Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a used Fpace. Is it worth it? I am not rich by any means, so I am curious how reliable these cars can be? I suppose I have always heard if you have to ask you probably shouldn't own one. I just don't want to get one of these, and end up with 1k+ repairs/maintenance 4 times a year. Anything I read about these SUVs is such a mixed bag. Help me please! :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am considering purchasing a used Fpace. Is it worth it? I am not rich by any means, so I am curious how reliable these cars can be? I suppose I have always heard if you have to ask you probably shouldn't own one. I just don't want to get one of these, and end up with 1k+ repairs/maintenance 4 times a year. Anything I read about these SUVs is such a mixed bag. Help me please! :)
Here's my anecdotal impressions, for what they're worth. I've owned my F-Pace for 2.5 years now. I purchased it new and ordered it to spec from the factory. It's my first Jag. My prior luxury cars have been BMWs (2 different cars from the 3 series; a couple and a convertible) or Audis (a TT and an A3 convertible). My wife has had an Acura, and now has an Infiniti. The Acura was the most reliable car in that group. One service visit in seven years that wasn't regular maintenance. The Infiniti was next -- it's had two minor service issues in six years. Both my first BMW and my Audi TT were also quite reliable, with only two or three minor service issues in the five years I owned each. I only had the Audit A3 for about 2.5 years, but it had two electrical-related maintenance problems, so it falls below those. My 2008 BMW 335i convertible was the worst car I've ever owned. It was in the shop 11 times in two years for a carnival of problems.

From a reliability perspective, I'd put the F-Pace behind all our other cars except for the snake-bit 335, but only very slightly behind the A3. The F-Pace hasn't ever left me stranded, but it's had an engine solenoid fail, a water pump fail, and has had infotainment system hiccups which seem par for the course. I love it as my daily driver, but I'm not going to own it for a single minute after the warranty expires -- I just don't trust something super expensive not to fail, and after five years of driving it I know I'll be ready for something new.

In terms of buying a used one, if you can get a low mileage certified pre-owned one coming off a two year lease (such that you can get a meaningful factory warranty period on it), and you can get all the service records to confirm it hasn't been a problem car, then it could well be worth the investment given how much they depreciate in value in the first two years. But I personally would not buy one that's more than two or three years old, or one for which you can't get a clear picture of the service history. There's too many anecdotes of hangar queen units out there, replete with rattles, failed infotainment head units, and the like. You don't know whether the person sold it because of those problems, or because they just wanted a new car. And the downside risks are large.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my anecdotal impressions, for what they're worth. I've owned my F-Pace for 2.5 years now. I purchased it new and ordered it to spec from the factory. It's my first Jag. My prior luxury cars have been BMWs (2 different cars from the 3 series; a couple and a convertible) or Audis (a TT and an A3 convertible). My wife has had an Acura, and now has an Infiniti. The Acura was the most reliable car in that group. One service visit in seven years that wasn't regular maintenance. The Infiniti was next -- it's had two minor service issues in six years. Both my first BMW and my Audi TT were also quite reliable, with only two or three minor service issues in the five years I owned each. I only had the Audit A3 for about 2.5 years, but it had two electrical-related maintenance problems, so it falls below those. My 2008 BMW 335i convertible was the worst car I've ever owned. It was in the shop 11 times in two years for a carnival of problems.

From a reliability perspective, I'd put the F-Pace behind all our other cars except for the snake-bit 335, but only very slightly behind the A3. The F-Pace hasn't ever left me stranded, but it's had an engine solenoid fail, a water pump fail, and has had infotainment system hiccups which seem par for the course. I love it as my daily driver, but I'm not going to own it for a single minute after the warranty expires -- I just don't trust something super expensive not to fail, and after five years of driving it I know I'll be ready for something new.

In terms of buying a used one, if you can get a low mileage certified pre-owned one coming off a two year lease (such that you can get a meaningful factory warranty period on it), and you can get all the service records to confirm it hasn't been a problem car, then it could well be worth the investment given how much they depreciate in value in the first two years. But I personally would not buy one that's more than two or three years old, or one for which you can't get a clear picture of the service history. There's too many anecdotes of hangar queen units out there, replete with rattles, failed infotainment head units, and the like. You don't know whether the person sold it because of those problems, or because they just wanted a new car. And the downside risks are large.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! I currently have the Lexus RC350 which I adore. But the fact that this car has different size front/back tires has caused me more problems than I like during these Covid times. I want a compact SUV with a V6 and finding smaller SUVs with that spec is annoying. Sure wish I could afford a Macan. Thanks again kind Sir. Happy Friday!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
KL00, it depends on your roll of the dice. There are many out here who have had their F-Paces for some time with only routine maintenance visits and there are others who want Jag to take their car back after 10k miles due to the issues they have seen. My 2017 was in the shop quite a few times for non-maintenance issues. However, I loved it so much I bought a 2019 F-Pace SVR. The SVR has primarily only seen routine maintenance other than a sensor replacement during a routine oil change. I loved both cars, as they are the best fun to drive SUVs out there. But buying used will totally depend on the car, it's a roll of the dice somewhat. I would look at the maintenance history and service history if you could. if you can buy a certified pre-owned that would be another route to get some warrantee coverage you might need.

I probably wouldn't touch a 2017 unless you found a cert pre owned.

it's important to point out that you could go wrong with pretty much any purchase. I've owned Hondas, Acuras, Infinities, BMWs, Fords, Jaguars and so on, and I've had good cars and band. it's pretty much the roll of the dice buying used. You could get a solid F-Pace and have no issues, you could also buy an Acrua and have many issues. However, the chance of you buying an Acura and having issues is much less than a jaguar.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love this car (MY 18). However, wouldn’t buy one without a warranty. I had a number of issues that needed to be ironed out in the first year. But after that - it’s been great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought our 2020 Fpace in June. Already been back to the shop twice! (Currently waiting for yet another repair) shop around, many better options out there, this will be our last Jag! Too much money to spend taking it back constantly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts