Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the Oyster color interior, but worry that over time it will start to look awful especially in the high-contact areas of the seats (like the seat bottoms and side bolsters). Is it a lot more work keeping them clean (vs. a darker color that hides dirt better)? Is blue dye transfer from jeans a problem with oyster leather?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't speak to oyster, but I have the very light latte seats and they show no discoloration or wear in general after 2.5 years, I imagine the Oyster would be just as good or better in terms of wear. I do like the green stitching on the Oyster (I know a lot don't, but it's very unique).

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Yes I did it again with my 2019 SVR. In the SVR the seats aren't all Light Oyster, as they have dark brown seat bottom inserts, but I love the lighter colors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your insights. Roughly how many miles do (or did) each of you have on your long-term oyster vehicles?

@PA-FPace-F , are your seat bottoms really dark brown? I thought the 2-tone oyster SVR seat cushion inserts were "ebony" (dark charcoal gray?) but some of the natural tan (or oyster?) is visible through the seat ventilation perforations. Is that what you are describing as dark brown? (Is the background color really brown?)

·
Registered
128 Posts
In short, yes. The colour is very forgiving, and the tone still has some warmth to it (it's not a cold, sterile, grey, like so many other cars).

Still love the lime green stitching, though it has faded a bit over time (4 years now).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
While we like the lighter colors for sure, it isn't all rainbows and sprinkles... We had a considerable amount of Blue Jean transfer and ultimately settled on a Lexol product that got 90% of it out. but after 3 years of ownership you can definitely tell the drivers seat has more wear and shading than the seldom used passenger seat... I usually stick with black in my vehicles as day in and day out, it stays the best the longest and my vehicle is used 2 to 1 over her Fpace...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While we like the lighter colors for sure, it isn't all rainbows and sprinkles... We had a considerable amount of Blue Jean transfer and ultimately settled on a Lexol product that got 90% of it out. but after 3 years of ownership you can definitely tell the drivers seat has more wear and shading than the seldom used passenger seat... I usually stick with black in my vehicles as day in and day out, it stays the best the longest and my vehicle is used 2 to 1 over her Fpace...
Interesting. Do you attribute most of the darker shading to the jeans (so not wearing jeans avoids most of the problem)? Or it really a mix of factors (more use = more wear, patina, absorpotion of body oils, lotions + sunscreens, etc.)?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
#1 Factor DARK new jeans.... They give off the most dye in the first say 10 wearings. We even toyed with the Idea of a seat cover, but I'll be danged if I'm using a seat cover in an other wise upscale vehicle. I also think the grays that shade towards white show more than the tans that shade to brown. Its all into what kind of time you have to spend on it too. As soon as we noticed it, we were on it with the Lexol cleaner, then preservative and got most of it out.
If its just you or you and a significant other, don't be afraid of them if you like them. But if is a family/go thru the drive thru/dogs/carseats kind of situation, spare yourself some grief and stay with black.....

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Thank you both for your insights. Roughly how many miles do (or did) each of you have on your long-term oyster vehicles?

@PA-FPace-F , are your seat bottoms really dark brown? I thought the 2-tone oyster SVR seat cushion inserts were "ebony" (dark charcoal gray?) but some of the natural tan (or oyster?) is visible through the seat ventilation perforations. Is that what you are describing as dark brown? (Is the background color really brown?)

They are very dark brown or chocolate, Maybe Dark grey but I see more brown than grey when you look at them in person.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. Do you attribute most of the darker shading to the jeans (so not wearing jeans avoids most of the problem)? Or it really a mix of factors (more use = more wear, patina, absorpotion of body oils, lotions + sunscreens, etc.)?
I have known for years that if you have a light interior, you wash all new jeans in salt water before wearing in a light interior. I learned the hard way! The salt sets the dye.

Also, have a '11 XJL with the light tan and it looks great after 10 years and nearly 40k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am considering the Oyster color interior, but worry that over time it will start to look awful especially in the high-contact areas of the seats (like the seat bottoms and side bolsters). Is it a lot more work keeping them clean (vs. a darker color that hides dirt better)? Is blue dye transfer from jeans a problem with oyster leather?
These responses give me hope next time I purchase. I had a couple of light interior Range Rovers that were problematic and I was not driving the vehicle daily. I thought the discoloration was dirt which I scrubbed but it turned out it was denim transfer and I was actually removing the color by vigorously scrubbing! I have an SVR now with red seats. The bolsters get very dirty but they clean up ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts