Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

K444NAS1: Telematics Unit Replacement Bulletin

21K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  Dunc330 
#1 ·
Since word is starting to spread on here I am relaying a recent Topix Field Action, K444NAS1: Telematics Unit.

This is applicable to those with flaky, inconsistent 3G connection and flaky wifi connecting. It is pretty widespread across various Jaguar models. I'd recommend you get in soon if this applies to your vehicle as telematics units are going to be in high demand. This is separate and distinct from ICTP though ICTP relies on the telematics communications platform.

IMPORTANT: If your 3G and wifi work well then there is NO need to worry about this. Also, new vehicles are supposed to be checked for this and held from delivery until it's fixed though I suspect anyone receiving vehicles recently or going forward shouldn't have to worry much about it. Even though the bulletin refers only to wifi flakiness it also applies to 3G problems,

It is a relatively easy fix though as noted elsewhere I think the service folks have to be sure to put vehicle into "SERVICE" mode to vehicle doesn't think it's being stolen and chopped up.

I've had mine done and gone from incredibly annoying 3G flakiness to 100% reliability. It has made my updated - and working - ICTP very very useful. Held a good 3G connnection yesterday all the way from Denver to Breckenridge with incredibly accurate traffic data the whole way on I-70.

NOTE: This post is not in any way meant to defend, promote or otherwise shill for Jaguar ;)

--------

K444NAS1: Telematics
TECHNICAL BULLETIN

NOTE: The information in Technical Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional Technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment required to do the job properly and safely. It informs these Technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by 'do-it-yourselfers'. If you are not a Retailer, do not assume that a condition described affects your vehicle. Contact an authorized Jaguar service facility to determine whether this bulletin applies to a specific vehicle.

INFORMATION

SECTION:
415-01

SUBJECT/CONCERN:
Service Action: Telematic Control Unit

F-PACE (X761). 2017
066598-079079
Solihull
Vehicles With: Telematics

MARKETS:
NAS

CONDITION SUMMARY:

SITUATION:
An issue has been identified on certain vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range have been manufactured away from process and the Telematics Control Module (TCU) security key was not subject to an end of line test and verification. The Wi-Fi may drop out after 10 minutes and then reconnect after 3 minutes, with this cycle repeating.

ACTION:
Retailers are required to HOLD affected new vehicles that are within your control and refrain from releasing the vehicles for new vehicle sale pending completion of the Service Instruction detailed in this Technical Bulletin. Unsold vehicles should have this performed as part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) process but must have it completed prior to vehicle handover to the customer.

Affected vehicles already in the hands of customers should be updated at the next available opportunity.

See less See more
#3 ·
Would definitely ask service department about that, I recall someone else had similar and was fixed with new telematics. But, some many pieces in and out of vehicle are involved in Remote it's hard to tell.

#5 ·
May sound like a dumb question but can someone please explain "Flaky 3G" to me?

As per my other post, I seem to have a 3G signal (3G icon on) but my system says "Unable to connect (015) error"

So when you say flaky are you talking poor 3G (cellular) service (reception) or a connect error issue like what I'm experiencing?

#6 ·
The 015 error appears (at lease in my experience) to be limited to Live Apps and is a different issue than flaky 3G. If your mobile data connection is turned on but the 3G symbol at the top right of the screen periodically changes to a "C" with a line through it, then it's flaky (i.e., doesn't maintain a constant connection).

#8 ·
Can't tell if this is related to in car wifi via 3G or wifi connectivity to third party WAP, e.g. home wifi or tethered to a cell phone. I for one have a lot of problems with trying to tether to my cell, because the car seems to forget my SSID every time I turn it off. To get it to tether back to my phone, I have to reenter the password every. single. time. If this will resolve that, I'll all in.

#9 ·
My 3G issue is exactly what's described in the bulletin above to a tee. Connection stays on for about 9 or 10 minutes and then, without fail, goes out for 2 - 4 minutes. Then the cycle repeats over and over. This is certainly not acceptable performance, especially if we're paying for our data plans.

In any case, my VIN is outside of the VIN reference range in the bulletin, but my dealer nonetheless has ordered me a new telematics module. Fingers crossed that this will help the 3G performance, as as well as the Remote app. performance.

#10 ·
My main complaint is just the lack of reliability with the remote start. If that's part of this issue, I'd be very interested. But since my dealer is 2 hours away, and I'd have to convince them to send the flatbed again, I'd really want to be confident that would be fixed.

Reactions: jbedford
#11 · (Edited)
Maybe send them the bulletin and see what they say. Your remote start should work better. Maybe open case with Jaguar online or over phone to see if that gets any response from engineering folks? As I noted elsewhere remote start is tough to diagnose because there are so many moving pieces.

Have you tried remote start in a completely different geographic location, like on road trip or similar just to see if any difference! There are also some purely software telematics updates I think.

PS: also see this thread on another remote start problem siuation:

http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/313905-post44.html

Reactions: jbedford
#13 ·
I've tried different locations for Remote Start...there is no rhyme or reason...that I can figure. I'll read the other thread. I'll prolly just wait for first service to have them look at this.

#14 ·
Everyone, I've had my K444 update in place now for about 5 days and I'd like to give you guys some input on the success of this update. For me other than them not being able to get my car started after doing the update, once they figured that out things have been great. 3G is rock solid, I always have traffic, and my Live account is working great since I went into the online incontrol.jaguar.com portal and linked up my AT&T account again to the in-control account. I think with the telematics module replacement somehow that link between my AT&T account and the F-Pace VIN was lost. So if you are having 3G connectivity issues, I would definitely get into the dealer and push to get this update.

My Remote app works very well as well with this update, pretty much like it was previously. However, the Route Planner app is still a bit of a challenge. Its showing that my car is still parked on a side road I never parked it at since I opened it up on Saturday. I also can't seem to send new routes to the car, but for some reason the application can see what locations I've favorited or added (recent) from the car, even ones I added today. I've tried logging off and back on and no change, so something is wrong there. Is anyone else having issues with Route Planner in this way? I see some of you guys are having issues with remote start, but for me as I have good connectivity on the phone, I can normally start the car remotely perfectly fine. It also always has the right locations of my car as to where I last parked it. It also is very good at capturing the journeys I take and the details around the journeys like miles covered, mileage and route. Every once in a while the route is a tiny bit wonky in that is doesn't notice a corner or something and shows me driving through a field, but I'm assuming that is the car losing connectivity for a short stretch of time.

I am really interested in you guys who had the K444 update's experience with the Route Planner app. I'm using an iPhone, running iOS 10.2.1 Beta 4 (14D23) which could have an impact potentially.

In any case if you have 3G connectivity issues, go get the telematics change done. Just tell them to put it in Service mode before changing it so you don't end up with the issue my dealership had getting my car restarted!

Reactions: 11418
#15 ·
My Remote app works very well as well with this update, pretty much like it was previously. However, the Route Planner app is still a bit of a challenge. Its showing that my car is still parked on a side road I never parked it at since I opened it up on Saturday. I also can't seem to send new routes to the car, but for some reason the application can see what locations I've favorited or added (recent) from the car, even ones I added today. I've tried logging off and back on and no change, so something is wrong there. Is anyone else having issues with Route Planner in this way?
Yes I have the exact same issue with my Route Planner app. I have deleted and reinstalled it, but cannot get it to work. I have had a little better success doing it online from my computer (https://jaguar.here.com/), but often it does not sync right away even though I have a perfect 3G connection in my FP.

#17 ·
It appears, other than 1 post whose issue appear unrelated, all posters here have the "S" model. I have an R-Sport and fortunately have never experienced an issue with the route planner or remote start. This is far above my pay grade but is it possible this issue is more common on "S" model vehicles?

#18 ·
The telematics replacement, where needed, covers several jaguar vehicle lines and all f-pace models.

#20 ·
Car was in today for the 2.5 update and telematics module replacement. Dealer just called told me that, while the update was performed, apparently the new telematics unit "crashed." Now they have to get another one. I wonder if this was a defective until or if this was dealer error. So, now...I just have to wait I guess.

#21 ·
My dealer was able to quickly obtain another telematics unit after the first one they tried to install crashed. The new unit has been installed in my car, and I just picked it up.

I'm happy to report that I had a continuous 3G connection for my 25 minute drive. Not once did the connection go out. I have never had a connection last longer than 10 minutes with the original telematics unit. I will certainly monitor this over the weekend, but so far, so good.

I want to remind everyone that my VIN was NOT covered by the bulletin, but the fix - a new telematics unit - has appeared to correct the problem. If you are experiencing flaky 3G, regardless of your VIN, I would strongly suggest pushing your dealer for a new telematics unit. My dealer ordered the new unit with no questions asked because I had the same symptoms that were described in the bulletin. This was covered under warranty so I did not have to pay anything. If your dealer rejects your request or tells you that you have to pay, I would suggest contacting Jaguar customer service and push them to intervene on your behalf. There is a fix out there for your flaky 3G and we should all be entitled to the fix, regardless of VIN.

And thanks again to VZX-CO. He definitely deserves credit in pushing Jaguar for a fix and then sharing the fix when it became available.

#22 ·
After the replacement of the Telematics unit the Incontrol Remote stopped working. The Incontrol WiFi works great , Maybe the dealer forgot "reset" the account ? Anybody know the process. Going skiing this weekend might be nice use case for remote start :(

#29 ·
I am in a similar situation. They replaced the telematics module to fix my flaky 3G (which is now fixed) but the car is no longer recognized on the remote app and the SOS button stopped working. I just took my car home after two weeks at the dealer because they were not coming up with a fix. What ever happened with your issue?

#24 ·
I've found that Incontrol Remote has been less consistent remote starting the car since the telematics replacement. It will remote start the car but I find I often have to run through the drill of trying to start it multiple times before it works. I've also had the situation where the app tells me the car is started, but when I get to it, that is not the case. I usually only use remote start when leaving work, since the car is in my garage overnight. And before the telematics change it worked better but I often did have issue at work, might be something do to with the coverage around my office building. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I'm also running a beta of iOS right now and happened to load that around the same time the telematics unit was replaced. I'm hoping it is the iOS software and not something that is going to hang around for long.

All the other remote features, locking, journey recording, etc. all work fine.

#25 ·
I maybe have had to hit start again a couple of times but maybe had to do same before telematics replaced. Hard to tell. Remember also Remote app updated recently as well. I'm wondering if they got rid of need to login again in app after a few days.

#30 ·
For people that are having telematics unit related problems: flaky wifi, flaky 3G, etc. and whose 2017 is in the following VIN range there is a software fix/update:

F-PACE (X761)
066598-079079
Solihull
Vehicles With: Telematics

reference: K444NAS3 - Service Action: Telematic Control Module (TCU) Software Update

#31 ·
Reviving this old thread...I have a 2018 F Pace (Manufacture date 05/17) with ICTP and it is showing this exact problem with the flaky telematics unit. I can be sitting still with 3 bars of 3G signal strength one minute and next thing I have the "G" with the slash through it. I get the "G" quite often and since I'm on Long Island, a well built up area where I shouldn't lose my 3G connection, I think something is up. I never actually checked if there was any pattern to my losing the signal but I guess the problem exists even with some 2018's. I guess a trip to the dealer is in order. Thank goodness for these forums! A wealth of information!

#32 ·
Vague recollection of at least one other 2018 running into this issue.

#33 ·
When I start my F-Pace, it generally takes 2-3 minutes before you can use the WiFi. Therefore, no navigation and no streaming for the first 3-4 minutes. Is this normal? Is this 'flaky' wifi?

#34 ·
seems about normal, full ictp boot is around 90 seconds, telematics has to boot up, acquire signal,authenticate with data provider, talk to ictp then the actual data acquired for streaming so all that easily accounts for 3-4 minutes,

Reactions: NVA_FPACE
#35 ·
Does anyone know what JLR does these days with the K444NAS1 Telematics Unit Bulletin? When this bulletin first came out it appears that the fix was to replace the telematics unit. Can anyone still say if that is the case or did they come out with a software patch to correct this problem? After reading the various posts here about the telematics fail, I can say that this is my exact problem. I was noticing that I would be losing service but was not figuring out why this was happening as often times I would have a strong 3G signal and suddenly lose service. After reading the bulletin I did see that almost at exactly 10 minutes of up time, the unit would lose service and take several minutes to boot up and reconnect. This pattern would often times repeat itself.

#36 ·
Since that bulletin came out Jaguar has developed very detailed telematics diagnostic procedures and instructions for dealers and updated testing software. Your dealer should be able to go through those diagnostic steps to determine if you need a new unit or if it’s a software update/configuration issue. However, I wouldn’t hesitate to tell dealer you think you have same symptoms covered by that bulletin and have heard there are a few 2018’s that have needed new TM units. From personal experience, intensely annoying problem to have, don’t let them tell you it is coverage issue, once it’s fixed you’ll barely remember the annoyance.

#39 ·
a) find a different dealer
b) start a case with jaguar and complain seriously about that dealer
c) post the offending dealer’s name here so others know to avoid them

#41 ·
I think you’ve made a great decision to pick up the car and take it to another dealership service department. I would also call JLR to make a formal complaint regarding the treatment you’ve been receiving to this point.
Look at THAT !!!:nerd:

*GREAT MINDS* really do think alike !!!>:)

And at the SAME EXACT TIME !!!:eek:

#40 ·
I think you’ve made a great decision to pick up the car and take it to another dealership service department. I would also call JLR to make a formal complaint regarding the treatment you’ve been receiving to this point.

#42 ·
Made a little video this morning showing the problem after the dealer, Jaguar Great Neck, claimed that there is no problem that they could find. I am in contact with JLR about this whole issue and will see where that gets me. I'm going to wait until I hear back from JLRbefore I try another dealer. I made a you Tube video of the issue. I stated videoing after the signal was lost, shows the telematic system finding the system and hooking up and then there is 10 minutes of listening to Jimmy Buffett on the radio until almost exactly the 10 minute mark where it cuts out again. Just like the service bulletin describes for the 2017 models. My 2018 is an early build 05/17. I must say that the service department at this dealer is terrible! Like they are doing you a favor working on your car! Hope I'm allowed to post this link from You Tube of the video on the forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.