Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposed to open when I swipe my foot under the left or right rear of the car. Works about 10% of the time. My dealer has not greater success. Anyone else struggling with this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is a very specific motion - make sure you aren't swiping side ways under the car. Slowly kick your foot forward and back when standing in one of the back 2 corners. it is watching for that very specific motion, not just any motion under the boot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes - I have the same problem. I have splash guards installed and dealer said that might be interfering.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I use it all the time. It works 95% of the time. Maybe something is wrong with your foot? Maybe splash guards? I know it works every time for me. A single swipe and it opens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is a very specific motion - make sure you aren't swiping side ways under the car. Slowly kick your foot forward and back when standing in one of the back 2 corners. it is watching for that very specific motion, not just any motion under the boot.
interesting...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think that it's important to watch the Monty Python sketch "silly walk".

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think that it's important to watch the Monty Python sketch "silly walk".
HAHAHA! The MP episode of "Ministry of Silly Walks" was the first MP show I had ever seen! I was wide eyed going "what the H*** is this??" From that moment I was hooked... great stuff - Michael Palin and John Cleese are the greatest! :)

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
186 Posts
Maybe something is wrong with your foot?
Are you insinuating that Eleanor has a peg leg? Because that is an awesome visual.

Reactions: JK8112

·
Registered
72 Posts
i tried a few swipes and kicks the other day, could not get it working if my life depended on it. just saw the new ford explorer commercial showcasing the same functionality and realized i've been doing it all wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We took it to our dealer but he had only had a 10 percent success rate (after denying the car had this feature at all.) I have managed only a slightly better average, still under the Mendoza line. We have kicked, swiped, and got down on our knees and begged but we still can't get the **** thing to consistently work. The Ford ad only makes me wonder how they can get it so right (or perhaps it is CGI?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had much less than a 50% success rate when we played around with the demo, and the salesman wasn't much better. Were trying to do all the right things in the right places, but it seems fickle. Maybe dirt on the sensors? I think it would annoy me too much to ever really use it. It is a cool gimmick, but opening the tailgate the "old fashioned way" (manually or with the button on the remote) has never seemed inconvenient to me anyways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have to agree, does not work all the time. It is a specific motion and it has to be in the right spot.
I think one has to be an acrobatic with good balance to get it to work. I thought the purpose of the feature was to make it easier. Imagine having your hands full and trying to balance on one leg and swipe, step back and wait for the tailgate to open!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't own or haven't ordered an F-Pace yet. I'm waiting to see what issues the F-Pace has before purchasing an S model. Here's the Jaguar video on the Gesture tailgate. I hope this isn't another issue with the F-Pace.

·
Registered
186 Posts
1. Stand beside the car, not behind it.
2. Slowly kick you leg in and out once from the side, about a foot behind the rear tire.

Worked flawlessly for me on the 2 demos I tested and I did it about 15 times.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, the key is to stand beside the car. Counter intuitive but it works.
The idea is that if you stand o the side you won't get hit by the lift gate when it opens.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
It will be interesting to see if foot size matters (me, 13) :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts