Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that the F Pace's ride is harsh. I have found that two 40 lb. bags of softener salt in the trunk and a full gas tank significantly improves the ride quality. I had already reduced the tire pressure, as was suggested by other owners, to 36 lbs. per tire. It helped somewhat but not as much as adding the weight. For what its worth.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The ride quality below 10-15 MPH is the worst of any daily driver I’ve owned-especially when driving over speed bumps and the car does the bobble head bounce.
Lowering the tire pressure and a full tank of gas doesn’t do much if anything to improve the ride.
It seems doubtful putting ballast in the cargo area would help.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I’ve not felt the “harsh ride” that many have discussed. I’ve always favored a firm ride so that may factor into this.
Is it possible that those with adaptive dynamics (standard on S, optional on Premium, Portfolio, and R-Sport) have a different ride quality than those without?
I notice four-walling has an S model, so in his case I guess not.
I run my 20” tires midway between light and normal, about 37 PSI. Even at the higher PSI for normal, I didn’t feel the ride was too bouncy or harsh.
One thing I do is aggressively slow when I encounter speed bumps or crappy road conditions, so that may help in my case.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't mind the ride quality at all, I do notice a difference between normal and light load. I always run it in light load setting though and with tires about 34PSI. It isn't perfect but I feel it's pretty good, I do have mine lowered on H&R sport springs too but I'm really happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I don't mind the ride quality at all, I do notice a difference between normal and light load. I always run it in light load setting though and with tires about 34PSI. It isn't perfect but I feel it's pretty good, I do have mine lowered on H&R sport springs too but I'm really happy with it.
You mean you notice a difference between having 34lbs or pressure in your tires and when you have more than 34lbs of pressure, since the normal load versus light load makes literally no changes to the car? ?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
In my uneducated opinion ride is all about the rubber between you and the road. You want a cush ride? Get 18" rims... Want to look cool? get 22's... I can tell a big diff going from a vehicle with low profile tires vs "std" tires on the same road.. pressures are one thing, but room to flex is entirely another....JMHO

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I think this ride quality thing, totally depends on the F-Pace and the wheels fitted. I've driven 35T and 25T loaners with 20" and they didn't ride half as firm (notice I didn't say harsh) as my FE did from the factory with it's 22s, 40lbs in the tires and standard ride height springs. Since I lowered my FE with H&R springs which are progressive and run with 35lbs in the tires of my 22s, the ride is less firm, more compliant but still not as plush as the 25t/25t with 20s.

I can also tell you that my FE with the lowering springs and the stock 22 double helix's on it with Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, rides softer than my summer setup. But that is because the Tires and wheel are almost 2 inches narrower.

Again, it all depends on the wheel and tires.

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the ride is kinda stiff, but its more like a sports car type ride that i am happy with, cause it translates to better handling in my opinion. There is almost no roll when screaming around corners. I didn't buy this car to go on long comfortable car rides with the family. I bought it cause it looks great and drives aggressively.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I think the ride is kinda stiff, but its more like a sports car type ride that i am happy with, cause it translates to better handling in my opinion. There is almost no roll when screaming around corners. I didn't buy this car to go on long comfortable car rides with the family. I bought it cause it looks great and drives aggressively.
To be honest this is why I bought the car, if you really want a plush ride this isn't really the SUV for you because it was designed to handle and that means a bit firmer ride.

Reactions: Roadsterguy

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've got 20"'s and love the ride. I'll trade a bit of stiffness going over speed bumps for not having body roll going into corners. If you want plush, buy an Infiniti. They've got suspensions that are the automotive equivalent of Xanax.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Harsh ride?

I've got 20"'s and love the ride. I'll trade a bit of stiffness going over speed bumps for not having body roll going into corners. If you want plush, buy an Infiniti. They've got suspensions that are the automotive equivalent of Xanax.
Or a Lexus... my wife's old RX330 rode like an old Buick, and handled like it too. We had a 2011 BMW X5 with staggered 20's and it rode like a buckboard, but handled like crazy for a 5,000 lb SUV.

The new 25t with 19's handles nicely and isn't nearly as stiff as the X5. I suspect the X5 would have been much better with 19's too, but I like the F-Pace a lot more.

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
63 Posts

I third that, It was only when I joined this form did I learn that people bought this car as a family car or even a daily driver. Not sure about the other models but My S on 22's is stiff as a board. Any bump goes right up my spine. I mean I feel it when I cross a garden hose with this thing. I got caught on a brick road the other day, my face is still shaking. I can't imagine owning this car where the roads are not perfect like here in Central Florida.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm in Michigan and have 20s. I would have gotten the 22" wheels if they didn't come with summer tires. I took delivery of mine in the winter and wasn't going to drop another 1k on tires for a new vehicle. This is my primary vehicle and the one we take on family trips anywhere. I can't say the rough ride really bothers me. I also can't imagine buying any SUV for anything but a daily no matter how good it drives. My summer vehicles are motorcycles but if I didn't ride those then I'd have a sports car, not a SUV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm in Michigan and have 20s. I would have gotten the 22" wheels if they didn't come with summer tires. I took delivery of mine in the winter and wasn't going to drop another 1k on tires for a new vehicle. This is my primary vehicle and the one we take on family trips anywhere. I can't say the rough ride really bothers me. I also can't imagine buying any SUV for anything but a daily no matter how good it drives. My summer vehicles are motorcycles but if I didn't ride those then I'd have a sports car, not a SUV.

Sports cars are too small plus I always have the dog.

I know, crazy new world when Alpha, Lambo, Jag and others are making sports cars SUVs. But that is what is happening. 380hp soon to be 550hp (svr). Hardly a family car in my opinion. These are practical toys. If I had to drive a long distance the FP would be out, no arm rests etc. and the entire driving compartment is made for driving not riding. Even the tiny storage box and non entertainment system screach "leave it home and drive!" My GF's CX-5 GT is all Utility, The FP is all Sport.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anyone ever discuss the idea of the tires at the 22” size are all high performance generally. I would imagine most people, me included at first where looking at nitto’s, pirelli’s, conti’s or Michelin’s. All high performance. I changed over to a touring tire, the Milestar MS932 Sport. Go ahead read the reviews, stellar. Low road noise and super soft ride. That’s what you get with a touring tire. My summer 22’s with milestars is a “softer” ride than the stock 19’s with conti’s from factory, both at 41 psi per door sticker.

·
Registered
2019 F-Pace 30t
6 Posts
We all know that the F Pace's ride is harsh. I have found that two 40 lb. bags of softener salt in the trunk and a full gas tank significantly improves the ride quality. I had already reduced the tire pressure, as was suggested by other owners, to 36 lbs. per tire. It helped somewhat but not as much as adding the weight. For what its worth.
Those engineers who sweated to reduce every pound possible, using more expensive light materials like aluminum, are now contemplating a new career.

·
Registered
3 Posts
since a year I drive a F pace R.,befor a XF. I dislike the drive of my F pace. Unaccepteble hard. I’ve driven a Volvo X 60 and a BMW X3 and they are very comfortable,specialy on trafficbumps which I must take at say 5-10 mlh. Even my XKR hase more suplese when taking a bump or driving on all type of roadsurfaces. When I want a sporty drive I take my son’s F type.
I mean I’ve a lot of possebillities(?) to compare. My F Pace is on the ride the most dissapointing. Emile

1 - 20 of 28 Posts