Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, considering purchasing an F-Pace and am looking for some advice/wisdom from all of you.I test drove both a diesel and petrol F-Pace V6 S last weekend and was hugely impressed by the styling, practicality, ride and handling of the car. However, as has been discussed at length in other threads here and elsewhere, I was pretty disappointed with the overall quality of the F-Pace's interior materials and some elements of the build quality given the price. Whilst I don't want to reignite the ubiquitous debate about the relative merits of the F-Pace vs its competitors, my question to the forum is whether any members have made attempts to upgrade the interiors of their F-Paces and if so how successful, expensive etc. they have been? I am thinking about everything from retrofitting damping to the F-Pace's glove compartment and flimsy armrest, to fitting metal mesh speaker covers and re-trimming some of the hard plastic trims in leather or other materials. I think that on balance, the F-Pace will be my sporting SUV of choice compared to similar offerings from Porsche, Merc, Volvo etc. but the decision to buy will be made much easier if I know that there are some viable options to spruce up the interior at the cost of a few thousand £$ or so. I am able to get a discount from my dealer, so this would offset an outlay of 5-6 grand or so on interior upgrades. Thanks very much in advance for your advice, thoughts and comments.

·
Administrator
1,974 Posts
I don't think you will find many (if any) who have made any of the mods you are referring to. I would suggest you look under Modifications and Customization section or Interior section of the forum to see what others have done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MKenM, I've had a look through the M&C forum and gleaned a few ideas (gjschwartzman's alcantara visors are particularly good). For the wider forum's awareness, I've been in contact with JLR SVO, Arden and Startech. SVO won't do any bespoke interior work, surprisingly. Adren and Startech sent the following replies: STARTECH: "For carrying out the leather trim we would need your vehicle here at our factory in Germany. Usually this upholstery work will take 3 weeks' time and the price would be €9.950,0 for all seats, dashboard and door panels. The leather colour and stitching is your choice. Just for your information we do have access to the original JLR leather." ARDEN: "Changing the leather for the front and back seats, the headrests, the covering for all 4 door panels, the dashboard according to your wishes would be approx. 5,500.00 Euro + VAT. The exact amount can be calculated when we know your exact wishes. The conversion will take between 3 to 4 weeks." So, not cheap (and given that it has to be done in Germany, probably not much use for US owners!) but given the customisation options in terms of materials, quilting, stitching etc. I think it seems like a pretty good option to significantly lift the F-Pace's interior. Perhaps incorporating something similar to the new textile materials from the new RR Velar could look and feel really good. Not sure yet if they can do things like manufacture metal speaker covers though. Looking online at previous examples of their work, the quality looks good (the XK interior Startech shows looks amazing). The bigger Arden exhaust tips for the V6 engines look pretty cool as well. Hope this is useful, and would be interested in people's thoughts, particularly if such mods would likely affect the car's warranty. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Actually, most of us are quite pleased with the interior. Speaking as someone with a First Edition, I LOVE the interior. The only flaw that I can see is the center armrest. It should be thickly padded with quality leather instead of onion-skin thin leather something over a hard board. That is the only upgrade I would seek.

The ICTP interior is outstanding. Love the digital screens instead of old-fashioned analog gauges. The F-Pace interior is like minimalist art--sleek, uncluttered, sophisticated, and modern. There may be a few like yourself who don't care for it, but most of us love which is why we bought it. I have to believe that because, personally, I would never buy a car with an exterior or interior that I wasn't impressed with. I don't care how it drives. I don't think very many other people would either.

Perhaps an Infiniti QX70, an Audi, or a Porsche SUV with all the buttons, and circle things around the gauges is better for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am thinking of having the headrests redone - they push forward a little to aggressively and don't tilt as in some other cars.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I am thinking of having the headrests redone - they push forward a little to aggressively and don't tilt as in some other cars.
There was a thread on this topic, but most of us have found the headrests to be perfectly angled. A few complaints about insufficient padding but only one about the angle. What is your variant? I have noticed from interior photos which show the less expensive variants have headrests that sit differently than the more expensive variants.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
There was a thread on this topic, but most of us have found the headrests to be perfectly angled. A few complaints about insufficient padding but only one about the angle. What is your variant? I have noticed from interior photos which show the less expensive variants have headrests that sit differently than the more expensive variants. The headrests on the latter drop down into a recessed space; the less expensive variants do not. Perhaps that difference could affect the angle?

I have an S/FE model and find the headrests are perfect for my seating position. Another factor could be the angle of your seat back. Some drivers prefer a more forward angle, others a slight lean back. If you prefer a backwards lean to your seat back, the headrest will be further away. If you prefer a perfect 90 degree seat angle, the headrest will be closer and possibly less comfortable. I tend to tilt my seatback backwards a bit. The result is a headrest that is never too far forward, but this position is comfortable for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts