Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what everyone thinks about how well the F-pace brakes. I currently own a prestige version, so my impression will most likely be different vs. those with the S model.

I hate these brakes. There seems to be a deadzone of about ~0.5 inches before I get any deceleration. Not only that, the car seems to LURCH forward when I'm coming to a complete stop while maintaining the SAME brake pressure! I don't understand why this happens. I have to increase the pressure of my braking as I'm slowing down in order to stop where I want it to stop. I have never owned any car where a constant braking pressure does not lead to a linear stopping behavior. Every other vehicle I have owned in the past (Infiniti G37S, BMW X5, Mercedes S500, etc) stops the same exact way....--> with the same brake pressure, there's a linear and predictable stopping behavior.

Does anyone else experience this? I'm currently in the process of looking for aftermarket brake pads (which may or may not help).

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have the Prestige as well. I haven't noticed your particular issue, but I have notice is their behavior after stopping. It seems like they grip excessively. I guess what I mean by that is that after releasing the brake, the car holds position for a second, then one can feel them release.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm interested in what everyone thinks about how well the F-pace brakes. I currently own a prestige version, so my impression will most likely be different vs. those with the S model.

I hate these brakes. There seems to be a deadzone of about ~0.5 inches before I get any deceleration. Not only that, the car seems to LURCH forward when I'm coming to a complete stop while maintaining the SAME brake pressure! I don't understand why this happens. I have to increase the pressure of my braking as I'm slowing down in order to stop where I want it to stop. I have never owned any car where a constant braking pressure does not lead to a linear stopping behavior. Every other vehicle I have owned in the past (Infiniti G37S, BMW X5, Mercedes S500, etc) stops the same exact way....--> with the same brake pressure, there's a linear and predictable stopping behavior.

Does anyone else experience this? I'm currently in the process of looking for aftermarket brake pads (which may or may not help).
Doesn't sound normal. My Premium does not behave like that.
Have you taken it to your dealer? Get it looked at!!!!
I don't believe replacing the brake pads is going to help your problem.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

I have an S and the braking is reliable and strong. There is a lot of pedal travel and I have experienced the car lurching forward before which is annoying but I've gotten used to it, it usually only happens when I am using the paddles and leave it in second when coming to a stop instead of downshifting to first.

·
Registered
589 Posts
... after releasing the brake, the car holds position for a second, then one can feel them release.
Isn't that typical "hill holding" behavior for modern cars? My late, great Jetta wagon with manual transmission held the brakes for a second or two to help impaired drivers work the clutch and gas without having to hold the brakes too. Drove me nuts :(
Anyway, I think I notice this too, though it is much more subtle than my last car.
I don't have any complaints about brake feel or predictability. I do notice, occasionally, a slight "bump" in them (or rather, in the car and I'm attributing it to the brakes), for example sometimes when backing out of my driveway. I think it may be the ABS getting triggered on uneven ground.

Reactions: ctufieldops

·
Registered
115 Posts
My Mercedes has long travel and feels very soft. It doesn't feel great if you are expecting a sportier brake, but it's GREAT for when you're in traffic and want a more comfortable feel to the braking when only having to stop from 30-40mph over and over again. From my test drive, these brakes feel better than those on my GLK, which is about the same weight as the F Pace. As far as the lurching? I think that's just from the transmission downshifting. I hated that in my GLK at first, but got used to it. I'd rather have the transmission ready to go in the right gear in case I need to punch the accelerator than have it take 1-2 seconds to figure out what gear it needs before engaging.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Definitely have felt the lurching and do attribute to the transmission. Does so with or without paddles engaged. Getting used to it but do not like it!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Definitely have felt the lurching and do attribute to the transmission. Does so with or without paddles engaged. Getting used to it but do not like it!
Agreed, it is most definitely attributed to the transmission and is something that you need to get used to so you don't accidentally bump the car in front of you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The lurching is the transmission and it seems to die down after a few thousand miles. I have 20k miles on mine and the lurching is non-existent. I don't have any issue with the braking...a little soft at first but then bites more than well enough. Prestige as well.

Reactions: JWreck and MTGRL

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Same thing here...It's as everyone said, the Tranny down shifting in the last second before stopping completely..I don't mind now, I'm use to it

BTW..Nothing is wrong...I repeat, NOTHING IS WRONG...it is one of those quirks we must live with.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Same thing here...It's as everyone said, the Tranny down shifting in the last second before stopping completely..I don't mind now, I'm use to it

BTW..Nothing is wrong...I repeat, NOTHING IS WRONG...it is one of those quirks we must live with.
I dont think anything is wrong I just find it weird. Ive driven the ZF 8 speed in other cars and have never experienced the lurching forward when coming to a stop... seems to only be in Jaguars application.

·
Registered
589 Posts
... seems to only be in Jaguars application.
Have any of the complaints on this come from diesel owners? Perhaps the (lots of) extra compression braking from the gas engine contributes to the bump stops.
This is the first automatic transmission I've purchased since 1977 when I got a Buick Vista Cruiser for 100 bucks. Including the hole burned in the front seat by the perps who had stolen it from the previous owner. I was fully prepared to hate the ZF, but aside from still trying to hit the clutch pedal with my left foot when I'm starting the car I'm not regretting having it. One of the strong points is that it *does* downshift in a fairly sporty way when slowing.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Have any of the complaints on this come from diesel owners? Perhaps the (lots of) extra compression braking from the gas engine contributes to the bump stops.
This is the first automatic transmission I've purchased since 1977 when I got a Buick Vista Cruiser for 100 bucks. Including the hole burned in the front seat by the perps who had stolen it from the previous owner. I was fully prepared to hate the ZF, but aside from still trying to hit the clutch pedal with my left foot when I'm starting the car I'm not regretting having it. One of the strong points is that it *does* downshift in a fairly sporty way when slowing.
Hm, it could be due to the tuning of the transmission in the petrol version of the engine due to the higher power numbers. Interesting I never thought that could be it. But agreed, ZF makes a fantastic transmission, which is why it is used across the board by many luxury car manufacturers.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The lurching is the transmission and it seems to die down after a few thousand miles. I have 20k miles on mine and the lurching is non-existent. I don't have any issue with the braking...a little soft at first but then bites more than well enough. Prestige as well.
Glad to hear this, I still only have 1,600 miles on mine. Picked it up last August, she's a garage Queen :). The funny part is that my Cat will be ready for the first scheduled service this August (1 year or 16,000 miles) and I will probably only have 2,200 miles by that time. So old school mentality on oil changes will happen by default >:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Glad to hear this, I still only have 1,600 miles on mine. Picked it up last August, she's a garage Queen :). The funny part is that my Cat will be ready for the first scheduled service this August (1 year or 16,000 miles) and I will probably only have 2,200 miles by that time. So old school mentality on oil changes will happen by default >:)
2200 miles in a year?? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think I can speak for your Fpace and say that she's desperate to get out of the garage and go out and about and take nice long drives.

You're crushing her soul! :(

jk..

Mine begs to be driven all the time.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Folks, we have a winner! I thought I was keeping things low with my 4,200 miles since August 9th!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone! I guess it might be a "Jaguar"-only behavior. My X5 uses the same transmission and I don't have the lurching issue while coming to a stop. I guess the only downside to this discussion is that I'm forced to live with this type of braking behavior

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone! I guess it might be a "Jaguar"-only behavior. My X5 uses the same transmission and I don't have the lurching issue while coming to a stop. I guess the only downside to this discussion is that I'm forced to live with this type of braking behavior
A lot of manufacturers use the ZF 8 speed, but they all customize it and tune it to their specific wants and needs. The way Jaguar has tuned it has caused a lurching forward when coming to a stop. Just something you'll have to get used to. But I have only found it to be when I am using the paddles and stay in second gear. I don't notice it when not using the paddles.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Wait a while and JAG will issue a maintenance bulletin and it will address this small yet noticeable lurching as it comes to a stop..I'm sure they are aware of it right now.....it will more than like be a re-flash of the ECT/TCU to correct this down shifting issue while stopping....They had similar up-dates for my XF's transmission.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts