Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some references to Goggle maps but no I instructions on how to make that work. I would really appreciate getting that to work. Also, if I do use Google maps can I still use XM radio at the same time?

Rant…
For me, the navigation is the weakest feature of my 2019 F-Pace. I hate it. I hate it so much that unless Jag makes a complete functional overhaul of the Infotainment system I will not buy one again. So many people are so complimentary about the jag it seems contrary to the flow to seriously not like it. Here are a few of my complaints:

**It can’t find my town. I live in a county seat of metropolitan NY and the city does not exist in the mapping software.
**About 60% of the time, it can’t locate local businesses, parks, addresses, and medical offices that I need to travel to—outside my town since the failure rate inside my town is 100% . My spouse has a BMW which finds the exact same locations without issue.
**The voices for the navigation have a condescending tone, sound impatient when you can’t respond quickly, and have a timeout that is way too short. When driving, you can’t always respond quickly and the car should not pressure a driver for their attention to a navigation question. That ’s poor design from a safety feature.
**Calling someone on the phone is a huge chore. I want to say “call Charlie” and the phone calls a preset for Charlie. But instead, there is no way that I know of to enter a preset for calling someone. It uses my phone’s directory. I would need to enter presets on my phone which propagates to all my devices and is contrary to device security. Instead, it tells me to select one of the five Charlie’s, then which of the three mobile numbers for the selected Charlie, and if I haven’t totally given up through sheer frustration , completes my call.
**It always asks for a house number no matter where I am going. What’s with that?
**I hate having to pull over and entering the info into my iPad because my 75,000 jag cannot find a grocery store.
**I hate having to use a computer to download software updates onto a USB to update my mapping software in a car with a satellite system. What genius designed that!?

I have to think that this car’s navigation system was designed by a homogeneous team who did not themselves have to use a navigation system nor the imput from a variety of people who do. It’s one of the worst designed nav query systems I have ever seen.

Why not put something totally functional and well thought out, like Google maps as the default map/navigation souce?

Rant Complete. Assistance appreciated.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Run CarPlay or Android Auto and you'll be able to make Google Maps the default. That is what I do and Google Maps is always my navigation system. That is the only option to run Google as your background navigation system. So you'll need CarPlay or Android Auto. ICTP and PiviPro cars have those options directly from Jag. ICT cars, you'll need to get something aftermarket to be able to run them. If you have physical buttons on the right and left sides of your navi screen, you have ICT. If your navi screen is button free you either have ICT or PiviPro. Pivi is only available in the 2021s and later when they get released.

Reactions: JJag

·
Registered
22 Posts
is there a possibility to get GoogleMaps / AndroidAuto notification on the HUD or the digital cluster?
I miss this feature while driving with google maps. The OEM Navigation is why worse, but the HUD information und Cluster map is a big advantage.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I've looked around and so far there is no way, that I'm aware of, to get Google Maps on the HUD. Eventhough, you can leverage Google Maps via CarPlay for Navigation none of the CarPlay Navi apps or Perhaps even Android Auto Apps, can we leveraged on the HUD. Maybe someone else may have figured it out, but so far no deal there. You can leverage CarPlay though and get Google Maps for Navigation if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
is there a possibility to get GoogleMaps / AndroidAuto notification on the HUD or the digital cluster?
I miss this feature while driving with google maps. The OEM Navigation is why worse, but the HUD information und Cluster map is a big advantage.
No.
It is possible, but JLR has not enabled this feature:
"Apple’s iOS 13 software update featured improvements to the CarPlay including dual-display or split-screen support. This means that you can now use Apple CarPlay navigation on both the infotainment touchscreen and on the digital instrument cluster. It allows turn-by-turn navigational instructions to be flashed on both screens (infotainment touchscreen and digital instrument cluster) at the same time."
I think some BMW and VW models currently have this capability.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Skyking,

You are a wealth of information. I will begin to put leverage on Jaguar to see if they will enable this (I wonder how far that will go!). I would like to have my Google Maps turns and such to appear in the HUD!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw some references to Goggle maps but no I instructions on how to make that work. I would really appreciate getting that to work. Also, if I do use Google maps can I still use XM radio at the same time?

Rant…
For me, the navigation is the weakest feature of my 2019 F-Pace. I hate it. I hate it so much that unless Jag makes a complete functional overhaul of the Infotainment system I will not buy one again. So many people are so complimentary about the jag it seems contrary to the flow to seriously not like it. Here are a few of my complaints:

**It can’t find my town. I live in a county seat of metropolitan NY and the city does not exist in the mapping software.
**About 60% of the time, it can’t locate local businesses, parks, addresses, and medical offices that I need to travel to—outside my town since the failure rate inside my town is 100% . My spouse has a BMW which finds the exact same locations without issue.
**The voices for the navigation have a condescending tone, sound impatient when you can’t respond quickly, and have a timeout that is way too short. When driving, you can’t always respond quickly and the car should not pressure a driver for their attention to a navigation question. That ’s poor design from a safety feature.
**Calling someone on the phone is a huge chore. I want to say “call Charlie” and the phone calls a preset for Charlie. But instead, there is no way that I know of to enter a preset for calling someone. It uses my phone’s directory. I would need to enter presets on my phone which propagates to all my devices and is contrary to device security. Instead, it tells me to select one of the five Charlie’s, then which of the three mobile numbers for the selected Charlie, and if I haven’t totally given up through sheer frustration , completes my call.
**It always asks for a house number no matter where I am going. What’s with that?
**I hate having to pull over and entering the info into my iPad because my 75,000 jag cannot find a grocery store.
**I hate having to use a computer to download software updates onto a USB to update my mapping software in a car with a satellite system. What genius designed that!?

I have to think that this car’s navigation system was designed by a homogeneous team who did not themselves have to use a navigation system nor the imput from a variety of people who do. It’s one of the worst designed nav query systems I have ever seen.

Why not put something totally functional and well thought out, like Google maps as the default map/navigation souce?

Wow! This is, without a doubt, one of the best descriptive posts I've seen yet outlining the drawbacks of the ICTP navigation system. If JLR's RnD "geniuss'" aren't proactively monitoring this forum, heads should be rolling. Strangely, the nav system is clearly an impediment to an otherwise superb vehicle. An excellent and much needed 'rant', Mate.

·
F Pace Expert
2,544 Posts
because then Google owns all the data acquired by your entire customer car fleet in the field and a ton of important information not only on navigation, vehicle operation, driving habits and a million other things to feed into its monster AI. You never even see the data go by. If you're a car company you are scared witless this will help obsolete you even faster as AI and massive data streams from the roving computer platforms called cars becomes ever more important towards the fully autonomous vehicles of the future. my guess anyways.

·
F Pace Expert
2,544 Posts

Rant…

Also, regarding the navigation and other points above:
1) Do you have a data connection for your system enabled via a cell system SIM card? A bit of what you are concerned about might be a lack of data connection giving real time lookup info versus the static data in the mapping database onboard.
2) Have you tried looking for your town/destinations in the online route planning web site just to see it's there: InControl Route Planner – Home (here.com)
3) Do you use CarPlay? Would solve a lot of your calling someone on the phone issues.
4) The mapping update via USB stick is really the fault of their underlying mapping vendor - HERE.COM but is annoying. Those map files are huge and until advent of 5G recently or what 5G will purportedly deliver - probably were not realistically deliverable over cell network.
5) Regarding integrating Google or Apple Maps with HUD as others have said, no. I've seen this covered recently in some reviews of other vehicles with HUD and reviewers lamenting can't integrate popular mapping apps with HUD. So isn't limited to Jaguar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts