Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was going through a drive through today and stopped and turned off the engine for about 5 minutes waiting for the food. When i tried to start the F-Pace it wouldn't start. It said key fob not recognized even though it was in my pocket while I am sitting in the driver's seat. I pulled it out of my pocket and it still did not recognize. Finally I had to open and close the tailgate and then it started. Seems to be starting ok now. Anyone had this happen? Maybe the key fob battery is low? I guess I could use the second key fob.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yes, I used to have this happen time to time. However, I haven't had it happen at all since the last software update.

When it happened to me, it wasn't like I had to do something odd to get it to start though. I did have to take the key out of my pocket and put it up against the steering column on the left side in the spot noted by the three raised lines to get it to start.

This is the spot you need to use if ever the battery in the fob dies and you have to open the car with the key in the fob.

However, I would make sure you have all of the software updates done. Mine has been fine since they were all completed.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
So, I was going through a drive through today and stopped and turned off the engine for about 5 minutes waiting for the food. When i tried to start the F-Pace it wouldn't start. It said key fob not recognized even though it was in my pocket while I am sitting in the driver's seat. I pulled it out of my pocket and it still did not recognize. Finally I had to open and close the tailgate and then it started. Seems to be starting ok now. Anyone had this happen? Maybe the key fob battery is low? I guess I could use the second key fob.
Happens but only when I have the car on and open the trunk for some reason. Its very strange.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Hey @PA-FPace-F , when did you have your latest *Update* ???

Did you get the *2.5* or *3.0* , or whatever it is up to now ???

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have 2.5, and the telematics update. According to my dealership I have the absolute latest software since I reached out to them over the last week after Jag Corporate got back to me on my Incontrol Remote App issues. I'm still having issue starting the car remotely and Jag Corp said there was a later update to fix the issue I was seeing, but when I contacted the Dealership they said they ran my config up against the available software and it said I had the latest. So I've had nothing new installed since early November. I have a feeling that Jag Corporate may have more info on this than my trusty dealerships service writer though!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I used to have this happen time to time. However, I haven't had it happen at all since the last software update.

When it happened to me, it wasn't like I had to do something odd to get it to start though. I did have to take the key out of my pocket and put it up against the steering column on the left side in the spot noted by the three raised lines to get it to start.

This is the spot you need to use if ever the battery in the fob dies and you have to open the car with the key in the fob.

However, I would make sure you have all of the software updates done. Mine has been fine since they were all completed.
I'm pretty sure i have the latest updates. Bought my F-Pace end of January and the build is 11/16. No other problems with ICTP or anything else since purchase. Strange.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Did you try putting the key on that spot on the column and it wouldn't start that way as well? If so I would get that checked out. That should work all the time. It's RFID based I believe.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you try putting the key on that spot on the column and it wouldn't start that way as well? If so I would get that checked out. That should work all the time. It's RFID based I believe.
No, I didn't know about it at the time. I will have to find it in case it happens again. Thanks!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I did some further research and I found this link about if your F-Pace does not start properly.

Jaguar Owner Information

It states "Alternatively, if the engine fails to start, the alarm system may need to be reset. To reset the alarm system, lock and unlock the vehicle. See UNLOCKING THE VEHICLE."

So I am thinking maybe I sat there long enough that the alarm set and then it wouldn't start. When I pushed the key fob to open and shut the tailgate the alarm turned off and then I was able to start the F-Pace. I'll have to try it again when I am parked in my garage or somewhere other than the fast food line!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I was wondering how upset the people behind you were.....;) of course they should have just enjoyed the extra time they had to gaze at your lovely F-Pace Leaper.

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering how upset the people behind you were.....;) of course they should have just enjoyed the extra time they had to gaze at your lovely F-Pace Leaper.
Yes, it was pretty embarrassing. The workers kept wondering when I was going to leave.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I did some experimenting tonight and I am able to duplicate it every time. What I do is start the F-Pace then turn it off. Without doing anything inside but sit in the drivers seat I sit and wait for the system to cycle down(I have ICTP) including any thing that may be running. This takes about 10 minutes. Then I try to start it and it does not recognize the fob. I can then push other buttons, door lock/unlock on armrest, open and shut door, and take the key fob out of my pocket and move it around and it does not start. If I get out of the F-Pace and move away and then get back in it then will start or if I hit a button on the key fob(lock/unlock or open hatch) then it will start. So, I am wondering if some of you could also try it to see if you have the same thing happen. I tried my second key fob and it did the same thing. The manual did reference this as a possible problem that could occur(not recognizing the fob) but this seems like a problem that could be fixed especially since it happens every time.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I spoke with JLR this morning and not a known issue so maybe it is just my F-Pace. It is strange it so reproducible. Hopefully, someone else has a chance to try it to see if they can duplicate. At least I have a workaround and the situation doesn't really happen too often. I don't really want to take it in just for this problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So, I did some experimenting tonight and I am able to duplicate it every time. What I do is start the F-Pace then turn it off. Without doing anything inside but sit in the drivers seat I sit and wait for the system to cycle down(I have ICTP) including any thing that may be running. This takes about 10 minutes. Then I try to start it and it does not recognize the fob. I can then push other buttons, door lock/unlock on armrest, open and shut door, and take the key fob out of my pocket and move it around and it does not start. If I get out of the F-Pace and move away and then get back in it then will start or if I hit a button on the key fob(lock/unlock or open hatch) then it will start. So, I am wondering if some of you could also try it to see if you have the same thing happen. I tried my second key fob and it did the same thing. The manual did reference this as a possible problem that could occur(not recognizing the fob) but this seems like a problem that could be fixed especially since it happens every time.
I think that this is intended behavior. Once the alarm/security system is turned on, the ignition itself and it's key proximity sensor is disabled. There should only be a couple ways to properly turn off the alarm/security system and unlocking via key detection while touching the underside of the handle or an appropriate key button being pressed are two (not sure if there are or even should be any others). The point being that the alarm should be shut off before ignition becomes available. The systems should be kept separate, the alarm should disable ignition and ignition should not be allowed to turn off the alarm.

I haven't seen a schematic, any design docs or anything like this; but it is how the system worked on one of my other cars and it seems logical.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Baherrick, did you try to put the key on the 3 lines on the left side of the Steering column and see if then it will start without hitting a lock button? I believe that should work since the RFID tag in the key fob will be recognized by the sensor in the column and turn off the alarm and start the car. That is my understanding.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that this is intended behavior. Once the alarm/security system is turned on, the ignition itself and it's key proximity sensor is disabled. There should only be a couple ways to properly turn off the alarm/security system and unlocking via key detection while touching the underside of the handle or an appropriate key button being pressed are two (not sure if there are or even should be any others). The point being that the alarm should be shut off before ignition becomes available. The systems should be kept separate, the alarm should disable ignition and ignition should not be allowed to turn off the alarm.

I haven't seen a schematic, any design docs or anything like this; but it is how the system worked on one of my other cars and it seems logical.
The way you explain it does sound logical but you would think the alarm wouldn't set until the key fob is away from the vehicle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Baherrick, did you try to put the key on the 3 lines on the left side of the Steering column and see if then it will start without hitting a lock button? I believe that should work since the RFID tag in the key fob will be recognized by the sensor in the column and turn off the alarm and start the car. That is my understanding.
Yes, I read your post yesterday and I tried this experiment several times and I put the key fob up to the three lines three different times and twice it worked but one time it seemed to get all confused and when I put the key fob up to the three lines it would energize like it wanted to start but still would not start.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yes, I read your post yesterday and I tried this experiment several times and I put the key fob up to the three lines three different times and twice it worked but one time it seemed to get all confused and when I put the key fob up to the three lines it would energize like it wanted to start but still would not start.
That is strange. May be worth getting your car checked out during your next service visit on this. I don't think its something you should take in just for that though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The way you explain it does sound logical but you would think the alarm wouldn't set until the key fob is away from the vehicle.
Agreed. Plus I would think that some people might feel it is necessary to not turn on the alarm in all situations.

Having said this, there probably is some battery saving thought going on here. Why power all passive systems all the time when the car is off when that are not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My biggest question is why does it arm if you never get out of the vehicle? It has a sensor to know your butt is in the driver seat....if you haven't gotten up (ie. The drive-thru situation) why would all the immobilizing the ignition happen? I can understand if you've gotten out of the car, but not if you remain seated the entire time as baherrick stated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts