Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F Pace Vs Macan

I test drove the Macan and Macan S last weekend and absolutely enjoyed it, my mind was all but made up I would be ordering a Macan S. I then took a F Pace S and an R sport out for a spin and now I'm having second thoughts on ordering that Macan. The F pace put a bigger smile on my face driving around town, the throttle response felt much better than the Macan. Perhaps this is the difference between SC and turbo, in the Macan I felt I had to floor it, all or nothing, with the fpace it felt like I had power on tap at all times. GLC43 and SQ5 could be interesting if they were available.

Thinking very strongly about going with an F pace.

I currently drive a m235i and want something that is cargo capable without having to compromise on the fun factor.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Very Good Observations G-mann ! Check them All out , and Go with your Gut ! You sound like a Level Headed guy , so I am sure you will make the Best Decision that will fit Your Needs ! Good Luck and Happy Hunting !

Reactions: drdomm

·
Registered
77 Posts
When we're all shopping for this level of car, a lot of it comes down to personal preference. My wife and I wanted to have a Jaguar more than we wanted a Porsche or another Audi. We might feel differently in a couple of years (or weeks ;)).

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I test drove the Macan and Macan S last weekend and absolutely enjoyed it, my mind was all but made up I would be ordering a Macan S. I then took a F Pace S and an R sport out for a spin and now I'm having second thoughts on ordering that Macan. The F pace put a bigger smile on my face driving around town, the throttle response felt much better than the Macan.
Mic drop!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,867 Posts
Unless you have a dual set up with an super charger and a turbo charger there will always be lag in the turbo charger.

·
Banned
311 Posts
The current BMW twin turbo V8's are a "hot V" (turbos in the valley) which allows a extremely short run to the intake manifold. That in addition to a turbo for each cylinder bank ( and it being a 32 valve 4 cam V8 with variable valve timing to start with ) results in no noticeable turbo lag. Also peak stock torque of 480 lb is reached at 2000rpm. Compare that with the supercharged Jag V6 - needs 4500rpm to hit torque peak. Turbos are superior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Test drove a few more vehicles and keep circling back to the F-Pace.

Took a Corvette, M4 and GT350 out for a spin. The GT350 was my favorite but it is overkill for my needs performance wise, it did have me trying to convince myself that I could live daily with a stick.

Inching closer and closer to ordering a S in black with black pkg black wheels with tech pkg. I did tell my salesperson to be on the lookout for one.

Hoping not a big price increase for MY2018. Not sure I could stomach another 3k for my S.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Took a Corvette, M4 and GT350 out for a spin. The GT350 was my favorite but it is overkill for my needs performance wise, it did have me trying to convince myself that I could live daily with a stick.

Inching closer and closer to ordering a S in black with black pkg black wheels with tech pkg. I did tell my salesperson to be on the lookout for one.

Hoping not a big price increase for MY2018. Not sure I could stomach another 3k for my S.
Don't wait then. Or buy an F Pace 'off the lot'
No waiting

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a spec'd F Pace S due in April, but I am eagerly waiting for the 2018 details. It will kill me if there is something special about the 2018's that I want....that would mean waiting longer and probably more $$$. All in all, good problems to have!

·
Super Moderator
1,867 Posts

Took a Corvette, M4 and GT350 out for a spin.
Understand why you keep circling back but how do the above vehicles even come close to the FP? Completely different class of vehicles. They are faster, sleeker, smaller and better handling. Just curious.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You really need to get to the GTS before you have similar feel in terms of power. Even then it's not the same as the Macan, still feels weaker in traffic but it makes up for it with a stronger charge when you get into it. Realistically the Porsche is better in a number of areas, trans, interior quality, ride/handling compromise, sound, steering, etc. Much more expensive though when loaded up and with Porsche you get almost nothing for all those expensive options at resale. Then there is the tech deficit. The Porsche is well behind the latest and the car needs the refresh it will be getting soon.

For me the latter was the primary reason for a pass. Either way it was going to be my daily beater car and I like tech in my beater car. That and the fact that a Macan optioned the way I would want would put me at 115k. That's a lot of extra ching for a car I like only a little more. On the other hand if I bought in at the same 72 MSRP of my F-Pace I would have had to settle with a stripped Macan GTS which I would have liked a lot less than the F-Pace in daily driver chores. It wasn't a difficult decision for me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I too struggled with the choice between the F-Pace and the Macan. I really liked the fit and finish of the interior of the Macan but the exterior design and the technology of the F-Pace outweighed the interior of the Macan. Plus there is the exclusivity of the F-Pace. There aren't a lot of Macan's around but definitely see more than the F-Pace and this will be even more of a factor as the years go by. Only had the F-Pace for a few days but definitely feel I made the right decision.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I listened to my head AND my heart. My head told me Jag because it was significantly less expensive to get one equally loaded up. Head = money, Heart = passion. F-Pace wins on both.
Good for you! for me the heart had the much bigger say cos if it were up to the head, you wouldnt see me on this forum anymore :D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The Motortrend head to head is available through their paid subscription service, but isnt free on youtube just yet. Who do you think is going to win (try to be unbiased ;))

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Porsche will probably edge out the Jag in most performance categories, but this slight improvement in performance is insignificant outside the track and doesn't justify the extra $20-30K needed to get there. There is no dispute when it comes to looks, cargo capacity, and overall value.

Reactions: hidtawino and GRVR

·
Registered
29 Posts
F-Pace on motorTrend Head 2 head

F-pace was featured this week on MotorTrend Head2Head. Jaguar F-Pace S vs Porsche Macan GTS.

Guess who wins........... :)

F-pace of course.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Saw the trailer for it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts