Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was an early adopter of the F-Pace, purchased June 2016 and took delivery August 2016. The one thing that is becoming increasingly frustrating :mad: to me is I have to use certain verbiage to the SA in order to get a known problem fixed, ie, Radio doesn't sound right in order to get the AMP update applied. Or I'm hearing a clicking sound from the rear to get the rear spring isolators replaced. Or a rear seat creak to get the cross-bar fix.

My point is why don't they JUST DO IT?:confused::confused::confused: Why can't I take my car into the dealership and have them take care of all know problems, specially with a first production year vehicle:confused::confused::confused:. Why are JLR's instructions to dealers "If the customer complains about XYZ":confused::confused::confused: Seriously JRL, JUST DO IT! I get that not all vehicles are symptomatic, but I can assure you as an early adopter, my Cat's issues were/are identical to other early adopters. I just want to take my Cat into the dealership and get everything completed in one trip. I don't want to go back at 10,000 miles because a known issue has now surfaced - JLR JUST DO IT!

Soapbox put away, Just sayin! :mad:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sounds to me that JLR practices the “squeaky wheel gets the grease” philosophy, with a handful of service shops going above and beyond.

“Fix it/apply updates IF the customer complains” may be more efficient and cost effective for business operations, but it’s not going to help them put their rep for poor reliability behind them. Which is a shame. All in all the F-Pace is a home run, and they are allowing a collection of nits and bits to prevent it from being a walk-off grand slam.

I haven’t needed to take mine in for service yet, and can only hope I have one of the better dealerships in this regard.

And so far at least, no squeaky wheels for me. :)

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Just playing purely devil’s advocate;

1) It takes time for problems to surface as systemic problems, e.g. becoming apparent on more than one or two vehicles. Then it takes time to properly engineer a fix, develop step by step instructions, make sure replacement parts are on hand, etc. Even in the case of the early isolator cup/spring problem it wasn’t apparent on all vehicles. With software like ICTP just as complex to debug, improve, test, test roll out, train technicians, etc. What car manufacturer proactively tells every customer about every problem is the vehicle line, none.

2) Worried well; we see it all the time on here, people get all stirred up by something that may not have anything to do with their vehicle. Want to flood service centers with useless calls, post a bogus “recall” on here and see everyone get in a tizzy. Many many items are best left until annual service call when things can be batch fixed. Same for rumored improvements, are we sure there really is improved amp software, I don’t see any mention of it in Topix. To stretch an analogy in public health during something like a flu epidemic the system gets overwhelmed by the “worried well”, those who are fine or have mild symptoms but demand treatment and clog up the system.

3) Stretching the network: remember Jaguar’s system is seeing sales volumes that they haven’t had in years, with lots of new models, the entire system is under stress for good technicians, service advisors, etc.

4) Financial: somewhere along the way in the past year Tata Motors/JLR took a large charge to earnings to accrue against expected warranty issues, if they proactively solicited customers to come in and have every possible thing looked at outside of normal annual service the financial hit would be large.

5) We are a select group, most owners don’t know and don’t care. If a problem crops up they call the dealer otherwise they can remain oblivious and let things get taken care of at annual service or not at all if the issue doesn’t crop up. Also 2017 owners, particularly early ones, have had a lot more to deal with than later owners.

I could argue the other side easily and the one that gets me is ICTP updates. Do a major update every year or so once the real hiccups were solved, fold it into annual service and don’t release unless ready for all customers who request it to get it, particularly when it has a major functionality increase like text messaging. Every major ICTP update should say “should be done at annual service or other soonest opportunity the vehicle is in for other work.” I suspect some of the ICTP improvements like text messaging are driven by use of ICTP in other vehicles like the Velar.

Reactions: ExOz and Turbodog

·
Registered
114 Posts
Adding to VZX-CO's excellent response, you also have to consider the unusual market position occupied by car dealers in the US. A mix of historical and regulatory factors have put them in a position where they operate on relatively thin margins and are reasonably well insulated from competition. There are obviously exceptions; we have had some good reports on this forum about helpful service reps, and I'm sure we could come up with good reps working for other brands. Just like I'm sure there were a handful of good, hard working imperial storm troopers going above and beyond the job requirements of their death star posting. But empires gonna empire, and dealerships gonna dealership. They would freak the f out if JLR-NA instructed them to perform all possible work that each customer could possibly need at warranty rates.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Reactions: ctufieldops

·
Registered
588 Posts
My point is why don't they JUST DO IT?
Took my 20d to the dealer for their free "check fluids and wash car" flyer. Was a bit surprised that they had the list of updates and service bulletins to apply without prompting from me. Including the tie rod seals and the ICT software update.
But oddly enough they would not top up my DEF (which is at the 1k mile warning), claiming that it wasn't covered under the fluids check and that I'd have to wait until the 10k mile point for that. OK fine, I can put in $8 worth of DEF...

Reactions: bpmba and Turbodog

·
Registered
517 Posts
Do a major update every year or so once the real hiccups were solved, fold it into annual service and don’t release unless ready for all customers who request it to get it, particularly when it has a major functionality increase like text messaging. Every major ICTP update should say “should be done at annual service or other soonest opportunity the vehicle is in for other work.”

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Agree largely with all your points, and I do think JLR is doing a really good job overall. However, if nothing else they might benefit from focusing more on managing customer (and potential customer) expectations and perceptions, particularly when it comes to more significant service actions like major ICTP/ICT updates. Were they really surprised that once word was out about ICTP 3.0 that everyone wants it asap? It has fricking text messaging for crying out loud - even my wife's Tundra has that!!! ;)

I'm actually in no particular hurry for the ICTP 3.x update. I'm happy to wait for fully baked, ready for prime time releases to get improvements to functionality, even if it's no more often than annually. However, once a significant update is released and available, I would prefer not to have to beg, plead and haggle with my service advisor to get it. That type of customer service experience just doesn't help with the overall brand reputation.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Took my 20d to the dealer for their free "check fluids and wash car" flyer. Was a bit surprised that they had the list of updates and service bulletins to apply without prompting from me. Including the tie rod seals and the ICT software update.
But oddly enough they would not top up my DEF (which is at the 1k mile warning), claiming that it wasn't covered under the fluids check and that I'd have to wait until the 10k mile point for that. OK fine, I can put in $8 worth of DEF...
I received an email to bring my pace in for its 10000 fluid etc check up. When I
brought it in there were updates for chassis? And tie rod

I complained about my navi (ICT) because it would stop navigating on its own
Evidently there is an update for that, too, but the Sa wasn't aware of it

After software update, they changed my screen and I can't figure how to get it back

All info behind steering wheel. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This seems odd, since I'm nearly positive I saw somewhere (either website or manual) that you could always swing by the dealership to have the DEF topped off.....especially since they want you to use "their" brand of DEF and you would disable your engine if you let it go dry. I figured it would be easier to buy it at Walmart, but seems sad that they wouldn't do it for free while you were already there.

Perhaps this is because your dealership isn't used to diesels? I think I recall you once saying they do not have the LR side so the 20D engine is new to them.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Now I had the opposite experience. I had my 20d in for some work, and while it was there, the service manager told me the "add DEF" light came on, so they topped it up at no charge. Go figure :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts