Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with buying Key Fobs online and having them programmed through dealer? Looking to buy another key fob for my 2017 F Pace but didn’t think $500 Dealer price is worth it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,372 Posts
My dealer will not program a non factory key fob. I added a 3rd one as a back up. Also when you do get a new one to program, bring all of the fibs with you since they will all need to be re Added to the ECU

DP

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you need a 2nd key that comes programmed to the vehicle? Or just want a new cover for an existing key?

On both my keys the rubber coating was de-laminating from the plastic which drove me nuts and looked horrible. I bought some OEM key housings on e-bay for $50 and swapped the internals into them, they've been working great for a few months now.

Amazon has just the housing covers for ~$15 that are Range Rover branded/unbranded (these are Chinese knock-offs). I didn't have good luck with these as my Jaguar metal piece didn't align properly to close...so I wouldn't recommend those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most reputable locksmiths should be equipped to do the necessary programming, but it is important to have the EXACT right fob. I wouldn't recommend buying from a seller you can't speak to on the phone as it is important they can help you verify compatibility. In order for a locksmith to program the new fob to your vehicle it has to have the correct FCC ID and chipset. There will often be different FCC ID's and chipsets within the same model/year based on 'trim' and even which factory the specific VIN came out of.
It is definitely a task you can have done for significant savings over the dealership prices, but buying from a knowledgeable vendor is important to make sure you're getting the compatible hardware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts