Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

F Pace Expert
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Registered

Super Moderator
Plans and reality are not necessarily the same but it the wave of the very near future for most/all car manufacturers.

Registered
HMMM??? My wife and I visit the grandkids down in NC with miles driven each way about 525. Right now we make it on one tankful and getting 27.5mpg.

Going 100% electric would add hours onto our trip.

Guess I'm out after 2025.

Super Moderator
EV's are never good for long trips. There is no universal plug for charging today and current technology makes it too long for a full charge.

Registered
I guess I may only be able to buy one more SVR after my 2021 gets delivered. :(

Registered
HMMM??? My wife and I visit the grandkids down in NC with miles driven each way about 525. Right now we make it on one tankful and getting 27.5mpg.

Going 100% electric would add hours onto our trip.

Guess I'm out after 2025.
I predict that by 2025 battery technology will have advanced so the minimum range would be well over 500 miles and you could get there on a full charge. Tesla鈥檚 already have ranges over 300 miles. Also one stop at a fast charge station for a 20 min coffee and rest room break could put back 30% into your batteries.

Registered
I was thinking the same about our trips up north...we live in southern Virginia and travel to northern WV to see family often, unless a LOT changes with accessibility and charging options, we鈥檒l be out as well.

Registered
My next vehicle to be purchased in about 3 years from now will be electric. Right now my F Pace purchased in July 2016 has all of 34000 kilometers or 21000 miles. I obviously will not need a new vehicle, it will just be time to get something new. Actually with the advent of the Pandemic I have been in my downtown office 6 times all year and have decided, I like working at home and primarily will make that a permanent arrangement with even less driving. This year from March to March my driving distance was all of 3000 kilometers. Even after the Pandemic subsides, I don't see a significant increase in my driving.

Electric is perfect for me. But even for the rest of you the gas motor is dying. Given the governments push for green technology which I agree with, the gas motor will become a much smaller part of the market. Never mind Jag look at GM all electric by 2035 but I predict sooner.

Technology is moving fast and battery charge times and distance capabilities are rapidly improving. Car manufacturers and governments are going all out soon, to install charging stations everywhere. Goodbye gas stations on every corner and highway interchanges and say hello to rapid charging stations.

Another factor for some of you is depreciation, I predict that sooner, rather than later depreciation will be much larger on gas vehicles with electrics depreciating less.

I am installing in my garage, a 240Volt line for charging which in my case is no small task as my garage is detached and in the back of my house. The panel of course is in the front in the basement. The electrician has to go thru my basement rafters, outside under my deck and then a trench to the garage. No small task.

You need to get ready for the coming revolution in vehicle technology. Given the driving distances for me, I doubt I will ever see a charging station other than at my house. For those that drive longer distances, rapid charging times for some vehicles coming to market soon is about 18 minutes for 80% charge.

Registered
We are upgrading both of our vehicles this year... Emphasis will be less and less on fossil fuel engines, and we want to have one more shot at great fuel engines. Well before 2025, there won't be any more investment in improving fuel engines. The next few years could be as good as gas/diesel engines get....We fully know our next choices could be severely limited petrol wise in 4-5 years... Jag FP P400 and Yukon Denali Dmax....

Also as a side bar, there was a driverless Tesla crash near us a few weeks ago, it took 6 hours and 30000 gallons of water to put out the fire from the battery. Very soon there will be a a whole different set of risks from EV crashes and I predict more fatalities. At least with fuel, as soon as the fuel burns up the fire is out.....

Reactions: JagHagJones

Registered
Electric would be better suited for the driving we typically do which is short, sub mile jaunts. It's hard on the battery on the F-Pace as I've already had it replaced under warranty once. We do occasionally take longer trips which require external infrastructure but we could rent a gas car if needed. Watching to see how the technology and infrastructure improve over the next few years.

Registered
We are upgrading both of our vehicles this year... Emphasis will be less and less on fossil fuel engines, and we want to have one more shot at great fuel engines. Well before 2025, there won't be any more investment in improving fuel engines. The next few years could be as good as gas/diesel engines get....We fully know our next choices could be severely limited petrol wise in 4-5 years... Jag FP P400 and Yukon Denali Dmax....

Also as a side bar, there was a driverless Tesla crash near us a few weeks ago, it took 6 hours and 30000 gallons of water to put out the fire from the battery. Very soon there will be a a whole different set of risks from EV crashes and I predict more fatalities. At least with fuel, as soon as the fuel burns up the fire is out.....
Self driving technology is a separate issue from Electric Vehicles although that technology is becoming more available specifically GM vehicles and recently announced by Ford. No doubt this technology will improve.

As an aside I am not a fan of Tesla SUV styling and their are quality control issues across the line. Toyota recently announced an EV SUV. Maybe not prestige but for sure will be bullet proof. Lexus can not be far behind for a more upscale vehicle although not a Jag!

Registered
I really don't understand "Driverless" technology. If I have to keep my hands on the wheel, or eyes trained on the road for it to work, I might as well drive it myself !
My idea of driverless is I read a book or watch a show and show up at a destination an hour later. When it can do that , I'll be interested....

Registered
I really don't understand "Driverless" technology. If I have to keep my hands on the wheel, or eyes trained on the road for it to work, I might as well drive it myself !
My idea of driverless is I read a book or watch a show and show up at a destination an hour later. When it can do that , I'll be interested....
I have not tried it out so I can not comment on a first hand experience. I have a friend who has a Tesla with driverless technology, so maybe I will borrow his vehicle and try it out on day, once are Pandemic lock down in Ontario is over.

Driverless technology like EV technology is in its infancy and no doubt both technologies will advance and become more reliable and popular, sooner rather than later.
It is an advancement of Driver Control Assistance which I have in my vehicle and feel safer with it.

Registered
Gas or electric or steam - I foresee us giving up one or both cars we have in our household. We both do jobs that we could do 100% remotely. My significant other is already working 100% remotely, and I am working on it. As soon as it happens - I don't see a reason why we couldn't get rid of one of the cars without little or no impact on our current lifestyle. It would still be cheaper to rent a car from time to time when we absolutely need to have two cars or just use ride-sharing services. My brother lives in the city, and once he ran his last car to the ground, he opted not even to buy one and uses Zipcar whenever he needs one. He said that he knew who'd have extra cash but still was surprised how much money he's been able to save and has not missed owning a car. The only thing he is giving up is an option to drive out of the town on a moment's notice, which he said - he did not do any of it in the last 5-6 years anyway.

The more interesting question will where the government will get money to build and maintain roads. It was easy and straightforward with gas cars - $0.184 from each gallon sold would go to maintain and build roads and bridges. More people drive, more wear and tear on roads, but more money in the budget to repair them. Electric cars are not electric choppers and still need to use roads and bridges to get from point A to point B. With more electric cars on the road, there is going to be a tipping point where gas tax won't be enough to cover the wear and tear of all the vehicles on the road.

Most charging stations don't charge a dime these days, but if they start to do that in the future, folks will only use them on long trips and fully charge their cars at home. Charging a flat road fee per vehicle may not go over very well for folks who don't drive too often but need a vehicle for one reason or another. Charging a per-mile road fee is not going to be popular either.

Registered
I agree with everything you have said. We had two vehicles actually three with a sports car I use to own but now we only have the F Pace. Most of my work is now at home, although I do maintain a downtown office for meetings and a mailing address. My wife works with me so working at home is "working out" perfectly. We have a fairly large home so lots of room for my office, storage, cabinets and stations. I made the move on April 1st after getting my house ready with hard wire internet connections and increased electrical outlets for office equipment. I am a litigator and always wanted to be near the courts in downtown Toronto. With the advent of the Pandemic, the courts in Ontario have gone virtual for most hearings, so it does not matter where I am located. The courts have now made virtual hearings permanent as of January. Even my bookkeeper and law clerk are working from home. We have a place in Vero Beach so next winter, assuming the border opens, we are planning to spend 4 months in Florida. We have already booked tickets on the Auto Train from Lorton to Sandford. About 8 hours drive from Toronto. I have an office in our place in Florida, so I can continue to work, as if I was in Toronto. My office phones are VOIP so just plug and play.

Best of all I am saving a ton of money because I no longer need a very expensive office, in downtown Toronto or monthly parking which alone was costing $400 per month. I won't tell you how much rent costs in downtown Toronto, it is very expensive. Many other lawyers are thinking the same thing when their leases are up. Already I am aware of some large law firms giving up full floors because lawyers and support staff are working at home and even meetings are now Zoom. Although they are putting on a brave face at the moment, I can bet that office tower landlords and their mortgagees are nervous about the future. What use to be very valuable real estate with very low vacancy rates in downtown Toronto and other cities may not be anymore.

We live in midtown and in a three minute walk there is shopping. In addition, in about a year an underground LRT line also a three minute walk will be operational and which will provide access to the Subway which is now a 10 minute walk. The LRT and Subway combined makes most of the city completely accessible. Only need to drive if I going to the suburbs known at the Greater Toronto Area or for heavier packages such as going to the supermarket.

That is why an EV for my next vehicle make perfect sense.

I believe we are at the start of revolutionary changes for work and personal lifestyles. The Pandemic will have a profound effect on our lives long after it no longer is a crisis, hopefully by the fall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts