Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note
1 …. Apology to the forum “old hands” …. this topics was discussed before, but we never really got a clear answer
2 …. I have no practical reason to search for an answer other than I don’t like it when I don’t know how something works
3 …. This is about ICTP navigation, not ICT

Observation
When you touch the map screen it brings up three touch buttons on the right edge – a compass, a + & - zoom icon to change the scale, and, a round arrow-nav button at the top

The nav button is accompanied by a display that shows the distance from your car to the point you touched on the map (as the crow flies) as well as the address of that place (if you happened to touch at a point that has an address). The nav button is surrounded by a circle with a small arrowhead that rotates as you touch different points on the map …. can’t make sense of the different directions the arrowhead points to …. doesn’t seem to be compass point related. Interestingly, if you do this while driving, the distance mentioned above updates dynamically.

You can get rid of this whole display by touching the nav button, or the map will revert to normal after about 20 seconds or so, if you don’t do anything.

Question
Has anyone found a practical use for this feature? Not a biggie, but slightly annoying when you touch the screen, squeezing or expanding just for the purpose of zooming to a different scale.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, come on guys/gals. I know I said it's not a matter of life and death; but

does anyone have any idea? does anyone use this feature? what's it for? why did they build this into the Nav system?

Apart from the fact that it's a bit of a pain coming up when you just want to "pinch" the screen, would be good to know what it is meant to be good for.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When in the map mode my zoom and orientation buttons are on the left side, not right.

I am not able to false positive a touch when pinching to zoom in/out and I can use a finger to drag the map around to explore. Only when I deliberately touch a location does it bring up the address/distance info that you referenced. I guess handy if I was exploring a map and wanted to touch a location/building/landmark to get directions.

Are you on the latest 2.5 update?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for getting back Gorgon.

Yes, I do have the 2.5 updates. Our F-Pace is fabulous – five months and about 5k miles. Only real issue – I still have somewhat unreliable connectivity.

The Nav screen is just an oddity for me. The distance display referenced, comes on, even when I use a finger to move the map around; the address comes on when I use a definite touch; and I can’t for the life of me understand what the little rotating arrow around the icon is for. Has to be for some reason, wouldn’t you think?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
ExOZ you are in Australia right? that is why those icons are on the different side of the screen.

So my ICTP does as you say when I search in by pinching to zoom in or zooming out. Mostly, when I do this I'm zooming out to see traffic on the route I'm about to take or I'm looking for a specific place I want to go on the map and pressing and then setting a destination. I find this way to destinations quicker some times than typing in the address in for a location I want to get the quickest route to.

But to answer your question, I never use those icons!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to you too, PA ... Am still mystified what the icon with its rotating arrowhead is for.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thanks to you too, PA ... Am still mystified what the icon with its rotating arrowhead is for.
There are three icon sets. The green arrow with circle will snap the map back to the current GPS location of the car after swiping the map to a new location. The +/- are zoom and the compass circle will turn the map North up. Does that help?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again; suspect you are correct .... I was expecting something more complex than to just snap back to the previous screen. I do get the value of showing a specific address.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So i get this, but I like the fact that I can change the scaling on my maps, but I cant seem to do that in the fpace without changing to where it shows you how far you are from where you touched.

Anyone know how to change the scaling and keeping it at that level?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So i get this, but I like the fact that I can change the scaling on my maps, but I cant seem to do that in the fpace without changing to where it shows you how far you are from where you touched.

Exactly. And that's what makes me wonder if we are missing something. Why would they design such an elaborate GUI, that's in fact distracting? What is the little rotating arrowhead on the outside of the icon for? And how useful is it to know the distance as the crow flies?

Anyone know how to change the scaling and keeping it at that level?
]/quote]

[If you then only touch the + or - and wait a few seconds it will change the scale and then revert to the original. Still seems awfully elaborate for a simple function

·
Registered
131 Posts
I guess we are the ones who just don't get this?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, with so much in cars now being software controlled, it's getting to be a bit like multi-use computer programs (MS Office etc.) where 90% of users are only using 10% of the features - not always the same 10% mind you.

Still, this one has me stumped. Doesn't seem like common sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts