Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my F-Pace at one of the hotels near Denver airport for 10 days. Upon my return, I drove 100 miles to the mountain high country with no issues. The next morning, upon startup, the amber engine warning icon stayed on. Pressing the accelerator in neutral demonstrated normal revs, but as soon as I drove the car and pressed the gas with gusto, the engine bucked and backfired. When I used the paddles to shift gears, I could slowly get up to 60mph if I kept revs above 3K. The Stevinson Jaguar dealer in Denver said it was okay to drive the car to the dealership for what they thought was a software glitch in the transmission. Driving up to the continental divide (2,000' elevation gain to 11,000' at 7 degree climb) was a challenge as the max speed I could achieve was 55mph in 5th gear. More than that and the car would buck. The 44 miles of downhill coasting was easy - no problem coasting at 80mph. At the dealership, the technician put the car on a lift and discovered a large rabbit resting beneath the engine, alive. The critter had eaten the electrical wires for several of the spark plugs, including two connectors. The car's electronics were smart enough to engage limp home mode and still provide some power. The rabbit had two wild rides, a few inches off the pavement at high speed. The rabbit was released into the woods and I got to pay $700 for some really expensive rabbit food. It seems that rabbits are a significant hazard to parked cars around Denver airport. The plastic-looking wire covers of many auto manufacturers are made from soybeans, so the rabbits attack cars in search of food. A remedy is to put peppermint oil on cotton balls and place them around the engine bay. Kudos to Jaguar for allowing my V-6 to run as a V-3.

·
F Pace Expert
2,626 Posts
Lucky rabbit and vehicle. I used to leave my 4Runner at Montrose (CO) airport for extended periods. However near end of that phase I arrived one day, got in car and when I started it all warning lights came on. Opened hood to find large pack rat nest in engine compartment. Vehicle drove fine and everything worked but main wiring harness had been chewed on in many spots. $4,500 and three months to replace wiring, paid by insurance. I have friends with rural houses in western Colorado and all those online tips about cotton balls, dryer sheets, mothballs, etc have not really worked.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Best story I've heard in a long time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts