Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a setting that will permanently lock the simple 2D map in the "North Up" mode? (Street view is different for obvious reasons). I am aware that tapping the compass icon will induce this orientation, but in my short experience with the F Pace, the maps have always eventually reverted to "Heading Up".

Yes,
I know this topic has been raised before and,
Yes
I have searched the forum, but,
No
I have not found a solid conclusion.

And, please, don't turn this thread into a fruitless argument, by debating personal preferences about which is "better"; no competent navigators I know, whether on land, sea or sky will turn a chart, map, atlas or mud-map upside down just because they happen to be facing south.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
And, please, don't turn this thread into a fruitless argument, by debating personal preferences about which is "better"; no competent navigators I know, whether on land, sea or sky will turn a chart, map, atlas or mud-map upside down just because they happen to be facing south.
This one made me smile, decades in remote sensing, satellite imagery, and GIS applications; I could not agree with you more. I hate the way the system on my older Jag only reverts to true north when zoomed out, I have not had a chance to use the FP system yet, but will be digging around for an answer as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Totally agree with you - the option to have north=up has only been available since the ICTP upgrade on my car at least. Mine seems to default to that now - I have not been aware of it reverting...

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
Has anyone found a setting that will permanently lock the simple 2D map in the "North Up" mode? (Street view is different for obvious reasons). I am aware that tapping the compass icon will induce this orientation, but in my short experience with the F Pace, the maps have always eventually reverted to "Heading Up".

Yes,
Yes
No

Using compass I'm pretty sure mine stays in direction of travel until I restart vehicle. I'll goof with it more to confirm.

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
Confirmed today and I can't explain why there would be a difference. My navigation stays in direction of travel orientation once i've set it there. Did so after picking vehicle up post update and still in that mode several days later.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VZX-CO, yes that is the mode it always reverts to: direction of travel, i.e. "Heading Up"! The question is the exact opposite: ... how do you keep the display to stay in "North Up" orientation????

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Im a little confused, why would you want the navigation screen to stay in 'north up' configuration? That seems like it'd be a little confusing trying to figure out the direction of travel and following the screen. I like that it follows the true direction of travel. IMO of course.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
"And, please, don't turn this thread into a fruitless argument, by debating personal preferences about which is "better"; no competent navigators I know, whether on land, sea or sky will turn a chart, map, atlas or mud-map upside down just because they happen to be facing south."

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See OP:-

"And, please, don't turn this thread into a fruitless argument, by debating personal preferences about which is "better"; no competent navigators I know, whether on land, sea or sky will turn a chart, map, atlas or mud-map upside down just because they happen to be facing south."

I really didn't want to invite a debate on the merits of personal preferences .... they are after all personal. I just want to know how it's done.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
See OP:-

I really didn't want to invite a debate on the merits of personal preferences .... they are after all personal. I just want to know how it's done.
Im not debating anything, I'm curious as to what the reasoning would be as to why you would want it like that. If the answer is "because its personal preference" thats good enough for me. 0:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you have the Super Update done, the icon in the lower right of the nav brings up display options including North up, as well as traffic etc. Prior to update this icon would bring up a different options page, but often it would not display all the options. The screen after update is very different and very consistent.

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
VZX-CO, yes that is the mode it always reverts to: direction of travel, i.e. "Heading Up"! The question is the exact opposite: ... how do you keep the display to stay in "North Up" orientation????
Sorry, brain wires crossed.

No debate but my preference for closer in view is direction of travel and for wide view of entire road trip route north up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have the Super Update done, the icon in the lower right of the nav brings up display options including North up, as well as traffic etc. Prior to update this icon would bring up a different options page, but often it would not display all the options. The screen after update is very different and very consistent.
Thanks Mike (?). I look forward to these options when I have my update done next week.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Sorry, brain wires crossed.

No debate but my preference for closer in view is direction of travel and for wide view of entire road trip route north up.
To piggyback on this, as one who does not have the Pro, my preference is to have the main display show the map with north always up, and the center screen between the two large gauge clusters show direction of travel close up turn by turn.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To piggyback on this, as one who does not have the Pro, my preference is to have the main display show the map with north always up, and the center screen between the two large gauge clusters show direction of travel close up turn by turn.
Good to know, theweeb. Similarly, with PRO, you can have the "gauge cluster" replaced by a full size zoomed map view that by default seems to be "Heading Up". Thus the best of both worlds .... all the more reason to be able to set the "main display" to "North Up".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ed

Yes,
Yes
No

I originally posted about this issue in September. I specifically took my F-Pace in to the dealer yesterday for the software update. It took three hours, but now there is an option for locking it to north where you would expect to find it (i.e. when you press the "layers" symbol in the bottom conner of the map image. Works as it should.

The software update also fixed another problem which I had posted about: different audio devices starting up when restarting the car - sometimes iPod, sometimes radio seemingly quite randomly. There now is a new option to define the "source" in the media set up (not the one at the top right of the media menu list within the media player which I was having to use to return to iPod). It doesn't explain what this option actually does, but having selected my iPod within that menu option it now consistently starts with the iPod when I start the car up. I assume the system is waiting to find the preferred media source rather than starting to play before all the media sources have booted up.

For those who have questioned why you would want north fixed at the top, among several possible reasons are that one sets the destination knowing exactly how to get there but in order to get the traffic information for the route and to see estimated arrival time. If this is all that's wanted then having the map rotating all the time is distracting. Also if you know roughly where you are going (the pub near a friend's house) but don't have a postcode for it, it's easy to find one's way there if you already have map reading skills, but not when the map is continually rotating.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

For those who have questioned why you would want north fixed, among several possible reasons are that one sets the destination knowing exactly how to get there but in order to get the traffic information for the route and to see estimated arrival time. If this is all that's wanted then having the map rotating all the time is distracting. Also if you know roughly where you are going (the pub near a friend's house) but don't have a postcode for it, it's easy to find one's way there if you already have map reading skills, but not when the map is continually rotating.
Before this turns into a debate (which I mentioned trying to avoid in the original post), now that it's been raised again, some of the reasons navigators always have maps oriented North-Up are:-

* Captain Cook sailed DOWN around the Cape of Good Hope
* Sir Francis Drake sailed UP the west coast of America
* Christopher Columbus sailed ACROSS the Atlantic
* Santa Claus lives UP on the North Pole
* Penguins live DOWN in the Antarctic
* every Globe I've ever seen has the southern hemisphere DOWN on the bottom
* if your FP was unloaded in Baltimore, the ship sailed UP the Chesapeake Bay
* the snow-birds travel DOWN to Florida in the winter
* the leaf-peepers drive UP to New England in the fall
* you eat Cajun food "way DOWN yonder in New Orleans"
* the north of Michigan is the UPPER peninsular
* the US Interstates are clearly marked N S E W, not left or right
* etc. etc.

The genius of the ICTP system (after the update), is that you can set your map to be North-Up, oriented like a normal map, and yet the zoomed map view you can call up in your instrument cluster (through the steering wheel controls) will be Heading-Up, showing upcoming corners (on a country road) and left/right turns in the city. The best of both worlds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts