Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the torque rating for the lug nuts? I did 115lbs since I couldn't find the specs anywhere. I rotated my tires (X) at 5k miles. Thanks in advance.

****** Edit ******** answered my own question.... 98lbs, it's on the manual. Duh! I'll fix it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
No, that's a good question..Lots of people over tighten their nuts...that can be painful..

But I will also suggest that one should put a film of anti-seize on the hub face..This will make the wheel come loose from the hub a lot easier in the winter or any other time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Per the manual, 133 Nm (about 100 ft / lb). Also from the manual and echoing DPK's recommendation:

'Apply a small amount of grease to the bore and spigot areas of the wheel before installation. Make sure the grease does not come into contact with the vehicles braking components and the wheel stud threads.'

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My Jag Tech said 95 lbft is more than adequate for these aluminum alloy wheels...That's what mine are torqued at.

·
Registered
165 Posts
According to the online manual the torque rating is 103lb/ft (140Nm). However when I used my digital torque wrench after changing my winter wheels out, I had a couple of lugs fall off while driving (apologies if you were the one that ended up getting hit my them). I increased it to 106-108 and haven't had a problem, but this may be a calibration issue with my tool. The point is, be sure to check your lugs after driving a few miles as they are expensive to replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I find it hard to imagine the lug nuts backing off to point of falling off..Even set to 50lbft...I have never, ever seen or heard or had a lug nut coming off if it was properly fitted and torqued to setting..It simply can not happen...I venture to say a couple were lost because they were only perhaps finger tightened and not torqued at all..and/or possibly over looked or missed when you did the wheels..it is easy to do, overlook or miss a lug nut or two that is..Only other thing, the wheels where not correct for the type of lug nut used.

Over torqueing can cause more problems. Like putting too much strain on the hub and this causes brake rotor warpage or distortion, giving to Brake shimmy...And/or the lug nuts themselves get seized on the stud or stripped...

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
109 Posts
According to the online manual the torque rating is 103lb/ft (140Nm). However when I used my digital torque wrench after changing my winter wheels out, I had a couple of lugs fall off while driving (apologies if you were the one that ended up getting hit my them). I increased it to 106-108 and haven't had a problem, but this may be a calibration issue with my tool. The point is, be sure to check your lugs after driving a few miles as they are expensive to replace.
Interesting the service manual has it at 133, not that 7Nm makes much of a difference on a lug :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I find it hard to imagine the lug nuts backing off to point of falling off..Even set to 50lbft...I have never, ever seen or heard or had a lug nut coming off if it was properly fitted and torqued to setting..It simply can not happen...I venture to say a couple were lost because they were only perhaps finger tightened and not torqued at all..and/or possibly over looked or missed when you did the wheels..it is easy to do, overlook or miss a lug nut or two that is..Only other thing, the wheels where not correct for the type of lug nut used..
It was actually 2 lugs per wheel that either came off or were completely loose, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't just missed during the mounting process. These are also stock lug nuts for the OE wheels, so the parts were correct. The issue was the torque wasn't high enough. Whether this was due to the digital tool or insufficient pressure doesn't change the fact that they should all be checked after driving a few miles to ensure proper install (especially for DIYers).

·
Registered
245 Posts
I find it unlikely that many lug nuts came loose, cant call it with certainty of course but I've never heard of multiple properly tightened lug nuts coming off of each wheel. Most would consider it questionable as to the procedures when a single lug nut comes off. You are supposed to re-torque aluminum alloy wheels after 50 miles or so, it's a good idea with any wheel IMO.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Before getting new tires, I rotated my wheels (19") and used the manual value of 98ft/lbs with no issue. I checked them daily for a week and they were on nice and snug. Came off no problem a few weeks later when new tires got put on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts