Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using their iPhone as a hotspot or a mifi connection for a 4G coonection? If so any issues with the connection? Thinking it may be a good alternative to an AT&T sim.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I was using my Verizon iPhone for a while, the only issue I saw is that the car had to be convinced to connect now and again, however that may be my phone since I am normally running the next beta of Apples OS on the device. I have since switched to a Zubie which connects to the OBD port under the dash and provides Wifi and other services every time you start the car. Cost for the device is $99 and then $5 per month if added to an existing Verizon Data Plan. I find this setup is consistent as the car connects to it every time, I also get LTE speeds and I can also use the Zubie as a hotspot for my sons iPad. There are other threads on the site that talk about this area. Search Zubie, or iPhone and you'll probably find them all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am taking a Verizon mifi jetpack from a laptop at work. My understanding is that the main issue with these is the battery losing charge when car turned off due to switched usb port.

Is that correct? What have people been doing as an end-around?

Also my understanding is that a Verizon sim card will NOT work. Is that correct? Has anyone been able to get one up and running?

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
I am taking a Verizon mifi jetpack from a laptop at work. My understanding is that the main issue with these is the battery losing charge when car turned off due to switched usb port.

Is that correct? What have people been doing as an end-around?

Also my understanding is that a Verizon sim card will NOT work. Is that correct? Has anyone been able to get one up and running?
Verizon does not offer a 3G gsm sim card. Zubie or similar device is a way to put car on Verizon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been down the road of trying a few different options for internet connectivity. However, I'll be honest the FreedomPop has worked out great for me. Especially at the low low price of free. I tried the tethering thing with my iPhone. But, somehow I would get back in the car, and the tether option was off on my phone or it wouldn't connect.

I was always messing with it somehow. With the FP, I set it and forget it and it's worked for me. Been pretty solid so far and 200MB for free is good. Enough for traffic data and web based nav searches.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I tether to my Verizon iPhone 6 Plus. Works great, and since it's LTE instead of 3G, it's a far better experience. Until I turn off the car. Then when I get back in and start the car, it seems to have completely forgotten about my SSID. I have to reattach to my phone and then it prompts for the password every time.

I haven't had the 2.5 ICTP update yet. Don't know if this will resolve or not. I'm hearing that there is a bulletin out there for the telematics modules as well around wifi connectivity. I hope to have this addressed soon whenever I can make time to get the car into the dealer.

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
I tether to my Verizon iPhone 6 Plus. Works great, and since it's LTE instead of 3G, it's a far better experience. Until I turn off the car. Then when I get back in and start the car, it seems to have completely forgotten about my SSID. I have to reattach to my phone and then it prompts for the password every time.

I haven't had the 2.5 ICTP update yet. Don't know if this will resolve or not. I'm hearing that there is a bulletin out there for the telematics modules as well around wifi connectivity. I hope to have this addressed soon whenever I can make time to get the car into the dealer.
I found when I was goofing with phone connection I just had to wait a bit and it would auto connect to phone. At first I kept going back in and reconnecting but then found if I just waited 5-7 minutes it reconnected. Same with Zubie. Not sure if the delay was related to my now replaced telematics unit or not. With solid 3G I have not had occasion to try again.

Separately, I signed up for ATT annual plan which is only $120 and provides plenty of data for ICTP functions BUT I do not use it for other data. 3G is plenty fast for ICTP functions and even web browsing is snappy now that my telematics is 100%.

Reactions: Okie

·
Registered
148 Posts
I found when I was goofing with phone connection I just had to wait a bit and it would auto connect to phone. At first I kept going back in and reconnecting but then found if I just waited 5-7 minutes it reconnected. Same with Zubie. Not sure if the delay was related to my now replaced telematics unit or not. With solid 3G I have not had occasion to try again.

Separately, I signed up for ATT annual plan which is only $120 and provides plenty of data for ICTP functions BUT I do not use it for other data. 3G is plenty fast for ICTP functions and even web browsing is snappy now that my telematics is 100%.
Mine never reconnects unless I force it, and when I do, I have to reenter the password. You have the delay SINCE the telematics unit was replaced, or before?

Also, did the K444NAS1 show up under outstanding campaigns for your VIN in TOPIx, or was it addressed do to issues you brought up? I'm just curious if they'll tell me "that bulletin doesn't apply to your VIN."

·
Registered
278 Posts

How many GB on the $120 plan? I saw the 20GB for $150 plan. I may just stay with the ATT to keep things simple.

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
Mine never reconnects unless I force it, and when I do, I have to reenter the password. You have the delay SINCE the telematics unit was replaced, or before?

Also, did the K444NAS1 show up under outstanding campaigns for your VIN in TOPIx, or was it addressed do to issues you brought up? I'm just curious if they'll tell me "that bulletin doesn't apply to your VIN."
Interesting because K444 specifically mentions wifi problems. Mine had a delay connecting BEFORE telematics unit replaced. Have not tested after except with Zubie which connected much faster than before replacement (Zubie is a 4G LTE gizmo that provides wifi hotspot car then connects to).

The service department at my dealership is super proactive. They had worked several times previously on my 3G and as soon as they caught wind of telematics replacement they got one and got me scheduled for replacement. This was before the Topix item even popped up.

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
How many GB on the $120 plan? I saw the 20GB for $150 plan. I may just stay with the ATT to keep things simple.
Sorry, misquoted from memory, I did do the $150/20GB plan. Seemed a good deal and as you noted made life simple.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interesting because K444 specifically mentions wifi problems. Mine had a delay connecting BEFORE telematics unit replaced. Have not tested after except with Zubie which connected much faster than before replacement (Zubie is a 4G LTE gizmo that provides wifi hotspot car then connects to).

The service department at my dealership is super proactive. They had worked several times previously on my 3G and as soon as they caught wind of telematics replacement they got one and got me scheduled for replacement. This was before the Topix item even popped up.
Good to know. I don't have a TOPIx subscription, but when I look at my VIN, the K444 doesn't show up under outstanding campaigns, so I wondered if it only applied to a specific range of VINs or if they only address it when a customer complains. I haven't had my car back to the dealer since delivery (3300 miles ago), so I'm compiling a list of items to address. This is definitely on the list. Hopefully they can resolve it without much fuss.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Any idea on data usage for the ICTP functions? How many hours of using traffic and POI does it take to use 20GB? Just does not sound like much.

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
Any idea on data usage for the ICTP functions? How many hours of using traffic and POI does it take to use 20GB? Just does not sound like much.
ICTP doesn't use all that much. I've been on pace to use well less than 100mb a month.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ICTP doesn't use all that much. I've been on pace to use well less than 100mb a month.
I am in the car for about 3000-4000 miles per month. Will use the POI, traffic, and other ICTP internet features. Just not sure if I will be less than 100MB. I can never judge those things well.

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
Make sure you sign into ATT account during the trial period to see what you are using. I think the only thing that burns data is using the satellite maps where big images are downloading a lot. It may even start to cache those if same region is used a lot. Obviously if you use the wifi hotspot then you can burn data fast. I was surprised how little data I used even on long road trips.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds good. All our phones and tablets have their own cell data connection so they will not need to use the car's connection. I will just need a connection to use the nav and internut stuff.

·
Registered
278 Posts
While the ATT 3G is working at approx 100% - sometimes it takes a little while to boot up, I have hooked up my verizon jetpack. I plugged the usb into the cigarette port with an adapter. It appears this is always hot so the jetpack will not run out of batteries and always will be on. It boots/connects quickly and I do notice faster updates on the weather and such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts