Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation:

1. ..... From this forum, the manual as well as trail & error, I "know" the "built-in" connectivity and the "owner sim" (original AT&T) connections use different hardware/software and serve different purposes
2. ..... I have also read all (?) references here on updates, particularly as they pertain to the 3G situation, such as the Topics Field Action K444NAS1: Telematics Unit.
3. ..... This update is scheduled for next month (we are a long way out and there is little traffic here, so some of the "extra" features are not urgent)
4. ..... Since it hasn't been that urgent, we have also NOT renewed the "elapsed" AT&T data plan; so we still have an AT&T account, it shows no data plan (but the facility to renew it) and the "owner sim" is still sitting in its slot under the arm-rest
5. .... Driving along, the connectivity icon (top right) routinely shows one of three states: 3G, or trying to connect (moving dots), or a crossed-out "C", showing no connectivity; Note: even though there is no data plan, we still get the 3G showing when in an AT&T coverage area
6. .... Invoking the search function in Navigation, when there is no connectivity or when it is trying to connect, brings up a message that warns that there is no internet connection, that the results will be limited to the data on the downloaded maps and that results would be better if the car were connected. Makes sense to me.

HOWEVER

7. .... When the screen shows 3G (remember there is NO data plan), I can search for petrol stations restaurants, etc., etc. to my heart's content, and they duly appear
8. .... Similarly, with 3G showing, I can bring up the traffic view (which in may case nearly always says there is no traffic)

What I don't get:
9. .... even with 3G showing, the "Live" apps (weather, news, flight tracker) tell me that they can not make a connection or update

SO

What (else) am I really missing, if I don't use the connection that comes with the "owner sim" and corresponding data plan?

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
For # 7 those are Points of Interest, POI's which are built into the mapping system.

With # 5 have you ever noticed on a cell phone that has no service contract there is still signal strength you just can't use it. Same applies here.

For # 4 the SIM is yours. You can replace it with a different compatible SIM from another carrier. There are threads on this topic.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edited

Situation:

1. ..... From this forum, the manual as well as trail & error, I "know" the "built-in" connectivity and the "owner sim" (original AT&T) connections use different hardware/software and serve different purposes
2. ..... I have also read all (?) references here on updates, particularly as they pertain to the 3G situation, such as the Topics Field Action K444NAS1: Telematics Unit.
3. ..... This update is scheduled for next month (we are a long way out and there is little traffic here, so some of the "extra" features are not urgent)
4. ..... Since it hasn't been that urgent, we have also NOT renewed the "elapsed" AT&T data plan; so we still have an AT&T account, it shows no data plan (but the facility to renew it) and the "owner sim" is still sitting in its slot under the arm-rest
5. .... Driving along, the connectivity icon (top right) routinely shows one of three states: 3G, or trying to connect (moving dots), or a crossed-out "C", showing no connectivity; Note: even though there is no data plan, we still get the 3G showing when in an AT&T coverage area
6. .... Invoking the search function in Navigation, when there is no connectivity or when it is trying to connect, brings up a message that warns that there is no internet connection, that the results will be limited to the data on the downloaded maps and that results would be better if the car were connected. Makes sense to me.

HOWEVER

7. .... When the screen shows 3G (remember there is NO data plan), I can search for petrol stations restaurants, etc., etc. to my heart's content, and they duly appear
8. .... Similarly, with 3G showing, I can bring up the 2nd panel traffic notes (which in may case nearly always say there is no traffic)

What I don't get:
9. .... even with 3G showing, the "Live" apps (weather, news, flight tracker) tell me that they can not make a connection or update

SO

What (else) am I really missing, if I don't use a data plan that supports the "owner sim"?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For # 7 those are Points of Interest, POI's which are built into the mapping system.

With # 5 have you ever noticed on a cell phone that has no service contract there is still signal strength you just can't use it. Same applies here.

For # 4 the SIM is yours. You can replace it with a different compatible SIM from another carrier. There are threads on this topic.
Yes I know all that. Why does the warning about the POI's not show when 3 G is showing?

What else am I missing?

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
It sounds like another JLR glitch. When it thinks it's connected to 3 G it may think that the internet is available.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like another JLR glitch. When it thinks it's connected to 3 G it may think that the internet is available.
That still doesn't tell me what I'm missing. How come I get traffic notes? If the only difference is in the weather, flight tracker and news apps, and maybe more up-to-date "live" POI's, it hardly seems worth it. There's got to be more to it than that!!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've had this question as well and this is what I've dug out of the manual.

In addition to the Live apps (weather, flight, news, browser, etc) you also can create a WiFi hotspot in the vehicle. I assume this is slow since it's 3G instead of LTE. Need to run a speed test to see how fast this connection is for me in the city compared to my phone.

You also get Connected Navigation with the following features:

• My Communte
  • Navigation profiles
  • Real time traffic flow
  • Fuel price service - can sort fuel stations by price
  • Parking service
  • Online search - real time info on POIs which enhances the POI info already in the map data
  • Safety cameras
  • Satellite views
  • Street level imagery
  • Online routing
  • Cloud sync
  • Door to door routing via InControl Route Planner app
  • ETA sharing

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Gorgon for your detailed response. I was aware of the Hotspot capability, but had forgotten to mention it in my missive.

Now, what would be really helpful if lots of folks out there could comment on just what the items in Gorgon's list really do, how they actually work and how useful you have found them; e.g. what does "online routing" or "safety cameras" etc. etc. really mean?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks Gorgon for your detailed response. I was aware of the Hotspot capability, but had forgotten to mention it in my missive.

Now, what would be really helpful if lots of folks out there could comment on just what the items in Gorgon's list really do, how they actually work and how useful you have found them; e.g. what does "online routing" or "safety cameras" etc. etc. really mean?
Safety cameras are speed cameras, online routing happens in the cloud versus the algorithm locally on the vehicle, can take into account traffic while it computes route.

Some details here:

Jaguar Connected Navigation | Jaguar USA

And here:

Jaguar InControl®| Jaguar USA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts