Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am not very much into that stuff and have read the Information given on the HP without understanding properly, I hope there is someone out there to answer the following question:
If I have the "big" InControl Touch Pro with the Incontrol Connect Package, do I need a seperate SIM Card for the F-PACE or is it enough to connect IPhone and F-PACE via Bluetooth and what is the difference between SIM Card and Bluetooth-Connection? Maybe not all functions without own SIM Card???
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have all the answers here but it seems the separate sim is not related to connecting your phone via Bluetooth for calls etc but more to do with the the car itself and I think related to wifi. As an example I know with incontrol pro the car can connect to your home wifi and automatically update its firmware etc.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
What if the F-Pace comes with its own 3G WiFi? It's and option and standard on the FE. Can if update its firmware by itself then?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hopefully I can answer what you need. The SIM card is used to connect the Car to a cellular network. In the US, Jaguar uses AT&T so a SIM card compatible with AT&T will be used to connect the car to the Internet, just like your phone needs a SIM card, otherwise your phone wouldn't register to a cellular network. This feature is needed in order to be able to do anything remotely with the car, like unlocking/locking, remote starting and etc., from the Jaguar phone app. In order to use incontrol wifi, you'll need the SIM card.

The Bluetooth feature is not related to the SIM card. The Bluetooth protocol is used to connect your phone to the car (must be writhing a certain range of car). This allows you to make phone calls, export contacts to the car and play music wirelessly from your phone through the car.

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Done some more research, the data enabled sim allows the car and apps on incontrol to have access to the Internet when you are outside range of your home WiFi network.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I order to use the InControl Apps do we need to get the Technology Pack ?
(I don't think so but just want to confirm my assumption)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Scar1978,

You don't need the tech pack for InControl apps. They are available on the smaller screen as well (as you can see in the Evoque, etc.).

You do need the SIM to connect the car directly to the mobile network to support in InControl connect pro services like live traffic, eta sharing, satellite view, etc.. There are some ways around this however. Depending on your phone, you can turn it into a wifi hotspot, then use the car's wifi to connect to your phone and treat it like a home network, pulling data that way. Not ideal, as you would have to switch your phone to wifi hotspot mode each time you got in the car, and the performance may not be great, but it is possible. Not this is all done via wifi hotspots, and is totally separate from Bluetooth. The car only uses Bluetooth for streaming audio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is the online handbook, great for researching how features work before we get our cars :)

Jaguar Owner Information

Its UK but there must be a US version...

·
Registered
21 Posts
So in order to use the remote car starter feature you need to be either connected to WiFi or through a SIM card?

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
186 Posts
Correct. It is part of "remote premium" which requires InControl connect (internet connection). It is done via the phone over the Internet to the car so the car has to be connected to the Internet somehow ;) . It isn't done via a radio frequency key fob like old school remote car starters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Correct. It is part of "remote premium" which requires InControl connect (internet connection). It is done via the phone over the Internet to the car so the car has to be connected to the Internet somehow ;) . It isn't done via a radio frequency key fob like old school remote car starters.
So, can you do this without InControl Pro, on the "small screen" cars? The dealer I went to told me "yes".

·
Registered
477 Posts
Correct. It is part of "remote premium" which requires InControl connect (internet connection). It is done via the phone over the Internet to the car so the car has to be connected to the Internet somehow
. It isn't done via a radio frequency key fob like old school remote car starters.
So, can you do this without InControl Pro, on the "small screen" cars? The dealer I went to told me "yes".
Yes

·
Registered
77 Posts
After some research, I found out that you then have to subscribe to the AT&T data plan to have any of the remote features. I can't seem to find out how much that costs, but I know it was $30/mo. on my Audi.

I found this on Jag's website. It seems to imply that if you get InControl Pro you have "connectivity" for the period of the warranty...5 years, right? For the $3100 Tech Pack, that's about $50/mo. on a 60 month finance.

"For clarity, the End Date of any InControl Services that require connectivity to operate (including Live Features, Wi-Fi Hotspot functionality and browser) shall be the day on which your Trial Plan expires, unless you contract directly with the Network Provider for a Data Plan for your Vehicle in which case any InControl Services requiring connectivity shall continue to operate for as long as you have an active Data Plan. In the case of “SOS Emergency Call”, “Optimised Jaguar Assistance”, and “Stolen Vehicle Locator”, the End Date is shown on the My Jaguar InControl website. Connectivity for the InControl Pro Features is provided to you for the duration of the warranty of your Vehicle, the expiration of which shall constitute the End Date for the InControl Pro Features."

FWIW, I find no clarity in any of this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
After some research, I found out that you then have to subscribe to the AT&T data plan to have any of the remote features. I can't seem to find out how much that costs, but I know it was $30/mo. on my Audi.

I found this on Jag's website. It seems to imply that if you get InControl Pro you have "connectivity" for the period of the warranty...5 years, right? For the $3100 Tech Pack, that's about $50/mo. on a 60 month finance.

"For clarity, the End Date of any InControl Services that require connectivity to operate (including Live Features, Wi-Fi Hotspot functionality and browser) shall be the day on which your Trial Plan expires, unless you contract directly with the Network Provider for a Data Plan for your Vehicle in which case any InControl Services requiring connectivity shall continue to operate for as long as you have an active Data Plan. In the case of ?SOS Emergency Call?, ?Optimised Jaguar Assistance?, and ?Stolen Vehicle Locator?, the End Date is shown on the My Jaguar InControl website. Connectivity for the InControl Pro Features is provided to you for the duration of the warranty of your Vehicle, the expiration of which shall constitute the End Date for the InControl Pro Features."

FWIW, I find no clarity in any of this.
from my understanding, it is included and you get it for the 5 year period. My wife's Tahoe is configured the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone having problems getting their SIM card activated by the dealership? I picked up my new F-Pace on May 16th and they still haven't been able to activate the SIM card. They are blaming it on the new VIN numbers that begin with "SADC" which apparently AT&T wasn't ready for. Any one know of this issue and if there is any work around?

The Real Time Traffic Flow, etc. isn't working because of this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wait...what?

This means that the car's cell connection is always powered and active, and having at least one listener running (to start the car remotely), which means there's at least one additional processor being powered, even when the car is off and sitting in the garage or in a parking lot somewhere?

That seems like an absolutely horrible idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wait...what?

This means that the car's cell connection is always powered and active, and having at least one listener running (to start the car remotely), which means there's at least one additional processor being powered, even when the car is off and sitting in the garage or in a parking lot somewhere?

That seems like an absolutely horrible idea.
I have the InControl Pro setup and my Sim Card was not activated correctly by the dealer. I am unable to use the Live Function or Search in the Nav since there is no data connection. It's quite frustrating because the dealer is asking for me to visit the Service Center when I am pretty sure they just need to activate it over the phone or internet.

However, my InControl App is working and I can Lock the car remotely and Start if need be. This would assume that the Sim Card Data plan is independent of the remote operation of the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I was able to set up all online Jaguar services but not the AT&T connectivity. Apparently they're workin on it? Just picked up my car on Monday so I thought it was isolated to me because no one who has already taken possession had mentioned it before. Did everyone else get set up? There is/was supposedly an email I was supposed to receive from AT&T with the codes and instructions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I was able to set up all online Jaguar services but not the AT&T connectivity. Apparently they're workin on it? Just picked up my car on Monday so I thought it was isolated to me because no one who has already taken possession had mentioned it before. Did everyone else get set up? There is/was supposedly an email I was supposed to receive from AT&T with the codes and instructions?
I've heard the exact same thing regarding the email from AT&T. I have tried calling AT&T to get a new SIM Card but they won't do it and keep pointing me in the direction of the dealer. However, the dealer is asking me to come in to the service center. I'm not sure that it will help though and it sounds like something they can do remotely.
I wonder if we are the only two or if there are more? I would have thought more people would have been complaining here if it was affecting everyone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts