Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been car shopping for about 6 months. Basically I’m in the class of the macan, sq5, f-pace etc.

The macan turbo and jaguar f-pace s have risen to the top of my list. Been having difficulty deciding from here.

I’m comparing a 2017 f-pace s. CPO with 17k miles. In service date of October 2016. So I’d get until 10/22 for a warranty. Hard to imagine I’d rack up 100k miles by then. So a good 3.5 years of coverage.

The macan turbo is a 2015 35k miles and also CPO. That has me covered for 2 years only.

I feel like these comparisons are best to death but I’m trying to look from every angle. I’ve driven both, loved both. Each have strengths and weaknesses. I like the idea of a newer jaguar, more rare, more cargo space. The Porsche is clearly a step above the jaguar..but I’m getting an older car with more miles and less warranty coverage. And it’s safe to say maintenance and repair bills would be higher in a Porsche ?

Anybody shop these 2 and have any advice ?

·
Registered
933 Posts
The Macan likely tops the FPace in performance and fit and fitness, but otherwise it's whack. Plus it was refreshed this year. Although the refresh was mild, it will further date the 2015 model you're looking at. It's an ugly car. The only Porsche SUV I would consider is the Cayenne Coupe, although it's a step up in price from the Macan.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input. Looks are obviously subjective. I wouldn’t have the macan on my radar if I thought it was ugly. The BMW X3 m40i was a top contender for awhile. But I just don’t like the plain boxy shape..a lot of people love that suv. And for the money, I see 2019’s selling for low $50k. I was just never a bimmer fan..the engine is phenomenal though, I have to admit that. When I test drove it I was smiling ear to ear. But I always wait a few days after a test drive. Not sure how long that straight line speed fun would last.

The jaguar (comparably) was a bit rougher ride but the supercharger gives you more of that useable speed/power. The jag also handled much better than the bmw in my opinion and overall was just more fun to drive. If I bought the bmw today I prob wouldn’t be disappointed..but again, just too many of those boxy type SUVs on the road.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thank you for the input. Looks are obviously subjective. I wouldn’t have the macan on my radar if I thought it was ugly. The BMW X3 m40i was a top contender for awhile. But I just don’t like the plain boxy shape..a lot of people love that suv. And for the money, I see 2019’s selling for low $50k. I was just never a bimmer fan..the engine is phenomenal though, I have to admit that. When I test drove it I was smiling ear to ear. But I always wait a few days after a test drive. Not sure how long that straight line speed fun would last.

The jaguar (comparably) was a bit rougher ride but the supercharger gives you more of that useable speed/power. The jag also handled much better than the bmw in my opinion and overall was just more fun to drive. If I bought the bmw today I prob wouldn’t be disappointed..but again, just too many of those boxy type SUVs on the road.
I agree with you, Carmen, on the boxy SUVs. I'm getting a new car in a few months and I'm going through a similar analysis that I'll likely post about soon. I'm not a Macan fan at all (as documented in prior threads), but most on here aren't as harsh about it as I am. So consider me an outlier on this one. Ultimately, go with your gut and don't look back!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I’m comparing a 2017 f-pace s. CPO with 17k miles. In service date of October 2016. So I’d get until 10/22 for a warranty. Hard to imagine I’d rack up 100k miles by then. So a good 3.5 years of coverage.
Did they specify a 100k mile warranty? Original warranty was 5 yr/60k miles

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaguar CPO is 6 years or 100k miles (which ever comes first) from the in-service date of the vehicle. This particular car (2017 model year) has an in service date of October 2016. So I’d get 6 years from then. 10/2022.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could/should prob stretch and get a 2018 to give me one more full year of warranty. But these jaguar f-pace s are kinda rare near me. I’d be more comfortable actually going and seeing/driving the vehicle as opposed to having it shipped. I’m open to doing that, but with all the posts of creaks and squeaking I doubt that’s gonna happen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What scares me is that when I first drove the f-pace I went inside and I asked what is/isn’t covered under the CPO warranty. The gentleman said..everything besides squeaks and rattles. That’s kind of a giveaway right? After that he said everything that’s wear and tear isn’t covered. But just the fact that he mentioned squeaks and rattles right away suggests that it’s a pretty significant issue.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What scares me is that when I first drove the f-pace I went inside and I asked what is/isn’t covered under the CPO warranty. The gentleman said..everything besides squeaks and rattles. That’s kind of a giveaway right? After that he said everything that’s wear and tear isn’t covered. But just the fact that he mentioned squeaks and rattles right away suggests that it’s a pretty significant issue.
you can read a lot here about squeaks and rattles as those were originally covered under the warranty and it was just recently that they changed it to first 12 months so that is why he specified.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think they are both great cars, but you're talking to F-Pace Owners, so we all made the decision towards the F-Pace at one point. I did the similar compare earlier on the Macan and while I like the back end, I'm not a fan of the front, and the size is what took it out of my options. The Cayenne is bigger, but in my subjective opinion, uglier as well. So I went with the F-Pace in 2016 and I just did the same thing again in 2019. I'm an F-Pace fan, so my opinion would lean towards the F-Pace up front, but with that warrantee it would be a hands down decision for me even if I wasn't a fan. Fixing both of these cars will be expensive, but I can tell you the Porsche will be more so, and you have less of a warrantee with that option.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F Pace 35t R Sport
450 Posts
For me, interior space settled the question. Macan may be only a bit smaller, but that bit is everything when transporting two good-sized dogs or the wife's mobility scooter and groceries.
Also exclusivity in my locale, and looks factored in.
My '17 35t is a late '16 build. Absolutely no squeaks or rattles. And it seems those who have reported them were largely able to remedy them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I agree with those who suggest that warranty coverage tips the scale here if all other things are equal. Both of these vehicles are likely to end up in the shop at some point, and having that warranty coverage is gonna save you a lot of money.

Otherwise they are both fantastic drivers. if you could drop that PDK transmission in the F Pace...... That would be a driver........

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anybody shop these 2 and have any advice ?[/QUOTE]

Consider where you live. If you have smooth open roads get the Jag, it is so much fun. If you live in the city or in Canada stay away from the jag the ride will break you. It is stiff like the QX70 if you have driven that. The Macan is a small nimble good city car and the turbo loves the cold. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Given that you are asking the F-Pace owners here, maybe a good thought to consider would be to ask the 2017 model year owners if they have or would buy one again. I can't comment because I have a 2019 and no squeeeeks or rattles and was comparing the Volvo XC60 with it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Can you get the full service records on the F-Pace? Sadly there are a non-trivial number of lemon / buy-back / early trade in 2017 F-Paces on the secondary market. Also, has it been updated to the version 19A ICTP? Some of the early builds had persistent ICTP problems that seem to have been worked out in the latest updates, but I'd want to know that this car was not a hanger queen and/or had the latest system loaded. It is not a used car I would ever consider buying without the service records, regardless of it being a CPO or not. Just because the service visits are covered doesn't mean that having to deal with them isn't a huge PITA.

I'd be less worried about rattles, as you can get a sense of that on an extended test drive. Before you purchase, get them to agree to your taking it for a 24 hour overnight drive. They should. If they don't, refuse to buy it. Spend that drive with lots of windows up, radio off time listening for rattles / crunches / other sounds. If it's a rattlebox you'll hear it. If it's not, you won't. I'd think that if it was going to have rattle problems they'd have revealed themselves by now.

Reactions: cbrehman

·
Registered
295 Posts
I could/should prob stretch and get a 2018 to give me one more full year of warranty. But these jaguar f-pace s are kinda rare near me. I’d be more comfortable actually going and seeing/driving the vehicle as opposed to having it shipped. I’m open to doing that, but with all the posts of creaks and squeaking I doubt that’s gonna happen.
where are you located? I've considering jumping up to a SVR, and the trade-in quotes are holding me back for now. I've had no real squeaks or rattles, other than the lug nuts they left in with the spare tire. Just over 16k miles at the moment and 2 years and a couple weeks into the 5 year warranty, almost all options checked but luxury pack, tow hitch, and activity key

the macan turbo will be a considerably faster vehicle, but if cargo area is at all a concern it's not even close. The 2015 may also show it's age a bit as far as interior tech. It depends on what's most important to you though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
where are you located? I've considering jumping up to a SVR, and the trade-in quotes are holding me back for now. I've had no real squeaks or rattles, other than the lug nuts they left in with the spare tire. Just over 16k miles at the moment and 2 years and a couple weeks into the 5 year warranty, almost all options checked but luxury pack, tow hitch, and activity key

the macan turbo will be a considerably faster vehicle, but if cargo area is at all a concern it's not even close. The 2015 may also show it's age a bit as far as interior tech. It depends on what's most important to you though.
I’m in New Jersey. I keep flip flopping but right now I’m leaning towards the Porsche. I might wait a few months and save alittle more and step up into a 2016 macan turbo or 2017 macan gts. With a CPO I can get 2+ years out of a 2016 or 3+ out of the 2017.

The jaguar isn’t out of the running as of yet..I suppose if the right one came along I’d consider it. It’s prob gonna come down to a great deal rather than me waiting for a particular car. I’ll let the decision make itself for me..since I can’t decide on my own lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Given that you are asking the F-Pace owners here, maybe a good thought to consider would be to ask the 2017 model year owners if they have or would buy one again. I can't comment because I have a 2019 and no squeeeeks or rattles and was comparing the Volvo XC60 with it.
Good advice! Seems that the 2017s are the ones that squeak and rattle. Another person said to take an extensive test drive. That makes sense too

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you get the full service records on the F-Pace? Sadly there are a non-trivial number of lemon / buy-back / early trade in 2017 F-Paces on the secondary market. Also, has it been updated to the version 19A ICTP? Some of the early builds had persistent ICTP problems that seem to have been worked out in the latest updates, but I'd want to know that this car was not a hanger queen and/or had the latest system loaded. It is not a used car I would ever consider buying without the service records, regardless of it being a CPO or not. Just because the service visits are covered doesn't mean that having to deal with them isn't a huge PITA.

I'd be less worried about rattles, as you can get a sense of that on an extended test drive. Before you purchase, get them to agree to your taking it for a 24 hour overnight drive. They should. If they don't, refuse to buy it. Spend that drive with lots of windows up, radio off time listening for rattles / crunches / other sounds. If it's a rattlebox you'll hear it. If it's not, you won't. I'd think that if it was going to have rattle problems they'd have revealed themselves by now.
The particular jaguar (you can look it up-jaguar Allentown pa) it’s a dark red, only CPO f pace s.

I expressed my concerns with the salesman. Even though I don’t trust them..he did assure me and seemed very open to any info or extended test drive. He said the previous owner was meticulous about his vechiles and is a loyal customer. They were the first to get on the list for the SVR, so they traded that in. He also said the updated tech package with the larger screen is easier to update and has less of the ‘bugs’ that are complained about.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The porsche is a better made car, but it's kind of boring and there are so many.

The fpace isn't that well put together comparatively but it turns heads more and sounds better.

I was between the Macan S and my F Pace V6. I am a hockey goalie so the tiny trunk of that porsche was a deal breaker. If trunk space isn't an issue for you, both are great cars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts