1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, good for me the 20d doesn't exactly idle quietly! And the autostop turns the car off when you open the driver door if you forget to push the button and the car is not running.

I do agree, with hybrid technology it certainly is a safety flaw.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
They should just set it up so your car sends you a text message that it is running at certain timed intervals. That could be done easily with a little ICTP update.... I think it should do that also if you leave your lights on or some thing else that could have been left on in error....

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is all great and good until you leave the car running in the parking lot for your passenger (of whom you don’t trust with the keys) to stay warm on a -20 day or cool in the summer ...while you run into a store?

Maybe they have a way to override the auto stop feature that I missed in the article?

S.Chapman

·
Registered
507 Posts
I never thought about that, where after awhile the battery could go dead and the ReX kicks on. I would suppose that could happen on my gas/electric ELR, but their solution is anytime the key FOB leaves the car, it emits 3 annoying honks that let you know it's still on. Of course some owners complain about that since they may get out of their car to check the mail or they forgot something in the house only to get the crap scared out of them as they're walking back by the car again and get honked at... So then you have to remember to leave the FOB in the car if you're going to go back for something...

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
WHY is an *Electric Car* left running , a *Safety Concern* ???
It doesn't emit Fumes that could kill someone , does it ???
I'm seriously interested in knowing WHAT the "dangers" are !!!
Just curious !!!
Guess you didn't read the whole article it has to do with hybrid vehicles! When the batteries start to run low the engine will start up to charge the batteries or keep the car running assuming that you forgot to hit the stop button when you got out of the car.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is all great and good until you leave the car running in the parking lot for your passenger (of whom you don’t trust with the keys) to stay warm on a -20 day or cool in the summer ...while you run into a store?

Maybe they have a way to override the auto stop feature that I missed in the article?

S.Chapman
The article mentions that Toyota has not yet released info on how long it will go before shutting off but if I had to guess it will be long enough to allow the car to idle while you run into a store or whatever else.

@kconnor123 I never looked at this issue with hybrids in mind but now that I have it is even more confounding that a feature like this has not already been introduced for hybrids (aside from one Chevy vehicle I believe). It is so much easier to think you hit the stop button and not realize you did not in a hybrid vehicle than it would be a non-hybrid

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you think of all the safety equipment on cars these days, people quickly think of airbags, emergency braking, anti-lock brakes, lane departure warning, etc. The truth is, in my opinion, your tires are the most important safety feature on your vehicle. It is often the most ignored as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts