Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year subscriptions run out Dec. 5th and was all set to renew them.
But with the AT&T 3G sunset set to take place on February 22 2022, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
Spoke to JLR customer service and the rep I spoke with had no clue as to the status of the 2017 3G vehicles.
Also spoke with my dealership and the AT&T connected car division and neither had any info.
Maps are $169 for 3 years and all I'd lose there is the traffic info, but the InControl Remote and Protect for 12 months is $119 and I think nothing there will work without 3G.
Hopefully, they can do a flash of the telematics unit or a hardware update, as some other manufacturers are doing.
I still will have CarPlay, so all is not lost, but it's crazy that there's no info available.
Anybody hear anything on this issue?

Reactions: ctufieldops

·
Registered
205 Posts
Subscribed for confirmation about 3G dependence for remote connectivity.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's been a while since it was discussed, but I'm pretty sure LTE/5G require a totally different telematics unit. I didn't renew when I expired in July and have been using my phone for WAZE.

I haven't heard anything about the second sim (that's only for JLR), but presume it goes away, as well.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am in a similar boat as my subscriptions will expire in January. Hopefully before then I can get the latest ICTP update that fixes CarPlay audio and that will suffice. I would have easily renewed if there was a resolution to address the 3G network retirement that is stranding the 2017 models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in a similar boat as my subscriptions will expire in January. Hopefully before then I can get the latest ICTP update that fixes CarPlay audio and that will suffice. I would have easily renewed if there was a resolution to address the 3G network retirement that is stranding the 2017 models.
subscibed to follow discussion

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve decided to renew both subscriptions. My thought process is that if JLR comes up with a 3G fix, having an existing subscription gives me some leverage for receiving the upgrade. I read somewhere that Subaru was doing upgrades but only for current subscribers. Anyway, I feel like I’m ahead of the game financially with 5 years of no cost maintenance and subscriptions.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like your logic. It may or may not pan out, but worth a shot. If nothing else, you can push for a refund on the subscription if AT&T pulls the plug on 3G and there's no fix.

·
F Pace Expert
2,549 Posts
“Our team of engineers is working alongside AT&T to determine a solution for the 3G sunset, but they have to announce what form or when that solution will be. Rest assured, all affected vehicle owners will be notified once a determination has been made.”

received this today in response to my inquiry to Jaguar customer service

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I can tell you what happened when BMW was faced with a similar situation--they offered a retrofit kit, disabled current system (for safety reasons so nobody depending on "OnStar" like emergency services), or offered the customer a gift card.

·
Registered
88 Posts
New to me ‘18 F Pace, I just got a new TCU on warranty. I asked about the 3G situation and the dealer said they don’t have a solution for it yet but that my ‘18 was on 4G. I don’t use the ICTP nav, prefer Waze on CarPlay but it would suck to loose Remote Climate. My ‘16 Type will lose connection but I really don’t use any of the ICT nav or Remote Climate features with that one.

·
F Pace Expert
2,549 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I can tell you what happened when BMW was faced with a similar situation--they offered a retrofit kit, disabled current system (for safety reasons so nobody depending on "OnStar" like emergency services), or offered the customer a gift card.
I would be willing to pay for a reasonably priced retrofit kit (say $300 or lower)

Reactions: YYZ

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
“Our team of engineers is working alongside AT&T to determine a solution for the 3G sunset, but they have to announce what form or when that solution will be. Rest assured, all affected vehicle owners will be notified once a determination has been made.”
You would think by now they would have a plan, since the sunset was only announced 3 or 4 years ago.:)
In anticipation of the sunset, I dropped my 3G Connected Car add on with AT&T ($10 month) and switched to a plan (unlimited elite) which includes 40GB of mobile hotspot data. With my military discount, it's the same price as my old plan, which was not unlimited data. I tested the hotspot connected to the car's WiFi and it works well and auto connects every time.
Traded in my iPhone XS Max for a 13 Pro Max.
If the built in hidden sim stops working, I'll lose the InControl Remote, but it never really was reliable for me.
It's disappointing that they used 3G in the 2017, when it was already on it's way out.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Small update on my 3G Sunset plan.
After getting my new iPhone 13 Pro Max, the car was having trouble seeing the phone’s WiFi network. Previous iPhone XS Max worked fine.
Turns out the iPhone 12 and later use 5ghz for the personal hotspot and my 2017 F-Pace uses 2.4ghz for WiFi. The fix is to switch on maximize compatibility in settings under personal hotspot.
Hopes this helps someone else losing 3G.

Reactions: ExOz and gearFX

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Small update on my 3G Sunset plan.
After getting my new iPhone 13 Pro Max, the car was having trouble seeing the phone’s WiFi network. Previous iPhone XS Max worked fine.
Turns out the iPhone 12 and later use 5ghz for the personal hotspot and my 2017 F-Pace uses 2.4ghz for WiFi. The fix is to switch on maximize compatibility in settings under personal hotspot.
Hopes this helps someone else losing 3G.
Thought I had it figured out. However, still having trouble with the WiFi connection.
It seems that IOS 15 has added WPA 3 security protocols for the personal hotspot and that seems to be incompatible with the F-Pace WiFi.
Guess at this point short of buying a stand alone MiFi device, I'll just use CarPlay.
Thanks JLR.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. Final update on the WiFi connection. 2 weeks later and everything is working again as it did when I tested with my old phone. Other than iOS 15.2.1 update nothing changed. Car now connects to the phone’s personal hotspot automatically at start. Seems like it will be a good workaround for losing 3G.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I let me subscriptions lapse on the 1/16 anniversary date. The Remote Start feature has rarely worked for me and with CarPlay working I don't think I need the connected map services. I did find that Pro Services still work until 2027 and include Live (weather, etc.) We'll see how things work when the 3G network gets turned down in my area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.