Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
So I used the new app to start the F-Pace the other day. Like not having to put in my code and the use of FaceID on the iPHone, but I'm not a fan of holding the start button until the car starts. Maybe I was using it wrong but it seemed I needed to hold my finger down while the circle runs around until it completely starts. Has anyone else tried it?

·
Registered
564 Posts
So I used the new app to start the F-Pace the other day. Like not having to put in my code and the use of FaceID on the iPHone, but I'm not a fan of holding the start button until the car starts. Maybe I was using it wrong but it seemed I needed to hold my finger down while the circle runs around until it completely starts. Has anyone else tried it?
@PA-FPace-F when you're using the face ID, is that in the Jaguar Remote app itself?
I don't see that on my android version so maybe it's exclusive to iPhone, but it'd be great.
Otherwise I like the new app. Interesting as I've been using my Alexa echo in the garage for my Jaguar Remote since it came out a few weeks ago and it's worked flawlessly for everything, but not sure if it'll work with this new one? If not I'll have to keep the old app as Alexa has been amazing for locking and unlocking the car.

·
Registered
F-Pace 3.0 V6 Supercharger
12 Posts
Still only got Jaguar Remote Version 2.1.0 here in UK. No fresh version available for Android. Might be a different Version number for Apple.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,317 Posts
Happy you can fin use this. This is the app version came out last year, It was 2.0 at the time, I stated using it then, as you may remember I explained how to download it here in the US, Not sure how many of you did. The new version 2.3.2 was updated about 3 weeks ago, and released to several more countries, the US being one of them. You can remove the old version of the app as this new one is a completely new version not an update to the old one. The main new things besides Being sleeker and faster Is the useing your face to start your car. You need to put your 4 digit pin in once and select use face to unlock, then it will be available. This also works with Apple Watch that’s actually the easy way to start your car.

DP

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,317 Posts
@PA-FPace-F when you're using the face ID, is that in the Jaguar Remote app itself?
I don't see that on my android version so maybe it's exclusive to iPhone, but it'd be great.
Otherwise I like the new app. Interesting as I've been using my Alexa echo in the garage for my Jaguar Remote since it came out a few weeks ago and it's worked flawlessly for everything, but not sure if it'll work with this new one? If not I'll have to keep the old app as Alexa has been amazing for locking and unlocking the car.
I have to agree with you... Yes the Alexa app is a really cool feature. It’s sad that a private person has to create this, and not JLR.

DP

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
but I'm not a fan of holding the start button until the car starts. Maybe I was using it wrong but it seemed I needed to hold my finger down while the circle runs around until it completely starts. Has anyone else tried it?
Just tried for the first time. I just touched and released. No need for me to hold it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have to agree with you... Yes the Alexa app is a really cool feature. It’s sad that a private person has to create this, and not JLR.

DP
@DPinTX "The main new things besides Being sleeker and faster Is the useing your face to start your car. You need to put your 4 digit pin in once and select use face to unlock, then it will be available."
My question was faceID, I don't see this face unlock feature, how do you know this is available on both apple and android?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sleeker look for sure.
I'm not spotting the detailed vehicle status which was available in the previous app. I was hoping to see "def level" as one of the items (it was mentioned some time ago in the previous app release notes but never appeared in that app for me).
Can someone point me at the list of status details for the vehicle?

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,317 Posts
@DPinTX "The main new things besides Being sleeker and faster Is the useing your face to start your car. You need to put your 4 digit pin in once and select use face to unlock, then it will be available."
My question was faceID, I don't see this face unlock feature, how do you know this is available on both apple and android?
Well I know It’s available on the Apple version Because I have been using it for about a year now, you put your 4 digit pin the first time, then select use Face ID and from that point foward you just need to use your face.

DP

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,317 Posts
Just tried for the first time. I just touched and released. No need for me to hold it.
You need to Press hold down the red circle with the white fan icon long enough for the line to go around the circle ( well atleast for the iPhone version) it even say that above the button “Hold to Start Climate”

DP

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,317 Posts
Sleeker look for sure.
I'm not spotting the detailed vehicle status which was available in the previous app. I was hoping to see "def level" as one of the items (it was mentioned some time ago in the previous app release notes but never appeared in that app for me).
Can someone point me at the list of status details for the vehicle?
it’s on the bottom of the home screen says status, (Third option down) you press it and it will show any issues, if no issues then miles till next service

DP

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You need to Press hold down the red circle with the white fan icon long enough for the line to go around the circle ( well atleast for the iPhone version) it even say that above the button “Hold to Start Climate”

DP
Well, I guess I held it long enough since it started.
PA-FPace-F said he wasn’t a fan of holding the button until the car started. Just pointing out that’s not necessary.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,317 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
So there is no new version for android users?
I suspect it depends on which version of the Android OS your phone uses. When I looked for the "new" version in the Google Playstore on an OLD Galaxy phone, it did not show. OTOH, using a PC to search the Google Playstore, showed both versions that @skyking posted about. The detail for the "new" version that showed in the PC search, clearly states "Requires Android 6.0 and up".

Not at all unusual IME. For most of my apps, new versions only show up on the phone search if the Android OS on the phone supports them. Time to get a new phone?!?

FWIW

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well I know It’s available on the Apple version Because I have been using it for about a year now, you put your 4 digit pin the first time, then select use Face ID and from that point foward you just need to use your face.

DP
Yes, I realize it works on an apple. But I don't have 2 phones, just refering to android.
I've used a few times now, don't see any face ID option, too bad.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If it's not available on Android phones, these descriptions of the 2 systems could explain why (pulled from Google):
1. Apple put a lot of tech into getting Face ID to work in a way that was not only intuitive and accurate but also incredibly secure. In short, it creates a 3D map of your face by using a combination of infrared light and image capture.
2. By contrast, Android’s Trusted Face feature (formerly called Face Unlock) is nothing more than a stored picture of your face. In fact, you can fool it pretty easily with a printed picture. That's bad.
I know it works on my iPhone XS Max, maybe JLR didn't include it on Android for the above reasons.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just downloaded it from the U.S. Google Play Store to my Android phone (a Samsung Galaxy S8). It is a much cleaner interface and seems a bit faster. It integrated well with the finger print reader on my phone, which I use instead of the face unlock. For those who are having trouble finding it, I'll note that the Play Store showed me the old version of the app first, with a couple other apps next. It was the third or fourth option in the listing. You can distinguish it visually by an icon with rounded corners on a larger black / burgundy box, vs the old icon that was a smaller perfectly square black / burgundy box with sharp corners inside a larger rounded white icon.

·
Registered
586 Posts
it’s on the bottom of the home screen says status, (Third option down) you press it and it will show any issues, if no issues then miles till next service
OK, that's what I see too. Was hoping to see some current status which is not just anomalies. Oh well...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts