Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure it is nothing, but I found it interesting that I got a warning today: "Low Battery, Please Start Engine"

This was after FINALLY getting into the FP in the garage and moving it out after 23 days of no use. I get the telematics thing, going into sleep mode after four days of not driving the FP, but a bit surprised that I would get the low battery warning in just over three weeks. Garaged, very mild to hot temps, nothing left on. I guess I wonder if a battery tender is in order if it is to sit for a month or more.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I am sure it is nothing, but I found it interesting that I got a warning today: "Low Battery, Please Start Engine"

This was after FINALLY getting into the FP in the garage and moving it out after 23 days of no use. I get the telematics thing, going into sleep mode after four days of not driving the FP, but a bit surprised that I would get the low battery warning in just over three weeks. Garaged, very mild to hot temps, nothing left on. I guess I wonder if a battery tender is in order if it is to sit for a month or more.
Sure no one kept on accidentally bumping the handle or anything? This initiates start up. Thats very strange that you'd get a low battery warning if nothing was left on or the start up wasn't initiated.

A little off topic, but does anyone know why the LED headlight beam pattern seems to project further on the right headlight than it does on the left?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I would lose it if I couldn't drive my F-Pace for 23 days. Someone would have to jump me to get me started again. That is a bit strange, but with all the electronics and the telematics, I'm not surprised. Going up to the storage time, did you also do a lot of short trips or perhaps run the radio for a while which the engine on?

·
Super Moderator
1,896 Posts
The DOT dictates the pattern for light dispersion on vehicles. You will always get more to the right than the left in the US to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I think it would be the reverse in countries where they drive on the left side of the road.

As far as the battery almost going dead on you that is typical for many of the new cars that are left unattended for longer periods of time (those with a lot of electronics). On my Corvette the battery will drain itself in 3 - 5 weeks. That's why I use a battery tender. The computers in the car for the most part never go to sleep and if they do they are still not entirely off. They need to know when to wake up.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The DOT dictates the pattern for light dispersion on vehicles. You will always get more to the right than the left in the US to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I think it would be the reverse in countries where they drive on the left side of the road.

As far as the battery almost going dead on you that is typical for many of the new cars that are left unattended for longer periods of time (those with a lot of electronics). On my Corvette the battery will drain itself in 3 - 5 weeks. That's why I use a battery tender. The computers in the car for the most part never go to sleep and if they do they are still not entirely off. They need to know when to wake up.
Ah, is that why in the instrument cluster>vehicle settings menu they ask if you drive on left or right? As for the battery, do you think the car would actually allow itself to completely die? Or, when it gets to a certain level it wouldn't fall any lower?

·
Super Moderator
1,896 Posts
Good question, I've learned that putting a volt meter across a car battery may always tell you that it has 12 volts, the problem is does it have the amperage to crank the engine. My guess is the system can't always be testing to see what sort of load the battery has on it so I would guess that the battery would just not have the capacity to start the engine. That might be 4 weeks or more but it happens frequent enough (from what I've heard on the Corvette forum) that it is a good idea to have a battery tender available if you won't be driving your vehicle for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure the keyfob is not within few feet (I think I heard the dealer say 2-3 feet) of the car. It apparently keep the car checking the keys often and drains the battery. I would also check if there is a device plugged into the USB.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Make sure the keyfob is not within few feet (I think I heard the dealer say 2-3 feet) of the car. It apparently keep the car checking the keys often and drains the battery. I would also check if there is a device plugged into the USB.
My Lexus dealer once told me that a smartphone can drain the battery of the key fob... why or how, I dont know but thats what they told me.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
I finally got the low battery warning when starting up my F Pace after it sat for three weeks while I was travelling. Started and ran fine though. Just last week I put a kill switch on my 4 Runner battery because it was being drained by the aftermarket Pioneer entertainment system I have in it while it sits in the Montrose, CO airport parking lot where it lives when I'm not using it. I know I can't do same for F Pace so guess I'm just gonna have to drive it more.

·
Super Moderator
1,896 Posts
Not sure I would put a kill switch on the FP. Since there are so many CPU's in the car the question becomes are all the presets and settings in RAM or ROM. Might loos a lot of info if it is the wrong location.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My storage place disconnects the battery while overseas and few settings are lost from it. You do have to reconnect to some of the services though which means you're going to have to come up with some passwords. As to lost batt it's not unusual to have this problem after sitting for extended periods. Some cars are notorious for it, late model Porsche's, some BMWs, Corvettes, Merc, etc. What can be really irritating is if you have batteries that have to be reinitialized by the dealer to the tune of 400 dollars, an example would be my E92. IMO far and away the best way to deal with downtime (if possible) is to hook up a high quality battery tender. They're not expensive and it just takes a minute to hook up before you put the car away. When you get back everything works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts