Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back and forth between a few vehicles here I'll put my list below and as you can see I am all over the lol.

Jaguar F-Pace
Jaguar XF
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlabd
2017 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
2018 Audi Q5
2016 Audi A6

Ideally F-Pace is the best vehicle for me. It's just out of my range though by about 5k for what I really want optioned out. Dealers don't want to work at all really so I am have kind of given up on them. Even a jaguar dealer in MA has about 55+ F-Paces in stock and don't want to deal?!

So I started looking at cars which I would really rather not get after havin SUV's for the last 15yra, unless it's a challenger ;). Anyway, the XF caught my eye and it seems like a rather well/full sized car and a used 2016 model can be had it seems for about 30-40k. Seen a few really nice ones that I like with low miles and around 36-40k.

As someone who has never owned a jaguar...How is the XF line overall? I believe the 2016 year was the first year of a refresh and the car is overwhelmy rated very well in reviews, and against the competition.

I thought I read a story a couple weeks ago about cars that lose the most value after 2-3 years and a couple jaguar models were there. I want to say the XJS was listed there. $80,000 car for about 30-35k after it being only 3 years old.

Oh and lastly regarding the XF. I see a locally dealer has a 2017 XF AWD S that has a MSRP of 74k. They are offering a lease on it for $449? Is that legit? I see a few others as well in that price range leasing for slightly more. Really nice looking car and for $449 it may be worth trying Jaguar out for 3 years in it.

Sorry if the post is a long ramble here kind of rushing it, gotta get to bed and back up 4:00am.

Any info appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had an A5 ('11) and an A6 ('14). If you're doing a sedan, I would take the A6 over the XF. I test drove the XF and definitely preferred my A6's supercharged V6 over the XF's engine. I liked the exterior styling of the XF but thought the Audi was better to drive and would be more reliable. The A6 has a better interior but the XF with the ICTP has a more modern infotainment system. Keep in mind, however, that the A6 will be redesigned for MY2019, while the current XF body style will stick around for a while since it was just redesigned.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I had an A5 ('11) and an A6 ('14). If you're doing a sedan, I would take the A6 over the XF. I test drove the XF and definitely preferred my A6's supercharged V6 over the XF's engine. I liked the exterior styling of the XF but thought the Audi was better to drive and would be more reliable. The A6 has a better interior but the XF with the ICTP has a more modern infotainment system. Keep in mind, however, that the A6 will be redesigned for MY2019, while the current XF body style will stick around for a while since it was just redesigned.
A6 is supercharged? There are a ton of choices in the mid-size sedan market. The A6 is a nice choice, so is the 5 series, the GS, the E-class. The Genesis G80 is a nice cheaper alternative. All depends what you are looking for. Id recommend test driving the cars you think are nice and go from there.

·
Registered
933 Posts
A6 is supercharged? There are a ton of choices in the mid-size sedan market. The A6 is a nice choice, so is the 5 series, the GS, the E-class. The Genesis G80 is a nice cheaper alternative. All depends what you are looking for. Id recommend test driving the cars you think are nice and go from there.
Yup. Supercharged 3.0 liter. Very smooth and quick. I'm looking forward to the redesigned A6 and A7 - likely my next car after the FP.

And the tech on the E Class is insane, but the design is bland in my opinion. My coworker is going to lease a GF later this year. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yup. Supercharged 3.0 liter. Very smooth and quick. I'm looking forward to the redesigned A6 and A7 - likely my next car after the FP.

And the tech on the E Class is insane, but the design is bland in my opinion. My coworker is going to lease a GF later this year. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Aren't the new A6's turbos? I would love to drive a supercharged A6. I enjoy Audi, there just way too common around where I live and I wanted to stand out a bit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Aren't the new A6's turbos? I would love to drive a supercharged A6. I enjoy Audi, there just way too common around where I live and I wanted to stand out a bit.
I think they make a 2.0 turbo in the less expensive trims but the Premium Plus and Prestige are supercharged 3.0 liters. The "T" after 3.0 doesn't stand for turbo. It refers to "TFSI," which is what might have thrown you off. Drive one if you can, particularly one with the sports suspension and you'll like it. They are common here too, which is one of the reasons why I went with the FP.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it's classy distinct looks you're interested in, forget about the Audi's...they all look the same and are almost indistinguishable from one another. The XF is the hands-down style winner. A bit odd to cross-shop sedans, coupes and SUVs aside from perhaps matching price points. :confused: Establishing your vehicle needs may help you with narrowing down your options.

...and as mentioned, test drive everything thoroughly once you have your short list.

Good luck with your decision :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I think they make a 2.0 turbo in the less expensive trims but the Premium Plus and Prestige are supercharged 3.0 liters. The "T" after 3.0 doesn't stand for turbo. It refers to "TFSI," which is what might have thrown you off. Drive one if you can, particularly one with the sports suspension and you'll like it. They are common here too, which is one of the reasons why I went with the FP.
That is exactly what threw me off. Wow, very good to know. I swore everything Audi made were turbos so I may have to mozy on over to my local Audi dealer for a test drive. I think the A6 and S6 are really well done, very handsome and elegant but aggressive from certain angles. I really hope they don't change the design to much (like they did with the Q5).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Audis are reliable and pleasant to drive. The S6 is amazing, but will probably be out of the price range you have indicated. A6 is nice as well, but it is a larger sedan.

The XF is very nice and also a larger sedan. Comparing them, the Audi will feel sportier and faster, even if specs look similar. But the XF will definitely be less common. I love the fronts of the Jags...and prefer their styling over the Audis at this point in time. I have had XEs, XFs and even an XJ as a loaner from Jaguar...they all drive the same, but each model up is a little slower and less sporty as its pretty much the same engine on a bigger sedan. A lot of great options...if you can adopt a smaller sedan, the XEs are amazing and getting great reviews.

Best thing to do, as already mentioned, is to drive each car and compare them. The one you get into and love almost immediately is probably your best choice :).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
EagleJag, I hate to disagree, but I had a Audi Q7 with the Supercharged 6 which is in the A6 and the engine in the F-Pace is the same one in the XF, I'll take the Jag V6 over the Audi V6 every time. My Q7 which we ran up to about 60k burned through a quart of oil every 5k miles. I was told by audi that this was normal. It was ridiculous in my opinion. I also had electrical issues with the Audi and I had a axle go bad in those same 60k miles. I only have 8k on my Jag, but I believe the V6 in the Jag has a very solid service history in the XF and F-Type. I had a nice XF loaner for about 2 weeks when the body work was being done on my F-Pace and I loved it.

With that said, that is my experience. I do have friends who swear by Audi, VW, Porsche, but me no so much.

·
Registered
933 Posts
EagleJag, I hate to disagree, but I had a Audi Q7 with the Supercharged 6 which is in the A6 and the engine in the F-Pace is the same one in the XF, I'll take the Jag V6 over the Audi V6 every time. My Q7 which we ran up to about 60k burned through a quart of oil every 5k miles. I was told by audi that this was normal. It was ridiculous in my opinion. I also had electrical issues with the Audi and I had a axle go bad in those same 60k miles. I only have 8k on my Jag, but I believe the V6 in the Jag has a very solid service history in the XF and F-Type. I had a nice XF loaner for about 2 weeks when the body work was being done on my F-Pace and I loved it.

With that said, that is my experience. I do have friends who swear by Audi, VW, Porsche, but me no so much.

I had minor problems with the turbo 4 cylinder in the A5 burning through oil. It was apparently "normal" for that engine. I check my oil all the time, so it wasn't a big deal for me to add oil, but I can see how it could turn into an annoyance.

But I had a different experience than you did with the supercharged V6 in the A6. I don't recall ever having to add oil. In 6 years with two Audis, the only time I had to go into the shop (other than for oil changes) was one time when I had to have the shark fin antenna replaced on the A5. But it just goes to show you that sometimes it just comes down to luck. I had a bulletproof A6, but the guy down the block might have had a million problems with his A6. Same thing with any car I suppose.

As far as the performance of the V6 in the Jag sedan (top of the line 2016 XF) vs the Audi sedan (top of the line 2014 A6), the one thing i noticed was that the acceleration was much smoother in the Audi and it felt like more low end torque. Because of that (and advertised 0 - 60 times notwithstanding), the XF felt a little sluggish. But in reality, both had more than enough power for daily driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My ten cents worth is on the gearbox. Audi's are Volkswagens and that means DSG autos. FP's have ZF autos and that alone is enough for me to go with the Cat

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My ten cents worth is on the gearbox. Audi's are Volkswagens and that means DSG autos. FP's have ZF autos and that alone is enough for me to go with the Cat
I have vehicles with both types of transmissions, and I prefer to drive the DSG. I like the instantaneous and crisp shifts you get with the DSG. I am not aware of any issues with the wet clutch version of the DSG transmissions. If you drive one, you will be pleasantly surprised.
I just wish Jag had offered a twin clutch 8 speed transmission. Most high end manufacturers now have one available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts