizon 4G LTE Network. This is for someone who absolutely wanted built in 4G LTE, then route car through this hotspot.

Just to say it again, ATT process should be smoother going forward, there is a known issue with the way earlier vehicles, SIM card, VIN#'s, etc were handled. No new vehicles going forward are supposed to be delivered to customers without fixing this problem and it's supposed to be completely fixed upstream at factories/SIM suppliers.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts