Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So took my 2018 F Pace in for its service, asked to update the software they have just told me they have blown a module while trying to do so, they have had it for 3 days they have been informed by JLR to check all wires are connected properly, the dealer has said they will ask for it to be covered by warranty, I told them I won’t be paying!

The car has just over 100,000km on it, worried they will try and get out of it now, also a 3 week wait for the module apparently!

Sorry I asked them to update it now, anyone else had these issues?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your car is under warranty you should not have a problem. I waited three weeks for a new telematics module that had gone bad. Covered under warranty as my car still has 15,000 miles and another 10 months of factory warranty. My understanding is the dealers are reluctant to "update" anything without JLR's blessing because bricking a module is a risk and if the dealership does it on their own, they get to pay for it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
A MY18 with 100k km is probably out of the warranty period (time and/or distance, depending on geography). Still, I'd agree the onus is on the dealer to make it right. Of course, as discussed in another current thread, dealers won't necessarily volunteer to cover the full cost of something THEY broke. I share the issue with that.

Meanwhile, in the early days of the F-Pace, there were a number of cases where dealers bricked a ICTP module during an update. I haven't heard much lately - which may be because they've gotten better at the process and/or there are fewer updates being made as the system has become more stable. Probably some of each. But, yes, it's definitely happened.

Reactions: David_D

·
F Pace Expert
2,547 Posts
Earlier on this was a fairly frequently reported issue until Jaguar ironed out update procedures dealer documentation and their software.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A MY18 with 100k km is probably out of the warranty period (time and/or distance, depending on geography). Still, I'd agree the onus is on the dealer to make it right. Of course, as discussed in another current thread, dealers won't necessarily volunteer to cover the full cost of something THEY broke. I share the issue with that.

Meanwhile, in the early days of the F-Pace, there were a number of cases where dealers bricked a ICTP module during an update. I haven't heard much lately - which may be because they've gotten better at the process and/or there are fewer updates being made as the system has become more stable. Probably some of each. But, yes, it's definitely happened.
Thanks for that, this is exactly my concern now, as they way they were talking on the phone, it was "we will ask for warranty from JLR, but not sure we will get it" to which I replied "I wont be paying"

Issue will be not sure where I will stand legally if they refuse?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for that, this is exactly my concern now, as they way they were talking on the phone, it was "we will ask for warranty from JLR, but not sure we will get it" to which I replied "I wont be paying"

Issue will be not sure where I will stand legally if they refuse?
You went it for an update, they did and it dint work perfect. But so what?
The obvious question is the only one that will matter.. do you have warranty on it?
You should have an exact date that it began and the policy in your area. On my last 2018 it was 7 or 160,000km, which was Nov 2024.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To actually correct it, I took it in for a service and asked them to ensure the system was up to date during the service. Regardless of in warranty or not if they (as in the dealer) damage something, in my opinion the responsibility lies with them.E.G. If I asked them to change the wiper blades and they smashed the windscreen surely they wouldn't expect me to pay.
Anyway doesn't matter the question was more around has it happened to someone else on a software update, or is it more the incompetence of the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also curious on outcome. I sourced my own new PCM after it failed during an update, dealer said 3 weeks, mine arrived in under 1. Took it to the dealer service and (after being screwed around multiple times… very long story) they said they were running the mileage portion of the ‘reset’ only to get an error message about particulates during the regeneration cycle. This dealer doesn’t deal with much Diesel engines so I am basically hoping they can get it to run without corrupting my car park by part.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So took my 2018 F Pace in for its service, asked to update the software they have just told me they have blown a module while trying to do so, they have had it for 3 days they have been informed by JLR to check all wires are connected properly, the dealer has said they will ask for it to be covered by warranty, I told them I won’t be paying!

The car has just over 100,000km on it, worried they will try and get out of it now, also a 3 week wait for the module apparently!

Sorry I asked them to update it now, anyone else had these issues?
Got my FP-S Petrol new back in Aug., 2017. Six months in the service dept. bricked the ICTP system. Eight months later, they did it again. I knew they were going to have to eat the considerable expense and I could tell they were not happy about it. Those early days this seemed to happen a lot. They are now more savvy and battle-scarred then back in '17. They'll try to fight back sometimes even when appearance may be 'under warranty'. Stand your ground......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts