Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience a knocking noise overhead? It sounds internal, like it's coming from the track of the moonroof or something, and i usually just hear one knock when I go over an abrupt bump or something - almost like when the car body gets torqued, something knocks. Very odd, and hard to duplicate on command.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Anyone else experience a knocking noise overhead? It sounds internal, like it's coming from the track of the moonroof or something, and i usually just hear one knock when I go over an abrupt bump or something - almost like when the car body gets torqued, something knocks. Very odd, and hard to duplicate on command.

By knocking noise do you perhaps mean creaking noise?

Check this thread for overhead creaking noises.

https://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/interior/31449-my-creaky-fpace-fixed.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's definitely a knock - a single knock. It almost sounds like hard plastic hitting hard plastic - like imagine the sound it would make if the seatbelt buckle swung and hit the inside of the B pillar.

The first time I heard it, i thought it was a golf ball rolling quickly across the back of the cargo area and hitting the inside of the lift gate.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,374 Posts
No, it's definitely a knock - a single knock. It almost sounds like hard plastic hitting hard plastic - like imagine the sound it would make if the seatbelt buckle swung and hit the inside of the B pillar.

The first time I heard it, i thought it was a golf ball rolling quickly across the back of the cargo area and hitting the inside of the lift gate.
Have you checked all the door pockets? Put your hand in there. I found a nut in one once.

Also check the spare tire area. If you have wheel locks most dealers put the lug nuts taken off back in the package in there and they always fall out.

Also check with the roof open to see if it goes away.

Last thing Check ro make sure there is not a golf ball in the back rolling around :D

DP

·
Registered
551 Posts
I get this occasionally on the driver's side but only when the roof is all the way open. Nothing when it's closed.

It's definitely coming from above, but mine sounds more like metal on metal or metal on hard plastic. I asked them to check it during my annual service in April and of course they "found nothing". Probably just looked at the track and that was it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 2021 F Pace. I’ve had the car one week and started hearing the knocking noise from the ceiling today. Have you been able to have the issue fixed?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
You might want to check your grab handle bolts and make sure they are snug. I found issues with that on my 2017. Also the track of the sunroof can become dirty and elicit some noise. May be with cleaning it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes UBNC! I have a 2021 and I hear exactly the same noise. Ive been trying to figure it out for weeks. You’re right about when the car gets torqued. Ive been trying to duplicate it by turning, braking and going over bumps but it doesn’t do it all the time. I’ve taken everything out of the car, including the spare tire. I’ve bounced the car up and down, checked for loose things underneath and tightened every bolt I can get at. I’ve had my wife drive while I’m in the back cargo space trying to hear where it’s coming from. I agree it’s in roof. If you look at the sun roof opening and go to the back edge above the rear seats and stick your fingers under the headliner and pull down slightly you’ll hear that same knock. The headliner is cloth covered cardboard and sounds like something is tapping the back of the cardboard and echoing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Add one more to the list. I have a 2021 and just started hearing the same thing. It's inconsistent, but regular...meaning I hear it a lot now, but it's not always when I go over a bump...sometimes it seems to do a small knock even when I make a turn. It's almost like it's something hard that is on a wire or cable...and so if you hit a bump it makes the noise, or if you even turn the car the weight makes it hit something. But it's a solid knock...like mentioned above, it's like it's plastic on plastic or plastic on metal...

I can tell it's going to be one of those things that probably super easy to fix, if you can just find it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’m glad other owners have the same problem. One thing I’m noticing is the knocking seems to only happen when the roof heats up from the sun. I’ll pull the car out of the garage and drive without hearing it. Then after the sun is beating on the roof it starts making the sound.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interesting...more information the better. Here's a wild guess. Maybe it's something connected to a wiring loom that when it's cold, the loom (or wires) are stiff so it doesn't move...but once it heats up the wires get more flexible and it knocks on the metal frame..... (who knows)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Has anyone been able to get any more info on the knocking sound? I’ve spent a lot of time in the back while wife was driving and I just can’t pin down the location of the sound. It’s hard to replicate the sound by starting, stopping, going over bumps and turning. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn’t.

·
Registered
2021 Jaguar F-Pace P400 R-Dynamic
51 Posts
Has anyone been able to get any more info on the knocking sound? I’ve spent a lot of time in the back while wife was driving and I just can’t pin down the location of the sound. It’s hard to replicate the sound by starting, stopping, going over bumps and turning. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn’t.
Not sure if it will fix your issue, but I was hearing a similar noise from the trunk area. After a bunch of trial and error, I was able to stop it by padding the foam insert in the trunk that contains the tools for spare tire changes.

I used some microfibre cloths to keep the entire foam unit from wobbling back and forth. I also noticed that one of the tools did not fit snuggly in the foam. I wrapped it in a cloth too and put it back in its spot.

No more noise when I go over bumps!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure if it will fix your issue, but I was hearing a similar noise from the trunk area. After a bunch of trial and error, I was able to stop it by padding the foam insert in the trunk that contains the tools for spare tire changes.

I used some microfibre clothes to keep the entire foam unit from wobbling back and forth. I also noticed that one of the tools did not fit snuggly in the foam. I wrapped it in a cloth too and put it back in its spot.

No more noise when I go over bumps!
Thanks for the tip JTR but I don’t think that’s the problem. I took everything out of the trunk including the foam insert and the knocking is still there. It’s really frustrating because I can’t do anything to cause the knocking to happen because it just doesn’t do it all the time so I can pin it down. But I’ll take a look at your suggestion again. Maybe I missed something.

·
Registered
2021 Jaguar F-Pace P400 R-Dynamic
51 Posts
JTR, I took everything out of the back that could be taken out. i drove around and nope, still doing it.☹
Bah, frustrating! I had a similar phantom noise on a Mercedes ML350 that I owned. Traded it in without figuring it out.

Try to ignore it? Meditation? Mindfulness? Yoga? ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My f pace spent over a week at the dealer. They drove the car 40 miles trying to figure out the noise. Eventually I was told the noise was from the passenger side tail light. I knew that was ridiculous as the noise clearly comes from the roof and tends to be on the driver side. Now I have a noise coming from the rear passenger side that I think is the result of the dealer doing something back there that they weren’t supposed to. I’m going to try a different dealer now as the Paul Miller dealer in Parsippany never seems to get things right (they were not able to resolve an issue I had in the past with my LR discovery). I’m hoping someone else in this post will let us know what the fix is.

·
Registered
21 F-pace SVR
114 Posts
My f pace spent over a week at the dealer. They drove the car 40 miles trying to figure out the noise. Eventually I was told the noise was from the passenger side tail light. I knew that was ridiculous as the noise clearly comes from the roof and tends to be on the driver side. Now I have a noise coming from the rear passenger side that I think is the result of the dealer doing something back there that they weren’t supposed to. I’m going to try a different dealer now as the Paul Miller dealer in Parsippany never seems to get things right (they were not able to resolve an issue I had in the past with my LR discovery). I’m hoping someone else in this post will let us know what the fix is.
Interesting you mention Paul Miller in parsippany not getting things right. I just took my 21 SVR there for the VSS update and an early oil change. They overfilled the oil and I have to call them today about that. I also have a rattle but mine seems to be coming from inside the rear center console air vents. I was going to have them check it but now I may just leave it alone as I certainly don’t want more issues. Have you tried the JLR dealer in Paramus?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting you mention Paul Miller in parsippany not getting things right. I just took my 21 SVR there for the VSS update and an early oil change. They overfilled the oil and I have to call them today about that. I also have a rattle but mine seems to be coming from inside the rear center console air vents. I was going to have them check it but now I may just leave it alone as I certainly don’t want more issues. Have you tried the JLR dealer in Paramus?
When I had issues with my LR Discovery, JLR in Princeton was able to fix them. From that point on, I never went to PM again, even though that’s only 25 minutes from me. I prefer to make the one hour trip to Princeton. I also have a squeaky noise coming from the center console, but that sounds like plastic, so I’m leaving it alone for now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
UBNC, did you ever find out what was causing the knocking sound?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts