Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 F- Pace and this is the second time I have gotten this warning...here is a picture.

Now the first time I had this message appear ( 69000+ km ), the dealership first fixed it via a software update but it returned within a day so I had to return and they ended up replacing a sensor which corrected the problem. The issue reappeared again after approximately 5000 km driven, let it be know, I have never used the Jag brand DEF which is ISO 22241-1 and here is a picture.

I want to know if I am causing this issue by not using a ISO 22241-1 product or is it a software issue? (Is a ISO 22241 product acceptable for use) I have been using the same product since purchasing the vehicle and below is a picture of the product in question which is a ISO 22241 certified product.

I drive quite a bit and have put 60,000 km on the vehicle in the last two years although the last 6 months I have only driven about 5,000 km

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wanted to update my post with information so perhaps it will be useful to others

This issue has happened to me on two occasions so lets speak to the first time. The issue which gave me this dash warning was caused by the diesel particulate filter being clogged which caused the sensor in the system to malfunction (I do not know why the DPF became clogged), when the sensor was replaced, this fixed the issue. The second time at 74,000 km was caused by the Diesel exhaust fluid being below the correct operating standard required. The technician and I just had a long talk and he explained ISO 22241 or ISO 22241-1 is fine as long as it is from a reputable manufacturer and indicates that ISO standard but you need to review the expire date as this fluid mixture does deteriorate over time. The other thing the tech pointed out is do not fill up your tank but rather put in smaller quantities as the liquid can have evaporation loss occur or some of the liquid can freeze if cold weather is involved which can cause the mixture to fall out of parameters and you may have your system malfunction like mine did. If you are diving a normal amount and not filling your tank to the top, using a decent DEF product, you should be fine but this happened to me during Covid 19 and my driving these last few months has been outside the norm and here I am. I hope my experience is useful to some of you in the future.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Some of what you say is relevant and some of it isn't. Shelf or vehicle life of DEF is at least a year no matter what unless you are in 90 deg+ heat continually. if you avg 75 deg or less its 2 years. If even colder, then its even longer...
Also most any def you buy will conform to current standards, but buy it from a place that moves a lot of this. I solve that by buying from WalMart using their Super tech brand. It flies off the shelves there and is always fresh. I let mine get down to 25% full or the first reminder, then just dump in another 2.5 Gal. Good for another 3-4000 miles... Dealer will put a refractometer on a sample of your def to prove its validity and correct content. They cannot prove where it came from nor does it matter. Its either good or it isn't.....
The DEF tank should have a heater to avoid freezing. Most all reputable vehicle MFG's heat the tank and lines, I assume JAG does too. I had the same error early on and a software update fixed it.... I have went 25K miles further and its never showed back up, so fingers crossed....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I just had to have my sensor replaced at 44K miles as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am driving a 2018 F-Pace 20d and the sensor was changed out at 69,000+ km (43 k miles), the tank and system flush is done now and she is purring like a kitten again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts