56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not really apples to apples, but an accurate analysis. If you value ride comfort and cargo/passenger space over sport acceleration and handling than go with the Volvo. Unfortunately for some members of this forum, they left off the critical categories of voice control, gas cap locking, and cup holder configurations, so other buyers may be mislead by the term "luxury."

Seriously though, what these comparisons tend to neglect is the X-factor, and I doubt there are many forums out there with threads devoted to "strangers reactions to your ride."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Luxury Suvs

I am wondering if they even drove both cars. I looked and drove both and it wasn't even close. The Volvo is completely under powered, does not ride any better than the Jag, and is very "old school" in looks.

In comparison, the Jag handles like a sports car, has way more power, and is modern and up to date looking.

I thought the Volvo was kind of ok, until I drove the Jag. I liked the Jag enough that there is a Glacier White F Pace S sitting in my garage.
Every time I get in and drive it, I know that I made the correct decision!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I think the review of both vehicles was spot on, but I didn't even consider the XC-90 (and could have with a discount since my brother in law runs a Volvo dealership) since its not a performance SUV. Its a soccer moms SUV! Comparing the F-Pace against the XC90 just because they are SUVS is like comparing a BMW M3 against a Lexus GS just because they both are cars. Completely different vehicles with different target audiences.

Reactions: Jman97

·
Registered
50 Posts
I drove the XC90, Audi Q7, and Infiniti QX60 all in succession, so I have a very good read on how these stack up against one another, as well as the F-Pace. I think it comes down to what you prioritize and weight within that prioritization... The Lexus wasn't on my list because I find it kitschy and butt ugly in the front-end.

The XC90 is underpowered, and there is no way I would trust a 4 banger in this heavy vehicle over the long-term. I'd only consider a lease. The ext styling was nice, and I'd give it a nod over the Q7. I really didn't like the odd inset Infiniti did with the side/rear window. The seats in the XC90 were excellent, and interior was clean, and well laid out. I didn't care for the hood area which was a bit too prominent in view (too high), which made the car 'feel' bigger than it was...

When it came to the interior, the Audi had some 'wow' factor, but some of this was a bit gimmicky (like the colored strip lights and screen that popped out of center dash), which might have been 'wow' for a first drive, but quickly muted once you own for a while... Their Google Earth in LCD was also very cool. XC90 was decent as well, but not as nice as the Audi. Infiniti was good, but #3 amongst these. The Audi had an odd way to access the 3rd row, which wasn't as easy as the XC90.

Ride: the XC90 felt pretty nimble for an SUV, but was a bit harsh with its ride compared to the other two. It felt underpowered, to me. The Infinti's ride was great- if you like 'comfort'. It actually reminded me of a couple loaded Buick Enclave's I recently rented. The Audi struck a nice balance between ride and comfort, had a great interior, and decent power.

Clear winner of these three was the Audi. The only thing I didn't like about it was the awful residuals (for leasing), ridiculous MF's being offered, as well as the dealer's unwillingness to actually 'deal'. I was sitting on my hands waiting for the dealer to stop smoking crack with grandma, and one or more of these factors improved. That's when I saw the announcement that the F-Pace was about to be released (my lease was up in May). I extended my lease, until I could get more info on the F-Pace and actually see one.

Fast forward to my local dealer getting their 'show' car- that couldn't be driven. My concern about the F-Pace HAD been that it just wasn't anything special, in the looks department, and it looked a bit small vs the others I had tested. That changed 180 degrees when I actually saw a white S show up at the dealer. Pics don't do this car (S version) justice, and you can really appreciate the size/scale from pics. I knew the Q7 and F-Pace were 'tied', based on the available info I had (seeing one up close, and reading notes from people who drove). First dealer to come to me with a deal that I felt was fair, would get the deal. F-Pace won, and beyond the pure #'s of the lease, another consideration was maintenance costs. Jag's no-cost maintenance was definitely a factor.

So... now that I've put about 650 miles one my F-Pace, I'd rank like this:

Interior:
1) XC90
2) Q7
3a) Infiniti
3b) F-Pace
* there are things I prefer in the F-Pace,but overall, the Infiniti felt a bit more 'luxurious', based on memory.

Ride comfort:
1) Infiniti
2) Q7
3) XC90
4) F-Pace

Handling:
1) F-Pace
2) Q7
3) XC90
4) Infiniti

Power:
1) F-Pace
2) Q7
3) XC90
4) Infiniti

Exterior Looks:
1) F-Pace
2) XC90
3) Q7
4) QX60

The Q7 one step down from the insanely priced B&O system had the best sound of the bunch, including the F-Pace.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Interior:
1) XC90
2) Q7
3a) Infiniti
3b) F-Pace
* there are things I prefer in the F-Pace,but overall, the Infiniti felt a bit more 'luxurious', based on memory.

Ride comfort:
1) Infiniti
2) Q7
3) XC90
4) F-Pace
I'm surprised you put F-Pace so low. Having Infiniti now can't put it above F Pace in interior or ride comfort.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have the newest QX-60? I'm going from memory, several months ago, and recall the Infiniti riding very similarly to a Buick Enclave, which is actually quite comfortable, but a bit 'sloppy' for handling.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Gents, I've been arguing this point for awhile now. These comparative reviews are stupid because they compare apples to pomegranates. But there are people on this board who think comparing a Macan to an F-Pace is a valid comparison even if the Macan is the 400 HP Macan Turbo and the F-Pace is the 2-liter, 180HP diesel. It's so stupid. You have to try and match the variants to get them as close a possible for a legitimate comparison.

Comparing a three-row, 7 passenger SUV to a two-row, 5-passenger SUV makes absolutely no sense. I lose total respect for the reviewers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I get where you're coming from, Trek, but it IS a reasonable comparison, in that people who are looking at an XC90 might also be looking at an F-Pace. I'm an example of this, in that I test drove the XC90, Q7, & Infiniti QX60, before deciding to go with the F-Pace. There is some common appeal in this category even though the cars don't match up exactly in certain aspects (2 row vs 3 row, as an example).

Reactions: Tackle and JWreck

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Not really apples to apples, but an accurate analysis. If you value ride comfort and cargo/passenger space over sport acceleration and handling than go with the Volvo. Unfortunately for some members of this forum, they left off the critical categories of voice control, gas cap locking, and cup holder configurations, so other buyers may be mislead by the term "luxury."

Seriously though, what these comparisons tend to neglect is the X-factor, and I doubt there are many forums out there with threads devoted to "strangers reactions to your ride."
Bwahahaha

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I get where you're coming from, Trek, but it IS a reasonable comparison, in that people who are looking at an XC90 might also be looking at an F-Pace. I'm an example of this, in that I test drove the XC90, Q7, & Infiniti QX60, before deciding to go with the F-Pace. There is some common appeal in this category even though the cars don't match up exactly in certain aspects (2 row vs 3 row, as an example).
Yeah...I know we cross shopped the XC90. I know several others that have shopped the XC90 then ended up in a sportier SUV (X5M, Cayenne S, etc). Reviews aren't always red apples to red apples - it's ok to compare a red apple to a green apple. It's on the reader to decipher the major differences between the two (ex: Hello, if you don't realize the XC90 has a 3rd row and the F Pace doesn't, we've got a problem).

Honestly you tend to make it seem like there are no other cars in the same category as the F Pace, Trek, and it's just simply not true. You just have a very narrow field of focus in comparisons, while shoppers will generally (but not always) cross shop other models that differ as much as the F Pace and XC90 do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah...I know we cross shopped the XC90. I know several others that have shopped the XC90 then ended up in a sportier SUV (X5M, Cayenne S, etc). Reviews aren't always red apples to red apples - it's ok to compare a red apple to a green apple. It's on the reader to decipher the major differences between the two (ex: Hello, if you don't realize the XC90 has a 3rd row and the F Pace doesn't, we've got a problem).

Honestly you tend to make it seem like there are no other cars in the same category as the F Pace, Trek, and it's just simply not true. You just have a very narrow field of focus in comparisons, while shoppers will generally (but not always) cross shop other models that differ as much as the F Pace and XC90 do.
bang on....

hence this when i researched: http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/jaguar-f-pace-versus-competition/8841-suv-specs-comparison.html

there's a quote from someone wise: "read what you can, decide what you will" - jckc --> jk :):p

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You have a good point. It's just that I, personally, would never do that, I suppose. I was out to find a CUV/SUV that had outstanding performance and power, seated only five, and had bada$$ looks. So for me, the absence of any of those three things automatically eliminated an alternative vehicle, so why even shop for a vehicle lacking any of those minimum characteristics? I suppose I always have a very specific list of characteristics as a starting point. It doesn't matter what it is--computers, cars, furniture, houses, women... and I don't deviate from it.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote from the end of the article (and the beginning as well), " another win for our long-term XC90". The Volvo is obviously their favorite and it doesn't take much to read the bias in the article. I don't see them comparing the F-Pace to the Q7. The Volvo is obviously there preference and it has become their base case.

If I wrote the same article the butt ugly Vovlo that reminds me of an poorly proportioned station wagon from the 70s would lose hands down. Bet you didn't detect any bias there eh?

It all comes down to personal taste. If we didn't like different things then we would all be driving the same vehicle.

Reactions: deafsoundguy

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote from the end of the article (and the beginning as well), " another win for our long-term XC90". The Volvo is obviously their favorite and it doesn't take much to read the bias in the article. I don't see them comparing the F-Pace to the Q7. The Volvo is obviously there preference and it has become their base case.

If I wrote the same article the butt ugly Vovlo that reminds me of an poorly proportioned station wagon from the 70s would lose hands down. Bet you didn't detect any bias there eh?

It all comes down to personal taste. If we didn't like different things then we would all be driving the same vehicle.
I have always believed the Volvos look like fancy station wagons. I happen to feel the same, to some extent, about the Audi Q5 and Q7. That is why I have no hope at all that the 2018 Q5/SQ5 will be anything to wait for.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think the review of both vehicles was spot on, but I didn't even consider the XC-90 (and could have with a discount since my brother in law runs a Volvo dealership) since its not a performance SUV. Its a soccer moms SUV! Comparing the F-Pace against the XC90 just because they are SUVS is like comparing a BMW M3 against a Lexus GS just because they both are cars. Completely different vehicles with different target audiences.
Thank you. That's the point I've been making about these car reviews. You compare a BMW 535 to a Lexus GS, not a BMW M3. These reviewers do the same dumb sh*t when they compare the F-Pace. They don't match up variants very well at all or toss in totally different cars like this XC90 comparison. What's next? Generic F-Pace vs. Chevy Silverado?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
The T8 engine in the Volvo is pretty nice...and sporty...and only two tenths of a second slower than the F Pace.

Sure it's a plug in hybrid but it's not like they don't have a high power model. Just like the F Pace has low power models...

·
Registered
477 Posts
If I trade in my F-pace, I will jump on a XC90 in a heartbeat. They're not the same but ppl do cross shop both vehicles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Agreed. I was all set on either the F Pace or the GLC43 AMG, but once I started taking note of the XC90, I added that to my comparison list. You CAN compare the cars. My only concern about the Volvo is the small engine, but it has a tremendous amount of upside lacking in the F Pace (air suspension that can lift a couple inches while off roading, better tech, nicer interior quality, more cargo space). Just because one car is bigger than the other or is more sport oriented does not mean they shouldn't be compared. You could throw a Jeep Grand Cherokee into this comparison, too.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.